Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edges that Help Break Out of Entangle

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Edges that Help Break Out of Entangle

    I have a non-arcane melee character that I am concerned about getting locked down by an entangle. Any ideas about actions or edges that might help escape an entangle?

  • #2
    Breaking free from entangle is either an Athletics or Strength -2 check, so anything that improves those Traits would help. If you're specifically concerned about magical entangements, Arcane Resistance might interest you.

    As for general Edges to escape restraints, there's nothing in the core rules (oddly enough), but you are always free to design your own Edge.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post
      Breaking free from entangle is either an Athletics or Strength -2 check, so anything that improves those Traits would help. If you're specifically concerned about magical entangements, Arcane Resistance might interest you.

      As for general Edges to escape restraints, there's nothing in the core rules (oddly enough), but you are always free to design your own Edge.
      Thanks. Does the Brute edge allow the use of Strength to escape from entangles without the -2?

      Comment


      • #4
        The Edge doesn't say it negates the penalty. Rules components do what they say they do; no more, no less.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ryan Kent View Post

          Thanks. Does the Brute edge allow the use of Strength to escape from entangles without the -2?
          Nope, but you might make that a table rule since it's such a niche benefit.

          Brute does two things:
          1) it links Athletics to Strength, making the skill cheaper for really strong characters, and
          2) improves throwing Range.

          If a character with Brute isn't using thrown weaponry, they aren't getting the full use of the Edge. In that case a GM might agree that dropping the -2 from Strength-based escapes is small apples. The only oddity about that is why the Brute isn't just using their Athletics die. The entire point of the Edge is to make Athletics cheaper for strong-but-less-agile characters. So why buy the Edge if you aren't increasing Athletics proportionally?

          Follow me?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post

            Nope, but you might make that a table rule since it's such a niche benefit.

            Brute does two things:
            1) it links Athletics to Strength, making the skill cheaper for really strong characters, and
            2) improves throwing Range.

            If a character with Brute isn't using thrown weaponry, they aren't getting the full use of the Edge. In that case a GM might agree that dropping the -2 from Strength-based escapes is small apples. The only oddity about that is why the Brute isn't just using their Athletics die. The entire point of the Edge is to make Athletics cheaper for strong-but-less-agile characters. So why buy the Edge if you aren't increasing Athletics proportionally?

            Follow me?
            I expect to be entangled before I have a chance to get another advance and raise my Athletics. Looking for a quick fix.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ryan Kent View Post

              I expect to be entangled before I have a chance to get another advance and raise my Athletics. Looking for a quick fix.
              Well, an Edge isn't going to help either since that requires an Advance too (unless you already have Brute and your GM agreed to houserule it). Your best bet is teamwork. Get another character to provide Support on either your Athletics or Strength roll.

              Comment


              • #8
                An edge that helps your Athletics roll would help. In cases where you have something else to grab onto to get out of the entangle, Free Runner could be useful. But that would also depend on the type of entangle (as defined by its trapping). Acrobat would work under similar situations where mobility and maneuvering could help. But both of those cases seem to be the opposite of how Entangle is usually used. If it is something you could climb out of, Thief might help.

                Actually, the above gets me thinking. If you can use Athletics to break out, which seems dubious based on the trapping, I don't see why the above Edges would not also work. What is that rationale, other than making the Athletics skill useful, to being able to use it to break out? My guess is that it is for slipping out of things, similar to wrestling. But on that line of thought, I could see Free Runner and Acrobat helping as they are for the character moving in more efficient, better ways.

                Comment


                • Deskepticon
                  Deskepticon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How would Edges that rely on movement help when the character can't move?
                  Those Edges might help in avoiding an entanglement (a thrown net, etc.), but I don't see how they help once already Entangled/Bound.

                • SeeleyOne
                  SeeleyOne commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was wondering about that, too. But Athletics helps, explicitly, which makes the most sense if it is blocking it. Maybe the fluff is that you moved enough to reduce its effectiveness and being able to twist and maneuver out?

              • #9
                Currently, I am looking at Killer Instinct for grapple based entangles and Elan for the Entangle spell. Brute will help against grapples.

                Comment


                • Ndreare
                  Ndreare commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Killer Instinct only helps with "Tests" that you initiate so seeing it extend a little into grappling would be nice. Even on characters I build it around I never see Killer Instinct get much use.

              • #10
                New edges

                Background Edge
                Double Jointed
                Prerequisites- Agility d6, athletics d6
                Being double jointed makes it easier to escape bindings and grappling. You receive +2 to rolls to escape restraint using Athletics or Agility if specified as the trait used.

                Professional Edge
                Contortionist
                Prerequisites- Double Jointed, Agility d8, Athletics d8
                You can bend and twist in ways that look unsettling.
                Attempts to escape binding or entanglements are done at an additional +2 and you can fit through and fit in places most would not consider possible. If an opening is wide enough to fit your head through, you can get through, your dignity is left behind though.
                Last edited by SWAY; 05-20-2022, 05:13 PM.

                Comment


                • broxen
                  broxen commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This seems like the way to go. I'd probably make a restriction that Contortionist doesn't stack with Double Jointed, or you'll have +6 heroes running around. Like that episode Squeeze of X-Files haha

                • SWAY
                  SWAY commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you. Corrected oversight. Double Jointed now listed as Prerequisite and wording changed to make it stack together properly.
              Working...
              X