No announcement yet.

What are your favorite powers in SWADE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your favorite powers in SWADE?

What are your favorite powers in SWADE? These are my Top 4:

1. Telekinesis. The ultimate open-ended power. Pick enemies up and drop them from a great height or smash them into the ceiling. Grab objects. Stop a suspect from running away. Levitate yourself out of danger. Save an ally or NPC who is falling. Hold an ally or NPC who is attacking against their will. And since the power lasts for 5 rounds (including if you drop the first target for a new one) it has staying power. My favorite power in SWADE.

2. Healing. An essential power in my view and it is even better in SWADE given greater healing has been folded into it. There have been many times in my adventuring life when the ability to heal wounds in 1 action/the middle of combat was life-saving. The fact it can get rid of poison and disease is a nice bonus.

3. Boost/Lower Trait. The flexibility of this power is massive. You can buff any trait -- attribute or skill -- of your allies. Or you can use it as a trait lowering curse against your enemies, making it massively versatile. And you can apply the strong modifier when using it as a curse which is a powerful option. Vigor and the fighting skill are excellent traits to target given the additional passive effect on toughness or parry. And the power is cheap -- only 2 pp.

4. Sloth/Speed. The primary attraction here is the quickness modifier. Anything which lets you break the action economy is extremely powerful by default. I would consider taking the limitation speed/quickness only to make the pp cost cheaper. Still, the sloth aspect has its uses, such as when a high strength, melee based enemy is attempting to close in on you. And sloth can be cast with the strong modifier, which is a plus.

Unfortunately I have never played a character who had all four of these powers. At least one always seems to be siloed under some other arcane background. My current character has 3 of 4. A few of my past characters had 3 of 4.

Honorable mentions: blast (better in SWADE due to the selective power modifier), deflection, invisibility, puppet.
    Last edited by Ogre Mage; 09-20-2021, 10:07 AM.

My favorites are Havoc and Entangle. The lack of a resistance roll makes these great support powers. With these powers a character does not need to be able to injure an opponent, instead they can set them up for the next player in line to do what is needed.

Comment

Havoc has to be a favourite of mine as well. You can really wreck some havoc with that power if the environment allows it. Ie fighting on a bridge, near a cliff etc.

Comment

Those are some good choices. I will add Teleport. It is handy to get places, including avoiding having to withdraw, and can get you out of Entangle (especially if you do not have to use gestures).

My group really likes Blast.

Comment

You might say that we have a blast with Blast.

Comment

I'm surprised no one has *touched* upon intangibility yet.

Comment

I read a post by someone else who said Entangle with all the modifiers was their group's "screw this, I'm done with this encounter" move.
              Savage Summaries-RAW, with added info from Clint:Combat Actions,Cover,Healing,Using Powers,Grappling,Chases (all SWD)
              Also:Persuasion (SWADE),Better Bosses (SWADE),Handling Illusions (SWADE), Better Combat Rating (system independent)
              And:historical tech levels,generic SW sci-fi tech levels (both system indepdent)

Comment

Originally posted by ZenFox42 View Post
                I read a post by someone else who said Entangle with all the modifiers was their group's "screw this, I'm done with this encounter" move.
                It is a highly effective way of preparing an exodus.

Comment

My favorite/hated (yes, same one) is definitely boost trait

Comment

• Ndreare
                    Ndreare commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I like boost/lower trait.
                    As a player and game master I feel like boost/lower trait and elemental manipulation can be used to represent the character who know a bunch of minor spells.

Protection is probably my favorite. It is really cheap (1 PP), easy to scale up (additional armor), and can be useful in any setting (by making it Toughness).
                  Entangle is fantastic for offense or defense / escape. And the fact that it just works (if only briefly) is amazing.
                  Bolt, like table salt, is an underappreciated staple. It is flexible, cheap, generally effective, and works in most combat situations; most people overlook it but when it is not available, the lack is noticeable.

There are a few powers that read amazing but play underwhelming. For me, these are boost/lower Trait, elemental manipulation, environmental protection, and telekinesis.
                  I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
                    ValhallaGH commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ndreare Elemental manipulation has some firm limits and a lot of discretionary room.
                    Unfortunately, every GM I have played with does not want to let EM be as flexible as the text implies it can be. For reasons I was not allowed to lift stuff with my d6 / d8 Strength, to move things that were not dirt / flame / water, to do creative actions including Tests. It reads incredibly well but in play I have yet to be impressed.

• Ndreare
                    Ndreare commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh, bummer.
                    That sounds lame. I think I would be annoyed if the GM did not allow my d6 strength air flows to bring me cups of coffee or lift small objects.
                    I think I would go so far as to say your dealing with an adversarial GM and it just not being worth playing with at a certain point.
                    Should players just use combat options to do everything?

• Ogre Mage
                    Ogre Mage commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Interesting. I recently hit heroic rank and have gotten tremendous use out of telekinesis. In contrast, the SWADE version of bolt was very good at novice rank but since then it has become underwhelming and is not used much. I actually find it is more pp efficient to spend 5 pp on telekinesis and smash or drop enemies from a great height for 5 rounds rather than throwing bolt after bolt.

Entangle is so OP. A shame that when I tell people who OP it really is they don't believe me.

Comment

Working...
                  X