MUCH EXCITE = Fantasy Companion!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ndreare View Post
    I just hope it sells well, so they can stay encouraged and keep pumping out books. I know the scope of Fantasy Companion will be much broader, but I think there may be some reduction in its appeal to some people because of how good Pathfinder was. People feeling satisfied with Pathfinder may not consider the value of Fantasy Companion.
    Funny. See, I'm exactly the opposite of that description. I'm not really interested in a big hunka PFSW books, other than maybe the Bestiary. But the FC for me was a no brainer. And might make me MORE likely to pick up the PFSW Bestiary later on. I guess I just feel like if I'm going to play a flavor of D&D, my lovely copy of Old School Essentials is sitting there, waiting to be used. But for anything else, SW is a definite option.

Comment

I was excited about, and backed the Pathfinder for Savage Worlds book at the time, but now the Fantasy Companion is here, I reckon PF4SW has just become kinda' redundant. I know the physical book is shipping next month, but at this point, I honestly don't care about it anymore, cos I know (in my heart!) the FC will be better. Poor PF4SW will just sit on a shelf, collecting dust, alongside Savage Tokusatsu, and all the other RPG books I backed on a whim, then immediately lost interest in.
      Last edited by mikeawmids; 04-26-2022, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeawmids View Post
        I was excited about, and backed the Pathfinder for Savage Worlds book at the time, but now the Fantasy Companion is here, I reckon PF4SW has just become kinda' redundant. I know the physical book is shipping next month, but at this point, I honestly don't care about it anymore, cos I know (in my heart!) the FC will be better. Poor PF4SW will just sit on a shelf, collecting dust, alongside Savage Tokusatsu, and all the other RPG books I backed on a whim, then immediately lost interest in.
        I'm kind of with you on PF for SW. At least some of the stuff is lootable. I'll be using it to cobble together my own homebrew fantasy setting. Taking bits from the Companion, PF for SW, and Hellfrost.

What a time to be alive!

Comment

Wasn't this supposed to come out in alpha a few days after the campaign was finished? Why is the alpha now suddenly a month away? Is this to do with the Stretch Goals?

Comment

• ScowlingDragon
            ScowlingDragon commented
            Editing a comment
            Donald Schepis Im not offended, I just wanted to be clear.

• Robert4818
            Robert4818 commented
            Editing a comment
            @Donald Schepis
            That is not my complaint at all. My complaint is in how the company mis sets its expectations. Given how frequently books are expanded due to stretch goals in these campaigns, the delivery date should have baked that in. You could have set the expectations at 1 month from the get go and avoided this, knowing if it sneaked by without stretch goals you could surprise and delight customers with an early release. In essence you gave travel time based on clear roads when you should realize your leaving near rush hour.
            Last edited by Robert4818; 05-01-2022, 12:41 PM.

• Donald Schepis
            Donald Schepis commented
            Editing a comment
            Again, the issue isn't the stretch goals. It's the reality of production. That means things that have nothing to do with the Fantasy Companion at all can cause delays in the work to put out the PDF.

I thought it just ended a few days ago. Maybe I am wrong as time goes by quickly for me.

Comment

• SeeleyOne
            SeeleyOne commented
            Editing a comment
            I was right, it ended on the 26th, which is now 4 days ago. Surely not long enough to complain about.

Originally posted by Andrew B View Post

I'm kind of with you on PF for SW. At least some of the stuff is lootable. I'll be using it to cobble together my own homebrew fantasy setting. Taking bits from the Companion, PF for SW, and Hellfrost.

What a time to be alive!
          Its not redundant. It has its purpose, which is to be a conversion of pathfinder, not a general fantasy toolkit.

Comment

• Andrew B
            Andrew B commented
            Editing a comment
            Of course it isn't a general toolkit...that's why I backed the Fantasy Companion. 

Can you show me where exactly it says that I can't use "some" things from it? (Yes, that is the word I used...). If it turns out something more useful is in the FC, then I'll use that. 

You run your game how you want...I'll do the same.

• Robert4818
            Robert4818 commented
            Editing a comment
            Which is why it's not redundant. I never claimed you couldn't use anything out of it, or that you said that. You agreed that it was redundant, and I disagreed with that statement. Your level of hostility isn't necessary.

• EricaOdd
            EricaOdd commented
            Editing a comment
            Please try to keep it civil. This argument is going in circles and getting more heated.

Any word on when the backer PDF will be released? Last email/update 7 was dated 10/05/22 and stated it should be ready in "another week or so". Eager to get my hands on this book.

Comment

The original mail from 27 April said
            expect to see an alpha-PDF of the Fantasy Companion to be available in your Downloads in about a month
            so I'd go with the estimate that gives them more time.

Comment

Yes Yes! but regardless we are getting close! MUCH EXCITE!!!

Comment

ETA or anything?

Comment

Thank you for new Fantasy Guide!

Comment

Woo!

On a quick skim, I think this will be much more to my tastes than Savage Pathfinder was. I appreciate the note about customizing the Arcane Backgrounds (especially with regards to the Armor Interference). It still makes me grumpy, but the fact it’s also listed separately as hindrances makes it dead easy to customize and balance if I so desire.

Note, it’s not the armor interfering with magic that irks me. It’s that it also interferes with all Agility skills. It stretches credulity if someone learns Arcana later on, and suddenly becomes inept in skills they had previously mastered. If it just affected spell rolls, I’d probably be fine to leave as is.

But that’s a personal bugbear of mine. Overall, it looks like it will really hit the spot.

Comment

I'm very impressed with the book--can't wait to run a game with it! It makes a great companion piece to Pathfinder for Savage Worlds, too.

And the Observer, as pictured on page 74 and described on page 225, is MUCH cooler than whatever creature from some other fantasy game it may or may not be based on.

Comment

Working...
                      X