X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sablemage View Post
    Thanks everyone
    You're welcome!

Campaign 1 used core Deluxe powers with the No Power Points setting rule (all others used Power Points). There were two spellcasters, the one with AB: Miracles didn't cause too many problems (Boost/Lower Trait was available but used sparingly) but the one with AB: Magic was overfond of Blast. However, the players concerned controlled themselves in the interests of the story. This was the least badly broken campaign.
    Yeah, 'buff' powers combine with NPP to be pretty strong. The cumulative penalty limits how many of those pile up, but that can still be brutal when a powerful character has a +4 Toughness and +4 to weapon damage.
    The overuse of blast might be an issue, but the innate -2 to casting and the mediocre damage should make it only useful for clearing out trash mooks on one side of a fight.

Campaign 2 used Deluxe with the Beasts & Barbarians setting. The Enlightened Monk loaded up on Edges and Powers to increase both attacks per turn and damage per attack, and by Heroic level the party felt that if they could hold the line for the 3-4 turns it took him to power up, he could deal with whatever they were facing. (They were right, except for once.) The power that broke the camel's back here was Speed, by doubling the number of attacks. The player concerned resolved this unprompted by voluntarily retiring the PC and starting a new one.
    ... Yeah, that's why the quickness power was cut and turned into a (much weaker) modifier for sloth/speed.
    Also, most combats only last 3-4 rounds. If the other characters in the party could fight then the combats should have generally been over by the time the Monk was ready to fight.

Campaign 3
    I don't think I need to comment on this one.

Campaign 4 is ongoing, again using vanilla SWADE. ...There were NPC opponents with the Puppet power, and the group was talked into fleeing the area of space they inhabited by the second player since "Puppet is so overpowered there is nothing we can do against it" (that despite the party having thoroughly defeated said NPCs once in combat).
    Damn, that is one impressive Persuasion (deception) result! Tricking murderous adventurers into thinking that puppet could work further than 72 yards (d12 Smarts with the triple Range modifier) away is an amazing exploitation of ignorance. Kudos to those NPCs.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• Sablemage
      Sablemage commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope, that was one of the players talking the rest of the group out of facing down the NPCs.

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
    ... Yeah, that's why the quickness power was cut and turned into a (much weaker) modifier for sloth/speed.
    But I have such fond Totems of the Dead memories of the caster character casting quickness on multiple characters, usually prioritizing the warrior characters over himself.......you know, however overpowered magic may be in any system, it's infinitely more tolerable if it's buffing allies instead of dominating the game on your own.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
      ValhallaGH commented
      Editing a comment
      Buffs are always better when they augment someone that's already expert, and sharing the love makes it feel more balanced. But that doesn't make the older versions of quickness actually balanced.

OK, so I think I can summarise the advice as "read carefully what the power description actually says", which sounds less damaging than anything I came up with.

I'll try that first.

Thanks again, all!

Comment

• ValhallaGH
      ValhallaGH commented
      Editing a comment
      Good luck!

The "we win" button in my recently completed Deadlands game was Deflection applied to the whole group. It meant that the Huckster was pretty much useless for the rest of the fight (having thrown all their points into covering the group), but it also meant that the rest of the group didn't have to worry about cover and such. But I used a bad guy who used Deflection on himself and Dispel on the PCs which led to the hardest fight in the game and a PC almost dying.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick J'onzz View Post
      The "we win" button in my recently completed Deadlands game was Deflection applied to the whole group. It meant that the Huckster was pretty much useless for the rest of the fight (having thrown all their points into covering the group), but it also meant that the rest of the group didn't have to worry about cover and such. But I used a bad guy who used Deflection on himself and Dispel on the PCs which led to the hardest fight in the game and a PC almost dying.
      Yep, it is all about countering. Even if the players all have deflect going, Area Effect's like blast would still hit them directly. Against something like that ttheres not much protection except with the Arcane Protection Power.

And if players abuse Speed / Quickness, theres nothing preventing their adversaries from utilising such strategies, is there?

Comment

Working...
      X