What’s new from Flash Gordon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s new from Flash Gordon?

So Flash Gordon has been released for backers, but I’ve heard that a lot of changes will make their way into the new edition of Savage Worlds (Savage Worlds Black). What kind of changes are you backers seeing? I know Tests of Wills have been altered, but what else are we looking at?

Summaries of changes and new new systems would be amazing but remember not to post new rules word-for-word!

For example, looking through the errata thread, it looks like there's a new "Stunned" state, likely similar to Shaken? There's also a whole new "Character States" heading. Is it possible that we'll end up seeing powers like Confusion or Stun inflict a status similar to the old Shaken, rather than the new?
    Last edited by DoctorBoson; 01-07-2018, 06:30 PM.
    Join the Unofficial Savage Worlds Discord! Check out Expanded Wealth!

My thoughts, musings, and general character adaptations on Savage Everything.

The following are listed as "Updated Core Rules" but are noted as changes specifically for The Savage World of Flash Gordon.
    Athletics (Agility) skill replaces Climbing, Swimming, and Throwing.
    Knowledge (Smarts) has defined categories: Academia, Battle, Medicine, Occult, and Science. Players can create new specializations but the onus is on the player to make it relevant.
    Performance (Spirit) is a new skill for all artistic performance, usually benefits from Charisma.
    Thievery (Agility) replaces Lockpicking, adds a few previously nebulous thieving tasks.
    Clarification and consistency of the difference between Action, Turn, and Round.
    New conditions Distracted (-2 Traits), Vulnerable (+2 to affect), Entangled (can't move, Distracted), Bound (can't move, Distracted, Vulnerable, other).
    Added Extreme Range from the SFC / SPC.
    Revised Grappling rules that use the new Entangled and Bound conditions.
    Grappling now Athletics based instead of Fighting based. Unless you have Martial Artist.
    Tests of Will can be done with Smarts or Spirit, but the relevant Edges only benefit Taunt and Intimidation. So anyone can do it, but only the skilled can do it well. Makes target Distracted, plus table result (new table).
    Tricks use Agility or Strength (or relevant skills). Makes target Vulnerable, plus table result (new table).
    The new table (2dd6 roll) ranges from self-healing to another free turn. Yeah, you can insult someone so hard that you get another Turn.

They've simplified writing out the Stun Charge mechanics from SFC close combat weapons, by creating the Stunned weapon note and noting what it applies to. Pretty similar, improved language.

Everything else seems to be setting specific.

I can see why Shane was excited about the changes to Tricks and Tests of Will.

Edit: Found some new stuff in the Bestiary that's probably going into the new core.
    Athletics - critters with animal Smarts use the most relevant Attribute instead of the Athletics skill.
    Cone Attacks - a generic, monster version of the flamethrower rules. Notably, cannot be combined with Fighting attacks unless specifically mentioned.
    Bite - can use Bite damage on foes they've Entangled or Bound. Being wrestled by bears and tigers does not save you from their fangs.
    Claws - +2 to Agility when climbing (see Athletics above).
    Tentacles - lots here, including multiple actions at no penalty, grappling with tentacles, called shots, amputation, and a bit more.

Overall, I like the bestiary additions.
    Last edited by ValhallaGH; 01-13-2018, 01:42 PM.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• Matchstickman
      Matchstickman commented
      Editing a comment
      "Clarification and consistency of the difference between Action, Turn, and Round."
      Whoop!

That's crazy stuff. I'm guessing most of the Skill changes are setting specific (I've never liked the combined Climbing/Swimming/Throwing skills for , but the clarification on Action/Turn/Round distinctions is fantastic. I'm very happy with the new Conditions as well, since they add a little bit of extra knobs that can be tweaked for other spells and abilities. Extreme Range is a good core addition; it's something I've been using since it debuted in the SPC.

The Tricks and Tests of Will sound fantastic, though I'm not sure how to feel about the table if that's a core Savage Worlds change. It sounds amazing for a Flash Gordon-style pulp setting, though, so I have a feeling that core Tests/Tricks are gonna have a more muted secondary effect. I like making Tricks/Tests be something anyone can do now, while leaving Intimidation and Taunt as their own thing (since those provide expanded social utility as well). Allowing relevant-Skill tricks is also fantastic; I know a lot of people who house rule that characters can do Agility tricks using their Throwing skill, so it's good to see that the rule gets some attention.

Out of curiosity, has Block or Suppressive Fire been changed at all? SF has always been very weak, and I've never seen someone take Block in lieu of just a higher Fighting (unless they're already at a d12); some people house rule that Block makes Defend/Full Defense add +3 to Parry in addition to the base +1 Parry, which makes it a bit more attractive as an option, but it'd be interesting to see if PEG themselves make a change to make it a more popular choice.

Comment

I also never liked the Athletics skill combo idea. I get why a lot of people like it and I can see some value on it depending on the setting, but it seems to me that it kinda turns a very varied set of different skills into a sort of secondary Agility attribute and there are a lot of settings and genres out there that would benefit from keeping them separate. I really hope that's just for this setting (it fits here and it has been done before, after all) and not for the core rules.

When it comes to those other tweaks and additions, they do sound very interesting and I really like what I'm hearing.
      Last edited by Augusto Antunes; 01-07-2018, 08:29 PM.
      "Did I fire six shots, or only five? Three? Seven. Whatever." - Unkempt Harold

Comment

• DoctorBoson
        DoctorBoson commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed on all counts, I've never liked the "you're athletic so you can do all the physical things" concept of an Athletics skill. I feel like it's perfect for a Flash Gordon super-pulp setting, though.

• Grauenwolf
        Grauenwolf commented
        Editing a comment
        For Flash Gordon, having one athletic skill makes a lot of sense to me. But yea, in general I'd like to keep them separate.

• Ilina_Young
        Ilina_Young commented
        Editing a comment
        there is actually a lot of bleedover in physical tasks because many athletes perform and amalgamation of most of them, this generally simplifies things about as much as having Knowledge (Science) or Knowledge (Academics) does in a modern setting. plus, a person who does heavy physical activity is expected to do most of the important physical tasks. and it is really an excuse to merge 3 skills that were rarely rolled outside of certain campaign sessions or certain concepts because all the skills have to be important. i wonder when investigation will be dropped.

Originally posted by DoctorBoson View Post
      The Tricks and Tests of Will sound fantastic, though I'm not sure how to feel about the table if that's a core Savage Worlds change. It sounds amazing for a Flash Gordon-style pulp setting, though, so I have a feeling that core Tests/Tricks are gonna have a more muted secondary effect.
      Yeah, the impression I get is that the core rules will still be Shaken on a Raise, but they've unified the Success effects and made both options more accessible and flexible. Though I will say that the table is really cool, with the most common result (5-9) being Shaken. You can use any related skill for Tricks and Tests but they're all resisted by an Attribute; expect to see a lot of Fighting Tricks from your combat monsters.
      I suspect it will get some more changes from feedback from Warlords of Mongo, but the final results seem to be headed in this direction.

They took the Extra Effort setting rule from Rifts for Savage Worlds and made it less broken, rarer, and stackable with bennies. This is the Conviction setting rule. I'm really digging it.

I like making Tricks/Tests be something anyone can do now, while leaving Intimidation and Taunt as their own thing (since those provide expanded social utility as well). Allowing relevant-Skill tricks is also fantastic; I know a lot of people who house rule that characters can do Agility tricks using their Throwing skill, so it's good to see that the rule gets some attention.

Originally posted by DoctorBoson
      Out of curiosity, has Block or Suppressive Fire been changed at all? SF has always been very weak, and I've never seen someone take Block in lieu of just a higher Fighting (unless they're already at a d12); some people house rule that Block makes Defend/Full Defense add +3 to Parry in addition to the base +1 Parry, which makes it a bit more attractive as an option, but it'd be interesting to see if PEG themselves make a change to make it a more popular choice.
      Nope. Suppressive fire isn't even mentioned in the book.

I have found that applying circumstance modifiers to Suppressive Fire makes it quite effective (-2 for RoF 4+, -2 for two Raises on the Shooting roll, etc.), and falls withing the blanket "modifiers as the GM deems appropriate" rule. I've also tried it as an Opposed roll, with some success, as a House Rule.

I have seen players take Block instead of a Fighting increase, for a number of reasons, and it seems to work just fine.
      Given that Parry modifiers are supposed to apply to your Full Defense total (making Wild Attack largely null), granting the Block bonus makes a ton of sense as an interpretation of the existing rules. Hmm... something to ask official clarification on.
      Edit: Got an answer, and Block does modify Full Defense.
      Last edited by ValhallaGH; 01-09-2018, 03:13 PM.
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
        They took the Extra Effort setting rule from Rifts for Savage Worlds and made it less broken, rarer, and stackable with bennies. This is the Conviction setting rule. I'm really digging it.
        Oh my god, that sounds amazing. I've loved the idea of Extra Effort from Rifts but it just made it feel like it would be too easy to do things and is strictly better than spending a benny on something, but if they've toned it down then Conviction sounds incredible.

Nope. Suppressive fire isn't even mentioned in the book.

I have found that applying circumstance modifiers to Suppressive Fire makes it quite effective (-2 for RoF 4+, -2 for two Raises on the Shooting roll, etc.), and falls withing the blanket "modifiers as the GM deems appropriate" rule. I've also tried it as an Opposed roll, with some success, as a House Rule.
        That's fair. I personally make Suppressive Fire easier to pull off (and slightly more lethal), to great effect in the WWII game I've been playing in so far. I've gone into it more in-depth in other threads but basically I impose more penalties on the Spirit roll when avoiding SF, and a total of 1 or less means the character has been hit, in addition to just rolling a 1 on the Spirit die. It's gritty and burns through ammo like crazy but it's inaccurate enough (and you can't deal that sweet, sweet raise damage) that players still opt to fire on normal autofire pretty often.

I have seen players take Block instead of a Fighting increase, for a number of reasons, and it seems to work just fine.
        Given that Parry modifiers are supposed to apply to your Full Defense total (making Wild Attack largely null), granting the Block bonus makes a ton of sense as an interpretation of the existing rules. Hmm... something to ask official clarification on.
        Oh, I meant that in addition to the +1 Parry you get (raising base Parry to a 7 for example), it grants an extra +1 for Defend (7 + 3 = 10 Parry) or Full Defense (roll Fighting +3 instead of +2). It really emphasizes that this character is more geared for being a blocking/parrying monster, rather than gearing towards offense by increasing Fighting. Improved Block does the same but adds +2 to Defend (minimum of 12 Parry) and Full Defense (Fighting roll +4). It makes Block more situationally comparable to increasing a character's Fighting rather than being strictly worse.

Comment

ValhallaGH I get the impression that the revised magic, psionics (except maybe for the specializations), and weird science backgrounds are likely going to be in the updated core rules as well.

For anyone who's curious:
          -Malfunction is much milder. The device just stops working and needs to be repaired at -2 as an action.
          -New rules for making devices: the scientist chooses to distribute their power points between devices and can redistribute them by taking an hour to tinker with them. When power points are regained, the scientist chooses which devices gets the power points. Can now make multiples of a device without taking the power again.
          -New rules for trappings as well, which work more like the power tricks from the SPC. Stuff like fire damage is now mostly cosmetic (except that they might interact with resistances and vulnerabilities). Instead we have Power Modifiers (Armor Piercing, Glow, Heavy Weapon, Hinder, Lingering Damage, Selective), which can be applied on the fly by paying more power points.
          -Base durations for powers are 5 rounds instead of 3; only costs 1 PP to extend duration again by 5.

I'm personally happy with all of the changes so far; the only thing I'm on the fence about is the possibility of self-healing on raises with tricks (I'm cool with the rest of the table) and I have mixed feelings about the new "on the fly" Power Modifiers replacing the old trappings.
          Last edited by Shoggoth; 01-07-2018, 10:41 PM.

Comment

• Grauenwolf
            Grauenwolf commented
            Editing a comment
            > Base durations for powers are 5 rounds instead of 3;

Yes please. I've been thinking lately that the durations were far too short, especially for defensive powers like Armor.

Originally posted by Shoggoth View Post
          I get the impression that the revised magic, psionics (except maybe for the specializations), and weird science backgrounds are likely going to be in the updated core rules as well.

For anyone who's curious:
          -Malfunction is much milder. The device just stops working and needs to be repaired at -2 as an action.
          -New rules for making devices: the scientist chooses to distribute their power points between devices and can redistribute them by taking an hour to tinker with them. When power points are regained, the scientist chooses which devices gets the power points. Can now make multiples of a device without taking the power again.
          -New rules for trappings as well, which work more like the power tricks from the SPC.
          -Base durations for powers are 5 rounds instead of 3; only costs 1 PP to extend duration again by 5.

I'm personally happy with all of the changes so far; the only thing I'm on the fence about is the possibility of self-healing on raises with tricks (I'm cool with the rest of the table).
          I was wondering if magic has had any revised effects, these sound fantastic. The increased duration of powers in particular sounds incredibly juicy, since a big criticism of a lot of people was how burst-y casters tended to be (a 10PP caster could upkeep Boost Trait for just over a minute; with the new rules, he can upkeep it for 4 and a half).

For the Trappings rules, do those supersede the normal rules for Trappings? I've always been quite fond of the mix-n-match trappings system in SWD (for example, gaining a fire aura on a raise for beneficial fire powers). If not, how does it kind of interact now?

Comment

DoctorBoson I edited my previous post to explain the new Power Modifiers which replace the old trappings.

Comment

I'm in favor of the combined Athletics skill. I think that the separate skills, especially Climbing and Swimming are so narrow that they get little use unless they setting specifically calls for it.

I feel like most skills in Savage Worlds are already much broader than their real world equivalent. Repair covers everything from fixing a wagon wheel to computer mother board.

Comment

Originally posted by MatthewJHanson View Post
                I'm in favor of the combined Athletics skill. I think that the separate skills, especially Climbing and Swimming are so narrow that they get little use unless they setting specifically calls for it.

I feel like most skills in Savage Worlds are already much broader than their real world equivalent. Repair covers everything from fixing a wagon wheel to computer mother board.
                I'll admit that the more I think about it the less it bothers me - and I can understand where the idea comes from and the reasoning behind it - but I still think that "those skills get very little use unless the setting specifically calls for it" is a very poor reason to change it. To me, that speaks more about the type of game a specific GM wants to run and the specific types of character concepts a certain group wants to play rather than an inherent issue with the skill list itself. Every setting has a few skills that won't get as much use as others, but the core system book is supposed to provide rules to fit a wide variety of different settings, genres and character concepts. Nobody takes any of the vehicle skills (Driving, Piloting, Boating, Riding) unless their character specializes in them or the setting calls for it, but almost nobody seems to have a problem with keeping them all in the core skill list. Gambling is also very setting specific and they've apparently kept it. They also seem to have added Perform to the list, which is another skill with narrower range of use. By the way, how do you feel about Throwing being put into Athletics along with Climbing and Swimming? I doubt many people had the "it gets very little use" issue with Throwing. I certainly don't remember seeing it mentioned as a problem as much as Climbing and Swimming.

I also feel that grouping them all up into Athletics doesn't really solve the issue of nobody ever taking them. If people didn't take Climbing and Swimming separately, why would they take Athletics? Specially if they have an Agility attribute they can roll for in those situations instead? I understand that skills in Savage Worlds are supposed to be broader and have many different uses in different situations, but the thing to me is that Athletics is so broad that at first glance it seems too much like natural ability rather than learned skills. Yes, now you can get both of them and advance them for less character points, which might lead to more people taking it, but was it really that much of a problem before? Specially if situations where you'd use them wouldn't show up frequently in the game at all? Maybe that's why they decided to put Throwing in there too. People will take Athletics mostly for Throwing, but now they'll get Climbing and Swimming as a bonus.

Like I said above, the idea is definitely growing on me. I can certainly see the value in it, I'm willing to give it a shot and I'm even slowly starting to like it, but there's still a lot of little things about it that make me question the decision to include it in the core book and keep me from embracing it completely. Let's call that feeling "adjustment pains", XD. If anything, I can see the skill familiarization rules getting a lot more use out of this change and maybe that's a good thing - "So, you fell into the lake. You have Athletics, but your character lived his entire life in a desert planet with no body of water he could be fully immersed in anywhere near him, which means he never really learned how to swim. Yeah, if you wanna try swimming, you can make the roll at a -2, please". Maybe that should be enough to cover most of the issues I've been having with the idea of Athletics as a skill.
                Last edited by Augusto Antunes; 01-08-2018, 01:14 AM.
                "Did I fire six shots, or only five? Three? Seven. Whatever." - Unkempt Harold

Comment

• SteelDraco
                  SteelDraco commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Skills are easier to increase than attributes. I don't oppose the idea of removing Climbing and Swimming and just using Strength or Agility, but if you start down that road, it's easy to just nix most of the skills. Generally, though, I found that Climbing and Swimming were too narrow to be worth investing skill points in for my players in the vast majority of settings, and so if they found they DID want to do it, I could either say "Well, you don't know how to do that, so your cool idea doesn't work because you failed at your unskilled check" or ignore the fact that the skill even existed and let them roll Agility or Strength, which rather screws over the people who did invest in that skill, and also encourages those PCs to not bother taking skills if they think they can cajole me into letting them use an attribute roll instead. And after that happened several times, I started to consider it more of a failing of the skill system than a failure on my player's part to anticipate needing the Climbing or Swimming skill. Rolling both into Athletics meant that didn't happen as much.

It also seems like in SW that the skills are meant to be more active, and the attributes are generally used in a resistive manner, almost like saving throws in D&D. That's admittedly a loose interpretation, but it does seem like how the system usually pans out in play to me.

• Augusto Antunes
                  Augusto Antunes commented
                  Editing a comment
                  SteelDraco - All good points I can definitely agree to, but also things that I relate to the the fact that some skills will be more valuable in certain settings than others. Just in case, I also wanna make clear that I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you, just riffing off of what you said and going on my own little rant and thought process. Usually when I write things on forums I'm talking to myself just as much as I'm talking to other people. ;-)

DoctorBoson - Those are also some very good points that I can also agree to.

• MatthewJHanson
                  MatthewJHanson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm don't feel as strongly about combining Throwing. I think it's probably fine on its own (though I find thrown weapons are usually not as good as either Fighting or Shooting weapons). I think a nice thing about Athletics is that it can cover options in addition to just Climbing and Swimming, for instance, using it for chases on foot.

I'd also get rid of Gambling as a core skill. I think it only came in because of Deadlands, where I'm fine with it as a setting skills, but I don't think it makes sense as a core skill.

Originally posted by Shoggoth View Post
                ValhallaGH I get the impression that the revised magic, psionics (except maybe for the specializations), and weird science backgrounds are likely going to be in the updated core rules as well.
                Really? What gives you that impression?
                The changes in Magic, Psionics, and Weird Science specifically all feel like setting tweaks. Magic only backlashes on a critical failure, but also does fatigue. Psionics exclicitly doesn't require hands and can be done while Restrained or Bound. Weird Science gizmos can't explode. All of those read like setting-specific changes, not general changes.

Now, the Revised Power System stuff looks pretty generalized.
                Failed castings only use half the Power Points instead of all of them, except crit fail.
                Duration 3 rounds becoming 5 rounds. Maintenance is 1 Power Point for [base duration] additional time.
                Multi-action power activation.
                Trappings are still fixed, but mostly cosmetic.
                Power Modifiers are variations on the casting that make it more powerful but cost more Power Points. They can be chosen when casting, making them powerful and optional. Options include: AP, Heavy Weapon, illuminate target, Pace penalty, ongoing damage, increased range, and "exclude that guy".
                Devices / gizmos are broken out as a separate mechanic to make powers shareable - assigned to specific AB as part of the setting. For Flash Gordon that's only Weird Science. This has some huge changes for Weird Science.

The new powers section is probably all new stuff for the core. I'm not a fan of arcane protection or object reading, for various reasons, but I do like the revised powers, and I'm okay with the other new powers.

Comment

Anyone else wish Athletics was a Strength skill? Strength is already the least useful attribute in modern and sci-fi games since melee combat isn't as common. It would be nice to throw strength a bone and at least have Athletics as a strength skill.

Comment

• DoctorBoson
                    DoctorBoson commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Personally, I think it's okay for not everything to be important to every kind of setting. Soldiers during the classical and medieval needed to be stronger to survive, but a modern soldiers' Strength mostly just means they're less tired after carrying all their gear for 5 miles—their warrior status comes from their ability to handle guns and avoid getting shot instead. Riding was almost essential for an elite warrior to have until just 100 years ago, when we got a hold of massed-produced cars and armored tanks; now it's just a cool hobby for anyone that isn't a rodeo jockey.

That's just a byproduct of the march of technology, and seeing that manifest through the design across different time periods is fascinating and actually a success of the system in my opinion.

• Deskepticon
                    Deskepticon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'd rather see Athletics tied to Vigor.
                    As someone who climbs rocks for fun, I can say that strength isn't really an issue... getting tired is. When your muscles start to cramp, you need to be able to bite through and persevere. That sounds more like Vigor than Stength.

Same with swimming. Strength might be useful for battling rapids, and Agility might be better if you want to swim fast, but the entire point of the skill is not drowning... and being able to keep your head above water is the key to that.

• zgreg
                    zgreg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well, when you read the Attribute descriptions the Strength seems to fit Athletics best as it covers "general fitness". Though they might differ in Flash or new edition.

If those indicate the changes in the new edition it will be interesting

The following are listed as "Updated Core Rules" but are noted as changes specifically for The Savage World of Flash Gordon.
                  I have ambivalent feelings about this one, hasn't decided yet if I like it or not. Those skills could be handled the same way as Guts, marked as relevant for selected settings only.

Knowledge (Smarts) has defined categories: Academia, Battle, Medicine, Occult, and Science. Players can create new specializations but the onus is on the player to make it relevant.
                  Seems like a good thing. I hope that the rulebook elaborates on those skills a bit. I also like this rule from Space 1889, seems it could make Knowledge Skills less situational and more practical.

Performance (Spirit) is a new skill for all artistic performance, usually benefits from Charisma.
                  I see it as Guts, only fit for selected settings. Could be a base skill for Bard AB, for example.

Thievery (Agility) replaces Lockpicking, adds a few previously nebulous thieving tasks.
                  I like it, such an upgrade seems a good idea.

Clarification and consistency of the difference between Action, Turn, and Round.
                  I'm not sure what is it about but clarification can't be bad

New conditions Distracted (-2 Traits), Vulnerable (+2 to affect), Entangled (can't move, Distracted), Bound (can't move, Distracted, Vulnerable, other).
                  This makes me a little worried as it reminds me of D&D with its huge list of conditions. This list certainly doesn't go overboard and if it helps to clarify the rules (unify the terminology/effects) I'm for.

Nice.

Seems a natural consequence. I expect that those new conditions will appear in a lot of places (like Powers or other Manoeuvres).

Grappling now Athletics based instead of Fighting based. Unless you have Martial Artist.
                  Makes sense.

Tests of Will can be done with Smarts or Spirit, but the relevant Edges only benefit Taunt and Intimidation. So anyone can do it, but only the skilled can do it well. Makes target Distracted, plus table result (new table).
                  Tricks use Agility or Strength (or relevant skills). Makes target Vulnerable, plus table result (new table).
                  The new table (2dd6 roll) ranges from self-healing to another free turn. Yeah, you can insult someone so hard that you get another Turn.
                  This change I'm most excited about as I don't find Tricks and ToW really useful, except for some specific situations (it usually seems more beneficial to hit the bad guys). That's probably the problem with me, not the game but still I hope that the changes will make them more tempting to use.

Comment

I'm a bit surprised at Throwing being in there, but yeah, Climbing and Swimming are pretty much necessary. Don't suppose they made Running a matter of your Athletics skill, too?

Not sure if that's really different than it was before. "Acadamia" being ultra-broad for History, Politics, etc is probably the big difference.

Strikes me as useful for some settings, not so much for others. I think I'd rather have a "Performer" Professional Edge that lets you roll Persuasion to determine performance quality.

Thievery (Agility) replaces Lockpicking, adds a few previously nebulous thieving tasks

Solid.

Hallelujah! I'm usually fine on this front, but it's one of those things I think new players get really hung up on.

Seems a streamlining of different spell/maneuver effects, so pretty straightforward.

I can see a setting rule that pulls Extreme out of action for pre-firearms technology, but otherwise, long overdue.

Grappling is one of two or three rulesets that are almost impossible for most RPGs to pin down and make both fun AND vaguely realistic. (Poison and Non-Lethal Damage are the other two.) Look forward to seeing the changes in action.

Hm... That still feels like it might seriously devalue the skills, unless there's a lot more Edges where those come into play.

Tricks use Agility or Strength (or relevant skills). Makes target Vulnerable, plus table result (new table)

No Smarts Tricks? Bah--that was the easiest way to handle "I lie to the guard's face."

Weird. I'l have to see this in action.
                    They've simplified writing out the Stun Charge mechanics from SFC close combat weapons, by creating the Stunned weapon note and noting what it applies to. Pretty similar, improved language.
                    Improved language is always a plus.

Comment

Working...
                    X