Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cap on Bennies from Min Max Rule

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cap on Bennies from Min Max Rule

    The "savage worlds zone" combat request I made lead me to a site that had a really nifty rule regarding bennies (see below). It mentions a "max number" per character. Does anyone know what determines the max number?

  • #2
    I'm not sure what they mean by maximum bennies, unless they mean 'the number of bennies you normally start with.' Normally, that would be 3, but with Edges you could start a session with more or less than that. In play, there really isn't a "maximum" number of bennies... other than however many the GM wants to hand out.
    'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'

    The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes, sorry. In this person's hack there's a maximum pool size you have - it's a house rule. You can never have more than that.

      Comment


      • #4
        It might refer to a "pool" of sorts, where once you hit the top you can't acquire more until you spend one. But it's not a cap on how many you can actually earn in a session.

        For instance, let's say the max is 5. Since you start the game with 3 bennies you can acquire 2 more (assuming you haven't used one yet) and that's it. Even if you pull off an incredibly awesome stunt and Wow the whole table... Sorry, no Benny for you. You're at max.

        This is likely a rule to discourage excessive hoarding.

        Comment


        • #5
          Not sure what the minmaxweanies use as their house rule max, but my group uses a similar Benny Carry Over rule and we use a max of twice your starting allotment. So usually six, but can be more or less depending on Edges. This is simply a maximum number of bennies a character can have at one time. Once they are at max they don't earn any more until they spend one.

          Comment


          • #6
            That would be my page. Yes, the "maximum bennies" is however many bennies you would normally start the night with. So, a normal character can never have no more than 3 bennies at a time. A character with Luck can never have more than 4 bennies at a time. Characters with hindrances that limit bennies instead do not receive the first benny of any session.

            Not included on that page, but there now, is our house rule that says if you have more than your max, you can give it to someone.

            Also, I cleaned up my potty mouth. Didn't know the public was reading that page.

            I'm pretty happy with the rule for the two reasons given - the "it's almost the end of the session I'll spend every benny now" and the "I'm low on bennies, lets quit for the night and everything will be much better next session".

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by paladintodd View Post
              That would be my page. Yes, the "maximum bennies" is however many bennies you would normally start the night with. So, a normal character can never have no more than 3 bennies at a time.
              Hmm, that seems a little punitive to the players in the sense that sometimes they will start a session exactly the same as the base rules, and sometimes they will start worse off. There is no possibility that they will start out better off than RAW. Admittedly your extra benny earning opportunities look like they would go a long way to compensate for that,

              Not included on that page, but there now, is our house rule that says if you have more than your max, you can give it to someone.
              This also helps compensate for the low max value, but does make the Common Bond Edge somewhat superfluous.

              I'm pretty happy with the rule for the two reasons given - the "it's almost the end of the session I'll spend every benny now" and the "I'm low on bennies, lets quit for the night and everything will be much better next session".
              Yes, those are the reasons my group instituted a benny carry over rule too, Like I said we use twice the normal starting allotment as the max a character can have at one time, so sometimes a character starts a session worse off and sometimes better off than RAW. We also added a rule that if a character has less than their normal starting allotment at the start of a session or going into a major "scene" like a combat, dramatic task, chase, etc., they get a benny. This helps encourage players to spend bennies since they won't get these bonus bennies if they are hoarding. It also makes sure nobody starts a session or a critical scene completely "out of luck".

              Didn't know the public was reading that page.
              Yep, all your house rules provide at the minimum some good food for thought. My group is using your take on zone maps, thought we've modified how it handles AoE attacks. We had been using a system posted on the old forums, but I think yours much better handles characters that don't have a Pace of 6.





              Comment


              • #8
                Fair critique, James.

                I'll say that, for me, the players now have more bennies. Without hard & fast rules, I tended not to think about/give them out. So for my players, they suddenly have more bennies and they are happy. A GM that gave out lots of bennies that went to this method - players could complain.

                Good catch on Common Bond. I'll admit that I haven't looked over all the edges and made adjustments or thought about the impact. Instead, I just deal with them as players ask. Common Bond would allow you to still give bennies if you weren't over your max, but should probably get a little boost of some sort. Your players just lose bennies if over max?

                Or, depending on players, you could get rid of the max. I found I had a player or two that would hoard their bennies, only to use them in case of death. Which, maybe I don't really care about, but we play on Roll20 which means they had a giant blue line going across their token. That annoyed my OCD hence the max bennie rule.





                Comment


                • #9
                  easy way to limit maximum bennies is no more than twice your starting pool at a time. so a character with 3 starting bennies can't have more than 6, and a character with 7 starting bennies can't have more than 14, but it takes 2 edges, a specific fantasy race and an extremely crippling major hindrance to start the game with 7 bennies

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by paladintodd View Post
                    Good catch on Common Bond. I'll admit that I haven't looked over all the edges and made adjustments or thought about the impact. Instead, I just deal with them as players ask. Common Bond would allow you to still give bennies if you weren't over your max, but should probably get a little boost of some sort.
                    Right, the Common Bond Edge isn't useless in your system, but is fairly weak as written since in your system everyone can give bennies away if they earn one when at max. And with the low max and all those benny earning opportunities I imagine that is a frequent occurrence. Unless your players spend bennies like mad.

                    Your players just lose bennies if over max?
                    Yes, but since the max is 6 for most players it does not happen too much. Originally we had no max but after a session where someone carried over 7 or 8 we instituted one.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Ilina_Young View Post
                      easy way to limit maximum bennies is no more than twice your starting pool at a time. so a character with 3 starting bennies can't have more than 6, and a character with 7 starting bennies can't have more than 14, but it takes 2 edges, a specific fantasy race and an extremely crippling major hindrance to start the game with 7 bennies
                      That's what I ended up doing back in my XCOM campaign days. Partly because I'm sloppy about awarding bennies I use a variation on the get-bennie-on-joker rule (I just give them to the person who drew the joker), and the luck of the draw and conservative play would sometimes lead to some degenerate results.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by thomas5251212 View Post

                        That's what I ended up doing back in my XCOM campaign days. Partly because I'm sloppy about awarding bennies I use a variation on the get-bennie-on-joker rule (I just give them to the person who drew the joker), and the luck of the draw and conservative play would sometimes lead to some degenerate results.
                        being stingy with bennies leads to players hoarding them to soak damage or save their characters from death and also makes it more likely that players will take a broad variety of skills and never roll untrained skill checks unless they are forced to or have jack of all trades.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ilina_Young View Post

                          being stingy with bennies leads to players hoarding them to soak damage or save their characters from death and also makes it more likely that players will take a broad variety of skills and never roll untrained skill checks unless they are forced to or have jack of all trades.
                          I didn't say I did it deliberately (in fact, I started using that rule because I was not giving out enough). But there's a difference between "Giving out enough bennies" and "some players accumulating 8 of them and therefor being able to splurge like hell" which I saw in some cases, and didn't find benign.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think of bennies as "plot emphasis" - players and GM both spend them on things they want to emphasize in the narrative. This includes character survival, success at that one task, damage (when allowed), activating special abilities (that ability is now a plot device), and any other uses.
                            If a player is spending six bennies on a single thing then that thing is now vital to that player's narrative. Possibly because it is proving unobtainable, possibly because it is a climatic action, or maybe it is important the the character's personal arc. Regardless, that level of benny investment makes it A Big Deal - so the GM should be bringing it back up in various ways until it is fully resolved.
                            I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
                              I think of bennies as "plot emphasis" - players and GM both spend them on things they want to emphasize in the narrative. This includes character survival, success at that one task, damage (when allowed), activating special abilities (that ability is now a plot device), and any other uses.
                              If a player is spending six bennies on a single thing then that thing is now vital to that player's narrative. Possibly because it is proving unobtainable, possibly because it is a climatic action, or maybe it is important the the character's personal arc. Regardless, that level of benny investment makes it A Big Deal - so the GM should be bringing it back up in various ways until it is fully resolved.
                              That was the point, though; it wasn't necessarily because it was important, it was just near the end of the session and they figured "Use 'em or lose 'em." Some of that is unavoidable (at least without getting into annoying carry-over rules) but I thought keeping it down to a dull roar was desirable.

                              Comment


                              • ValhallaGH
                                ValhallaGH commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Fair enough.
                            Working...
                            X