SWADE 6.0 - Protection has vestigial modifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWADE 6.0 - Protection has vestigial modifiers

Protection was changed to be similar to the one in the Fantasy Companion and Pathfinder. But the modifiers are still the same although they now do not make a lot of sense with how the power works now.

Yeah, what's up with this? It seems like Protection was supposed to be nerfed, but it was actually buffed (!), as the way it's written now, if you get a raise on your spellcasting roll, you can get +6 toughness for just 2 power points (!!).

Comment

No information yet about it. Protection has still strange modifiers with the new power description.

Comment

Yeah, I brought it up on this forum when this changelog was released. Seems they have not seen it.
        I think the More Armor Modifier is supposed to read something like:
        "Success grants 4 points of Armor. With a raise, the bonus is applied to Toughness insteadt."

Comment

Until we get an official fix, what I have been doing is to drop the Toughness modifier altogether, and let the More Armor modifier add more armor. The raise on the casting die only affects the initial +2 Armor. So, for example, you could get +2 Toughness on a raise and then add +2 armor as a modifier, for +2 of each. That seems to me to fit what I thought was the intent.

Comment

PEGClint or Donald Schepis
            Im afraid you dont see this feedback otherwise.

Comment

If it is incorrect (which I presume it is), unfortunately its in the new printing of SWADE (I was at Origins this pass weekend and checked in at the Studio 2 booth).
              Jeffrey...
              Left is Death!

Comment

Sure looks like the More Armor and Toughness Power Modifiers were meant to be dropped and leaving them in was an oversight. Wondering if there's still going to be a "Mega Modifier" in the Rifts setting.

Comment

• Mogge
                  Mogge commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My guess have been in this line:
                  <b>Greater Protection (+3)</b>: Protection provides 6 points of MDC Armor. With a raise, the bonus is applied to Toughness insteadt, this stacks with all other armor, natural or worn. May be combined with the Toughness Power Modifier, but not More Armor.

Sure would be great to get an official reaction to this.
                Is this wrong forum to post this as no official post have been made in regard to this subject?

Comment

• ValhallaGH
                  ValhallaGH commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I suspect PEG is busy with various things; both PEG, day job, and life thing. Clint only recently hit the Official Answers backlog, after a couple months of neglect. My conclusion is that threads like this are noticed but not being replied to as they are collating and juggling various details.

This topic was brought up today on Facebook, probably by someone from the forums. That is better in a way as more people seem to look at that.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
                  ValhallaGH commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's a shame they don't cross post. Some of us don't Book Faces.

• paladin2019
                  paladin2019 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ^This

Originally posted by SeeleyOne View Post
                This topic was brought up today on Facebook, probably by someone from the forums. That is better in a way as more people seem to look at that.
                You can bring it up anywhere you like, Pinnacle is just going to continue ignoring the problem.

I don't know what bothers me more: The thought that the 4th Printing's issues are simple printing errors, and that the fixed rules are are all ready to go, but they're too busy launching yet another kickstarter to bother sharing them... or the thought that they don't actually have a ruling that fixes Protection, and it's going to take a bit more beta testing for them to figure it all out.

I'd really like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but what else could it be?
                Last edited by Zeus; 06-24-2022, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeus View Post

You can bring it up anywhere you like, Pinnacle is just going to continue ignoring the problem.
                  I don't think it's fair to say they are "ignoring" the issue, since that implies intent. I think they are trying to juggle too many things at once and don't have a proper focus on prioritizing projects. Like I mentioned in another thread, it really seems like PEG needs to improve their quality control.

I also blame all the "enablers" who are more than happy to do their proofreading for them. An open-beta should be about testing the mechanics and rules-interactions, NOT finding spelling errors and lousy grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeus View Post

I don't know what bothers me more: The thought that the 4th Printing's issues are simple printing errors, and that the fixed rules are are all ready to go, but they're too busy launching yet another kickstarter to bother sharing them... or the thought that they don't actually have a ruling that fixes Protection, and it's going to take a bit more beta testing for them to figure it all out.

I'd really like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but what else could it be?
                    That is a really good question. Really good. All I can add is the thought that they be influenced by the actual print run of the book. With SWADE 6.0. At this stage they have passed to point of no return. The new version of the book has been sent to the printers and put on sale.
                    1. They could come back and update the information but then they will still have a brand new printing with errors out there. If the fixed rules and all ready to go it is now too late for people that ordered the book.
                    2. If on the other hand it's going to take a bit more beta testing for them to figure it all out. They just sent something incomplete to the printers and put it on sale. Then again they are dealing with unhappy people that ordered the book.
                    If they are heading of a PR disaster the policy just might be keep their heads and say nothing. To see how deep the hole is that they put themselves in. Have a look at https://www.pegforum.com/forum/savag...mented-changes
                    Last edited by Lonewolf; 06-29-2022, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• ArtWend
                      ArtWend commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Let's be honest with ourselves, except for a few (very few) people who play Savage Worlds and frequent Forums/Discord, most people are not even going to know or even realize the differences. Discord is a chaotic mess when it comes to keeping a thread going and being able to find it. It's just not what it's built for. This forum is damn near dead (Most users ever online was 292 at 04:10 PM on 08-28-2019). Maybe Reddit? There is absolutely no PR disaster on the horizon.

I've played Savage Worlds for years and I frequent places like this and even I wouldn't have realized what was going on if I hadn't popped into this thread just because I was bored and had read every other thread.
                      Last edited by ArtWend; 06-28-2022, 09:27 AM.
                  Working...
                  X