SPC: Flat Characters Still Flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPC: Flat Characters Still Flat

We were promised updated NPCs. I've been going through them and...they're still the same one-note, uninteresting, bland characters they were before. Heck, one of the more interesting ones (Striptease, now called Stealth) actively had her interesting bits removed! (before she was a panicked girl putting up a confident front after accidentally mimicking then killing her partner, now the only description we get for her is "sultry" and we're told nothing of her backstory)

Simplifying characters who were interesting before in favor of adventure ideas (especially one as cliched as "doppelganger impersonates person close to heroes") is not my idea of forward progress.
    When the cat's a Stray, the mice will pray...

Updated doesn't mean more depth. I think they're purposely kept simple to be tabula rasa characters.
    That being said, it would be nice to have Doom Guard "bestiary" that fleshes out the characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Grave Knight View Post
      Updated doesn't mean more depth. I think they're purposely kept simple to be tabula rasa characters.
      That being said, it would be nice to have Doom Guard "bestiary" that fleshes out the characters.
      This is what was promised:

• The ROGUE’S GALLERY has been completely overhauled, both in story and powers, to better fit today’s comics. Every single one has new art and many connect to each other, creating a default setting for those who want it and easily ignored for those who don’t. From street-level threats to cosmic annihilators and rampaging kaiju, there’s a bit of badness here to challenge any super team!
      They completely overhauled the powers, but most of these guys have the same uninteresting backstories they had before. There's a bit more linking between characters, yes, but most of the changes are for the worse. The Controller, for instance, went from "AI secretly manipulating crime" to "guy in a suit." Boomer's backstory is still "picked up a cursed boomerang, lol," Arrowhead is now "basically superpowered Tanya Harding," Hangman is still "vigilante who will kill you for littering," Gladius now didn't even build his own stupid Gladiator suit...I could go on.

It's not like there are no improvements, but most of these rogues are still "thug with a gimmick that works for the highest bidder," rather than interesting characters with interesting motivations (and like Striptease/Stealth and The Controller, actively had what interesting bits they had before removed).

Comment

Don't take this the wrong way but the nature of how you are providing the feedback is not one that I think would motivate somebody to respond with action. I would go so far as to say your feedback style will only put somebody on the defensive and then your point will not go across.

Try to keep in mind that this represents hundreds of hours of labor for somebody who loved it enough to want to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ndreare View Post
        Don't take this the wrong way but the nature of how you are providing the feedback is not one that I think would motivate somebody to respond with action. I would go so far as to say your feedback style will only put somebody on the defensive and then your point will not go across.

Try to keep in mind that this represents hundreds of hours of labor for somebody who loved it enough to want to do it.
        I know I have a low post count because I mostly lurk, but I am not, in fact, new here. What I am, is massively disappointed, and the forum they've set up for us to provide feedback very specifically does NOT allow for the sort of feedback this product, which I remind you I have already paid money for, needs. It does not bode well that the only feedback we are allowed to give on the forum specifically opened for that purpose is typo-related. They didn't do that for works that must have taken much longer than this to produce, such as RIFTS or Pathfinder...not, at least, until they had a significant amount of other feedback first and were planning to take it to print. This is nowhere near the "just find typos" stage.

I've seen your other posts. You have issues with this product as-is, too. Let me vent my way.
        Last edited by The Stray; 10-21-2021, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X