SPC 3: Construct is overpriced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPC 3: Construct is overpriced

This is a problem that Construct has all throughout SWADE, but it's most noticeable here -- the individual effects that make up Construct are overpriced for the benefits they provide (which are all entirely situational AT BEST, and will never come up at worst), which makes Construct (and Undead) overpriced when you add it all in. Immunity to Poison and Disease might be worth a single point each, but being able to forgo isn't worth 2 points. Neither are the abilities to ignore Hunger and Thirst (which Dependency ignores anyway) or the ability to not breathe (which only ever matters in niche cases). This is BEFORE you add in that Constructs don't heal AT ALL on their own and that it takes and hour PER WOUND to reduce their Wounds. The Golden Hour only ever mattered if the team's healer went down.
    When the cat's a Stray, the mice will pray...

I think this is something brought up very often. It is one of those situations where the sum is less than the parts.

I would place both as 5 point abilities at most. I also think it is weird we do not have an Elemental power that should also cost 5 points. These are all alternate builds that include big limitations on natural healing that could be used to justify costing less than the sum of their parts.

Pretty sure you will see extensive conversation on it if you chose to look it up on these forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Ndreare View Post
      I think this is something brought up very often. It is one of those situations where the sum is less than the parts.

I would place both as 5 point abilities at most. I also think it is weird we do not have an Elemental power that should also cost 5 points. These are all alternate builds that include big limitations on natural healing that could be used to justify costing less than the sum of their parts.

Pretty sure you will see extensive conversation on it if you chose to look it up on these forums.
      I'm sure I have. I will continue to complain about this, though, until it's fixed.
      When the cat's a Stray, the mice will pray...

Comment

• Ndreare
        Ndreare commented
        Editing a comment
        lol,
        I am there with you on this one. Agreement in concept, even if not at the same level of passion.

• The Stray
        The Stray commented
        Editing a comment
        Part of this comes from making custom Races and having Construct eat all the points up before any other abilities are applied.

Yeah, Fairly sure most people wanting to play a construct would make sure they can heal themselves whether with regeneration or repair. Not to mention them ignoring bleed out doesnt really do anything since Bleed out is not available with the Super Power Companions ruleset. 5 Points would be more than fair.

Comment

Regardless of the relative power level, the math doesn’t even work that well.

+2 to recover Shaken (basically Combat Reflexes) is 2PP
        Ignore 1 Wound (Nerves of Steel) is 2PP
        Immune to Poison/Disease is 2PP
        Doesn’t Eat/Breathe are technically 2PP each (too expensive, especially with the overall reduction in PP in SPC3) but both are pretty situational, and you get most of the benefits from the 1PP version of each
        Doesnt Bleed Out is a strictly better version of Hard to Kill, but still not worth more than 2PP (I’d take any number of 2PP powers/mods over this)
        Repair is at least a -1PP, if not -2PP

(Worth noting that they got rid of the immunity to Called Shots, which is fine, but doesn’t seem to have been factored into the cost and is a straight nerf)

So in the most generous interpretation, Construct *might* be worth 10-11PP, which would be sort of reasonable, except that you lose all the flexibility. Being forced to take all of the above is itself limiting. You can’t play around with modifiers at all, just take it or leave it. Construct should be either cheaper or better. As it stands, I don’t know why anyone would take it over just playing a character with construct-like trappings and buy the powers individually.

Comment

Working...
        X