Savage Polaris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savage Polaris

Greetings! A while ago there was a Kickstarter for Polaris, a rpg setting with its own system. But in the Kickstarter page, there was mention of a Savage Worlds conversion as a Strecth Goal, which was succesfully unlocked (there was even a snapshot of a page of said conversion). I've looked around everywhere, messaged the content creator, but to no avail: I can't find the book.

Does anyone know where I can find it, or at least if it ever came out?

The developer's official page seems to make no mention of a SW version for sale (even though there is plenty talk about the KS stretch-goal elsewhere on the net).

My guess is it got stuck in some sort of limbo, one way or another. Maybe try contacting the developer again?

Comment

If they are no longer publishing it, it wouldn't be the first time a Kickstarter dumped Savage Worlds after the campaign succeeded.
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• Ndreare
        Ndreare commented
        Editing a comment
        In all fairness a designer dying before a product is finished is not really something a company can plan for. But if they did plan for it they should probably go to prison rather than produce more books.

Well, well, well, what a shame. I wanted to take a look at how all the deep underwater stuff worked in SW, for a homebrew game I intend run in the future. I'm fairly certain I can take something from the original Polaris book, even though I don't know the system.

Thanks

Comment

• Deskepticon
        Deskepticon commented
        Editing a comment
        There are Quickstart guides on DriveThru for free if you don't want to pay the ridiculous prices for the full setting. Might be enough to gleen off some mechanics for your homebrew.

• Buzzerker
        Buzzerker commented
        Editing a comment
        Checking them out. Thanks

System-wise, there are very few tweaks to make a SW Polaris game. Add a few Hindrances (like Fertile...yes, that's an hindrance), races (Hybrid, Genehybrids, Technohybrids) and define how the Polaris Effect works (a modified AB Psionics with a much harsher backlash seems to right way to go)

The real issue is gear. The list of underwater armors, vehicles and weaponry is extensive and important to the feel of the setting.

EDIT: Rules for underwater elements would also important, but basically irrelevant unless you are an hybrid or in a vehicle,
      Last edited by dentris; 02-28-2018, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• Buzzerker
        Buzzerker commented
        Editing a comment
        Unfortunately, gear was what I was most interested about. Well, I guess I'll try to homebrew some

Finally got a chance to look over the Polaris Quickstart Guides. They're pretty barebones, but I threw together a rough conversion document anyway.

Comments and Criticisms always welcome.
      Last edited by Deskepticon; 03-07-2018, 03:17 AM.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
        ValhallaGH commented
        Editing a comment
        You'll want to change permissions so people can look at it.

• Deskepticon
        Deskepticon commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmph, thought direct links automatically activated permissions. Working now?

• Buzzerker
        Buzzerker commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, wow! Thanks a bunch!

Originally posted by jordi
      It's working. I have Polaris, if you want to PM some questions I'll try and answer them (but bear in mind the structure of the books are poor (and they are huge)).
      Thank you for the offer, but I have only a fleeting interest in the setting. My attempt at a conversion was less about making a playable model and more about seeing if one was actually feasible.

Maybe you could extend your offer to Buzzerker , though, who did show an interest.

Comment

Will do. Thanks for the support

Comment

I'm still interested in bouncing around ideas on generic rules for underwater combat and other hazards of the deep. Just lemme know what you're looking for.

Comment

• Buzzerker
            Buzzerker commented
            Editing a comment
            I was looking for rules on deep underwater diving, pressure, and also underwater combat, that sort of thing. It's for a short campaign I'm planning on running a year from now, on a homebrew setting (which eventually led me to discover Polaris, as they are kinda similar). Still got two more short campaigns to run before that, so I've got plenty of time to come up with something. But any help is welcome

Originally posted by Buzzerker View Post
          supportI was looking for rules on deep underwater diving, pressure, and also underwater combat, that sort of thing. It's for a short campaign I'm planning on running a year from now, on a homebrew setting (which eventually led me to discover Polaris, as they are kinda similar). Still got two more short campaigns to run before that, so I've got plenty of time to come up with something. But any help is welcome
          Apologies for the delay.

Combat should probably be the same as normal. Just use Swimming for Pace, and extend adjacent squares to directly above and below the character (same as flying, I suppose).

For pressure, I would require a Vigor check at anything below 100", with each additional 100" shortening the time between checks (every hour, every minute, every round, etc.).

Loss of oxygen would use the existing suffocation rules. Other than that, stat up some cool creatures and I think you're set. If you haven't already, check out the Subnautica videogame. Pretty cool, and good place for inspiration.

Comment

• Buzzerker
            Buzzerker commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh man, took me forever to check back too.
            I'll take a look at Subnautica. Thanks again

I realise this is a thread necro, but I've been looking for the SW version of Polaris, too, and would love if someone could give an update on it.

From my own investigations, the Polaris Kickstarter site has an update in February 2017 (see link) which said they were finalising the SW version. Then, in the comments, they said that they had sent the SW beta to their backers. That was in March 2017. So there IS at least a beta version of Savage Polaris floating around (pun intended).

HOWEVER, they have not communicated anything on their Kickstarter site (updates or comments) since July 2017, and their Facebook page hasn't had an update since August 2017... Seems like the company has completely dropped the product or are going out of business. No updates in almost exactly one year, and many KS stretch goals left unfinished.

How sad, I would have loved to see this product Savaged.
          Black Book Editions is raising funds for POLARIS RPG on Kickstarter! From the publishers of the Pathfinder RPG's French edition comes POLARIS, an exciting post-apocalyptic sci-fi RPG, now in English!

Comment

• Deskepticon
            Deskepticon commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, it seems the Savage Worlds version went bust. I have a very rough conversion document linked above if you want to take a stab at making your SW version. Feel free to shoot any questions at me if anything is unclear.

I think the main reason for no conversion is that the main writer died.

Comment

• Deskepticon
            Deskepticon commented
            Editing a comment
            Ooooph!
            Thanks for this update.

Originally posted by Aztecace View Post
          IIRC something like this happened on Talislantia (Savage Land) - illness/death with the person slated to do the Savage Worlds conversion. They gave the option to elect on of the other rulesets (like 5e) they were doing or get a refund sans the KS cut.

At this point, if its not a Savage Worlds primary thing, I just do not back it (unless I am backing it regardless for the primary thing - but i am leery of projects that promises to deliver for multiple of rulesets).
          Jeffrey...
          Left is Death!

Comment

• Augusto Antunes
            Augusto Antunes commented
            Editing a comment
            I feel the same way. More often than not, the Savage Worlds conversion is either not delivered at all or extremely subpar in quality, as if the person responsible doesn't really know the system very well and how to properly adapt to it. It came to a point that I'd strongly advise against backing any kickstarter for a multi-system setting. Wait for it to be fulfilled and then check what you're actually getting for a Savage Worlds "conversion" before giving them any money.

Originally posted by Aztecace View Post
          I'd think you talk about the writer of the conversion ?
          Because the original french writer of the game is still alive.

By the way the french conversion of Polaris for SaWo is stalled for at least 2 years.
          At my table, we play Polaris with a fan conversion (in french : http://savage.torgan.net/2018/05/savage-polaris.html )

Comment

Working...
          X