SPC3: QoL would be a short paragraph in regards of saving civilians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPC3: QoL would be a short paragraph in regards of saving civilians

In many superhero stories its important to save civilians, a short paragraph would be nice how to do that fast. I probably would use dramatic task rules, number of tokens adjusted to the number of civilians present, as long as the dramatic task is not resolved the villain can target civilians to force the hero to interrupt and save.

Edit: between power stunts and dramatic tasks additional rules are uneeded thanks to everyone for the feedback. Looking forward to playing with the spc
    ChoTimberwolf
    Registered Member
    Last edited by ChoTimberwolf; 11-11-2021, 08:12 PM.

Saving civilians, disarming bombs, hacking super computers, and a dozen other threats could be addressed in the rules. But there are only 192 pages in the book - which actual rules do you want to delete to insert a suggestion about using the core rules to solve these issues? Or maybe you want to delete some of the artwork? Or the villain stats?
    What gets cut to add onto the existing paragraphs about collateral damage and consequences?
    Originally posted by Mega Destruction, page 36-37
    Anytime a super-powered being is Knocked Back into a building, at least part of it collapses. If a brutish villain hurls a chunk of concrete at a hero and misses, it plows through buses, cars, and entire traffic jams with terrible results.
    In a lighter game, innocents are seen limping away in clouds of rubble. In darker games, civilian casualties are innumerable.
    Mega Destruction has massive campaign consequences for heroes if they don't try to maneuver their foes away from populated areas. Terrible tragedies often trigger government intervention or gain the attention of powerful extraplanar or divine beings or agencies.
    Villains may take advantage of this, knowing heroes must be extremely careful with their powers if battling in the middle of crowded city streets.
    There are more scattered about. See the Ultra-Violent setting tone for another example.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Honestly would prefer less villains but a complete ruleset. I will use most rules I wont use most villains.
      But yeah I am fine using dramatic task and my own rules to rule how many civilians are brought to safety for each token.

Comment

I'd be fine with ditching more of the generic, boring villains for more tools in the tool kit, to be quite honest.
        When the cat's a Stray, the mice will pray...

Comment

• ValhallaGH
          ValhallaGH
          Registered Member
          ValhallaGH commented
          Editing a comment
          We already have the tools. I'd rather the boring rogues be rewritten to be interesting - or at least have some interesting hooks.

• The Stray
          The Stray
          Registered Member
          The Stray commented
          Editing a comment
          We got what they apparently think is a good rewrite on the rogues as well as plot hooks. They apparently think creating links to make the boring rogues into even more boring criminal gangs and then giving each of them boring hooks somehow combine into interesting characters, while stripping out some bits that actually WERE interesting. If this is their idea of "interesting," I'd rather see them cut than revised. As it is, they take up *80 pages* of their 192-page limit.

Hey Stray, I get that you don't like the villains. You've said it plenty now. Sorry...can't please everyone. But your tone isn't constructive, helpful, or persuasive. Please rethink your approach on our forums so that we can all make the best products possible for *all* of our games. Doesn't mean you'll always agree, but no need to antagonize everyone.

All the best,

Shane

Comment

Originally posted by PEGShane View Post
          Hey Stray, I get that you don't like the villains. You've said it plenty now. Sorry...can't please everyone. But your tone isn't constructive, helpful, or persuasive.

Please rethink your approach on our forums so that we can all make the best products possible for *all* of our games. Doesn't mean you'll always agree, but no need to antagonize everyone.

All the best,

Shane
          Very well. I shall restate.

I have many issues with the villains, many of whom did not change in what I feel is a meaningful fashion -- and several that were changed, I feel were changed for the poorer. As the descriptions of these villains receives heavy emphasis, taking up a substantial page count, I feel this is a very serious issue with the product as it currently exists. I am also concerned and frustrated by the lack of a more proper avenue to address you, the head writer on this project, as the forum you opened for feedback on the SPC was strictly limited to typographical errors. I will strive to keep my frustration from souring my tone in the future.

But seeing as you thought it necessary to address the tone from my venting comment from a week ago, then please allow me, since I apparently have your attention at the moment, to attempt to offer some criticism in a more constructive manner.

The campaign for this product included reference to improved and expanded back stories for the NPCs from the previous work as a selling point. You say that you feel you cannot please everyone; fair enough, but I am a GM. This is a part of the product that was advertised directly to me and my potential needs at the gaming table. I do not feel that I can use many, if any, of the characters in my games without substantial creative work. If I'm expected to do that much back-end work, I would have appreciated more generic, archetypal supervillains, the sort of stats that you provide for archetypal characters in other Pinnacle products. Pinnacle products are usually very good about this sort of thing -- your archetype cards, for instance, are good at providing archetypal PCs with slight hints of personality in Edge and Hindrance choices without being fully-realized characters, and can be easily altered. I expect the Archetype cards in the works for the SPC will work similarly.

I do not feel the same ease of use from the NPCs in the SPC. Now, I want to stress that I do not dislike all the rogues in the gallery, but there are a substantial number I very much do dislike. This includes characters who were altered from their previous versions. I can go into greater detail about my specific complaints, but this particular post is not the place to do that, and I don't think "how I would write it" is useful feedback for you. I can boil down many of my complaints to a few points:
          • I feel more emphasis should be placed on goals and motivations, rather than origins. Knowing what the villain wants and why they want it is more useful to me than origins I'm likely to alter substantially to fit them into my setting. As an example, a character I feel has lost this is Patricia Dalgleish, AKA Stealth (Striptease in the previous SPC). Stealth was a character I found interesting because of this line: "Striptease seems like a sexy, confident killer these days, but in fact she’s still a panicked school girl whose entire life changed in one hellish moment." This is a core motivation that I can hang RP hooks on, even if I alter everything else about her background. It's certainly more layered than her current entry, which only tells us that "Stealth works for whoever has the cash to afford her."
          • I feel there is overuse of the "is a bad guy because they're insane" trope. This is irritatingly abelist and helps reinforce social stigma against people who have mental issues by furthering the "crazy=dangerous" stereotype. Now, this is a long-standing comic trope, so it's difficult to excise completely. I get that. But I would prefer to see a bit less of it.
          • Other things I can think of are, admittedly, more personal dislikes, like many of the villains having few motives beyond "use powers to be mercenaries".
          I'll wrap up here. I hope this response is more in line with what you consider a constructive or helpful tone.

With regards, The Stray.
          The Stray
          Registered Member
          Last edited by The Stray; 11-12-2021, 06:02 PM.
          When the cat's a Stray, the mice will pray...

Comment

Working...
          X