Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Site hacked? Odd warning when viewing on multiple browsers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site hacked? Odd warning when viewing on multiple browsers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	34CDC945-CB65-49A5-BD4B-E2EA40FC5DDF.png
Views:	156
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	56279

Thanks for the report. I'm not seeing the same thing. It might be "scareware".

Don't click on anything, of course. I'd suggest clearing the cache of your browsers and running a virus scan.
    'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'

The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!

Comment

Nope. Sorry to say, the pop up is on multiple machines, multiple browsers, iOS iPad and windows pc.

somebody has added something to your side, or infected every os and platform I have access to.

Do you have ads? Maybe one has been compromised. Or a site plugin.

also, the forums seem fine, just the main site.

Comment

Just checked iPhone. Same bottom edge info request. I would very much advise treating this as a possible breach.

Comment

Pc desktop: Click image for larger version

Name:	732A36C3-1F2C-40C3-95EB-BFFDFC425DEE.png
Views:	136
Size:	784.4 KB
ID:	56286

Comment

• ValhallaGH
            ValhallaGH commented
            Editing a comment
            You are not the only one to see this.

• Ndreare
            Ndreare commented
            Editing a comment
            That is what I was curious about.

I do not see this on any device, and I access the site from two different Androids and a PC. Seeing someone else sees it makes me think it is not just as infection on the OPs network.

Ok. I'll let the higher-ups know!
          'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'

The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!

Comment

Also seeing this on multiple platforms.

Comment

Folks, this is a GDPR plugin. It lets you set your cookies preferences as per European Union law. I'll admit the presentation is unusual for your typical version, but that's something I'm sure our web developers can customize.

Comment

Well, that’s good to know.

Apologies for raising the alarm, then.

Comment

• steelbrok
                  steelbrok commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Better safe than sorry

• Ndreare
                  Ndreare commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Much better to report something than to let it go unreported and have them experience consequences.

So I am guessing everyone seeing it is using a VPN or actually from the EU?

• FoolishFrost
                  FoolishFrost commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nope. I’m in the USA.

While I understand that a business needs to comply with various national and international bits of legislation I was a little taken aback to see one of these here, in this fashion.

It might well have caused a "trust" hit because

- I now have to go and find out what you say you're collecting (off to read the Privacy Policy)
                - ... and then what you actually are collecting (about 20 minutes of my day in the browser console)
                - ... and navigate a cookie consent box, which are generally full of dark patterns, and consume my "it's a trap!" mental energy.

all of which requires engaging my brain in a field I wasn't expecting to.

This particular widget displays a couple of dark patterns designed to avoid users engaging brains in their own interest.

1) the associated value we place on silver/gold/platinum is at odds with the value that should be placed on the user's privacy, in a user focused experience.
                - "silver" being the option that a user might actually want to use to protect their privacy
                - "platinum" being biased towards marketing's needs

isn't a good look - it drives the message that the widget is designed with marketing in mind.

props for setting this to silver by default. I don't know if you can (I'm not sure hu-manity.co let you) but changing that scale's terms to reflect user priorities would be good.

2) the length of time that will expire is measured in months; it will bug me again when I made a choice already. While it's bad practice to create a forever-cookie,
                - user's don't generally change their minds to reduce their privacy.
                - when required to opt *in* to data collection, only about 5% of users will. (this is why these things are so twisty to deal with...)

if you're opting folk out by default perhaps set the lifetime longer than a month.
                you already have the fingerprint prominently displayed, I can change my choices whenever I care.

Comment

• FoolishFrost
                  FoolishFrost commented
                  Editing a comment
                  … you mean the one that had no perceptible effect on anything? I clicked it and nothing happened, several times.

• Donald Schepis
                  Donald Schepis commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We didn't design this tool, it's a plug-in our web developers chose based on functionality and pushed it live to be compliant. This one was billed as "the most comprehensive" when it comes to compliance, but their UI is really odd (as folks have noticed) so we're swapping to another one.

• Donald Schepis
                  Donald Schepis commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Also, we don't sell data in the first place.

I have to agree with the above. I don’t doubt peg’s intentions. They have a track record of not being evil asshats of doom. I trust the people at PEG to generally be good people.

But the GUI is positively SLIMY. it reeks of bad faith on an instinctual level, even though it does not do anything wrong. As someone who’s added plug-in elements to websites myself, this does happen. It still feels bad.

As to how much effort is it worth to adjust? Only as much as it effects business. And overall, that’s for them to consider. My only concern was that it walked and talked like a website breach. It was not one. My worry is absolved and it is now relegated to a point of minor amusement.

Comment

• Donald Schepis
                  Donald Schepis commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We're not happy with this plug-in upon implementation. It was billed as "the most comprehensive" option for GDPR and CCPA compliance, but the defaults are all super marketing-heavy, which is useless for us because we don't sell user data in the first place. So we're swapping out for another that is less comprehensive but more aligned with what we want.
              Working...
              X