Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Characters Novice During Character Creation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ValhallaGH
    commented on 's reply
    Yep. It was in Deluxe edition; it gave +5 PP for a specific Arcane Background as a +1 ability; +10 as a +2.

• Ndreare
    commented on 's reply
    Originally posted by ValhallaGH
    Except there are no Power Points in the racial abilities table. Not in Adventure Edition.
    I was thinking of the Rifts races as they are the only races I know of that begin with power points. But I just looked in the Rifts book and could not find it. I could have sworn it was there and was underpriced at 1 point for 5 power points. But looking with the book open it is not there.

• ValhallaGH
    commented on 's reply
    Except there are no Power Points in the racial abilities table. Not in Adventure Edition.

• Ndreare
    replied
    Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post
    What ^^^these fine folk^^^ said.

The one thing I will add is that the "Edge" racial ability is the one exception to the rule. If a race begins with, say, Power Points, then the character may choose the Edge again as a Novice.

At least, I'm pretty sure that's rules-legal. An Official Answer may be needed to confirm.
    I think when races begin with power points it is from the racial abilities table, not from the actual power points edge. So I would not consider this an exception, so much as a niche case.

Leave a comment:

• dentris
    commented on 's reply
    There is a difference between starting with +5 PP (like many Rifts Iconic Frameworks) and starting with with Power Points Edge.

• Deskepticon
    commented on 's reply
    SeeleyOne That was true under Deluxe, but Adventure Edition changed things. See Official Answer on Half-folk Luck here.

I had initially thought "repeatable" Edges would be different from Edges you can only take once, but now I'm having second thoughts. I suspect ValhallaGH may in fact be right. We'll just have to see what the Official Answer comes back as.

• SeeleyOne
    commented on 's reply
    Huh, I have always played that it stacks. Maybe I was wrong, since in hindsight only the Half Folk specifically said it did.

• ValhallaGH
    commented on 's reply
    I can see the argument but I don't think it is kosher. Definitely a candidate for Official Answers.

• Deskepticon
    replied
    What ^^^these fine folk^^^ said.

The one thing I will add is that the "Edge" racial ability is the one exception to the rule. If a race begins with, say, Power Points, then the character may choose the Edge again as a Novice.

At least, I'm pretty sure that's rules-legal. An Official Answer may be needed to confirm.

UPDATE
    So the Official Answer is in, and I was wrong. Any Edge acquired during character creation counts toward the Edge's normal Rank restrictions.
    Last edited by Deskepticon; 09-13-2021, 06:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SeeleyOne
    replied
    The only thing that is and was special about "per Rank" and creation being Novice was getting Attributes at creation. Edges have ALWAYS had to obey that rule. They key difference is that the rule for Attributes is only listed in the Advance section. The Edges specify it in the Edge.

Leave a comment:

• ValhallaGH
    replied
    Originally posted by Toa Lewa View Post
    Maybe this is a leftover from playing Deluxe, but I always thought characters at character creation are a different rank than Novice.
    Nope, character creation is Novice. This has always been true. If characters were not Novice then they wouldn't be able to take Edges (all of which require a rank of Novice or higher).

The New Powers Edge has no Rank restrictions, at all. The specific powers do but not the Edge.
    Attribute Increase from Advances is limited to once per rank. Character creation does not normally have any Advances.
    The Power Points Edge does have a per Rank restriction, written into it. If you take it at Novice Rank, by any method, then you cannot take it again during Novice Rank.

Leave a comment:

• dentris
    replied
    Edges that can only be taken once per rank cannot be acquired again until you reach Seasoned if you get them at character generation.

Attributes, on the other hand, is another matter, thanks to wording. According to the rules, you can only increase Attributes through Advances once per rank. Thing is, at character creation, you do not uses Advances, but Hindrance Points. This is the difference.

Leave a comment:

• Toa Lewa
    started a topic Are Characters Novice During Character Creation?

Are Characters Novice During Character Creation?

Maybe this is a leftover from playing Deluxe, but I always thought characters at character creation are a different rank than Novice. The implications of this are you can take things like New Powers and Attribute Increase from hindrances at character creation and then get them again at Novice. But I see Novice is now advance 0-3.
Working...
X