SPC3 - Streamlining Knockback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPC3 - Streamlining Knockback

Knockback is an important trope in the Supers genre and I'm happy to see rules and guidelines for it in SPC3. However, something occurred to me while reading it that might be a way to reduce the amount of die rolling.
    What if the damage threshold of the target is simply subtracted from the damage rolled, and the result is the number of inches the target is knocked back? There could even be a cap on the amount (like 12", the maximum on a normal 2d6).
    So in the T-Rex example provided in the book, the T-Rex needs to take at least 30 damage. Firebird hits the T-Rex for 42 damage (12 higher than 30). In the original example, T-bird then rolls 2d6 and gets a 9, knocking the dinosaur back 9". In this proposed system, the T-Rex gets knocked back 12", slightly more.
    If it seems like this produces too much knockback, the amount could even be halved after subtraction (12" / 2 or 6" in the above example).

Any thoughts on this?

Welcome to the forums!

What if the damage threshold of the target is simply subtracted from the damage rolled, and the result is the number of inches the target is knocked back? There could even be a cap on the amount (like 12", the maximum on a normal 2d6).
    Then the damage roll determines knockback. If Red only rolls 30 damage against T-Rex then T-Rex would suffer Knocback ... of 0"; that's much less interesting than the 1d6" (and potential 2d6+ of collision damage) of the current rules.

It is faster but I suspect that speed would come at the price of Fun. When prioritizing game design, Fun should always win.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Yes, I concede that's a fair (and ... Fun) point!

Comment

Working...
      X