SPC 3rd edition thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPC 3rd edition thoughts

So, I'm so excited, and I can't hide it...I'm about to loose my mind and I think I like it....

In anticipation of SPC3, what are people hoping for?

Personally I want a reasonable way to do Characters with vehicles (Batmobiles, Bugs, Invisible Jets, etc...)

I want some of the non combat powers (object reading I'm looking at you) transferred over

A discussion on using "normal" arcane Backgrounds in a super world

I like what you have said, especially crossing arcane backgrounds.

Here are a few more.
    1. Regeneration from death (a common trope in comics, missed in SPC before.)
    2. Amplification and Suppression powers (another common type in super comics.)
    3. A super Attribute and Skill modifier that removes trait maximum. Mostly to allowed characters who grow in power as they gain experience.

Comment

• Deskepticon
      Deskepticon commented
      Editing a comment
      What do you propose such a power would look like?

• Ndreare
      Ndreare commented
      Editing a comment
      Honestly as it is a concept thing more than a raw power thing I would suggest something like a Regeneration modifier or a stand alone power like the following.

Unkillable: The character is effectively immortal and will come back to like even if killed. Only old age can permanently kill the immortal. If killed the character continues making Natural Healing rolls at her normal interval. On a raise the character recovers from incapacitation. This power does not include regeneration or removal of injuries, see regeneration for more options. 6 points

I am thinking the cost should be basically like the cost of purchasing 3 edges, hard to kill, harder to kill and a new step beyond that. Characters could still take immune to aging and bio-regeneration to add onto it. But this could represent something like a Lich, a Deadpool, or a Wolverine who keeps coming back from the dead.

I have a vested interest because I have a character based off of this idea and it would be nice to do without requiring hand waving.

• Deskepticon
      Deskepticon commented
      Editing a comment
      I suppose some settings might not use the Death & Defeat setting rule, and this new power can help add some variety to those games, but when the Setting Rule is used, it means that charater is playing by a whole other set of rules. I'll point out that powers (currently) don't alter the effects of the Defeat Table. Notably, the Marked, Exhausted, and Fatigued outcomes don't benefit from the Regrowth or Recovery modifiers.

As you pointed out, this power is really just a clever use of Harder To Kill. For the same 6-point investment that you proposed, you could instead create a third Edge (call it Impossible to Kill) that allows for redraws on the Defeat Table if the player draws a 5 or lower.
      This would keep everyone playing by the same rules, it still effectively makes the character immortal, and it has nice familiar tone by mirroring the mechanics of the Quick Edge (making it easy to remember).

Thoughts? Criticisms?

There is an already reasonable way of making characters with vehicles. It's a switchable/device combo. Basically set aside a few points to represent your vehicle (Superspeed, armor and weaponry for example) with the device modfier, then tackle the switchable modifier on top. You then use those points for stuff you can do outside your vehicle (like superpunches and stuff).

Your hero now has two modes: inside vehicle and outside vehicle.

Comment

• JmOz01
      JmOz01 commented
      Editing a comment
      Deskepticon I agree about point two and three, and even sometimes #1 (especially open air vehicles) , but feel there are enough benefits to a "Rodent mobile" that switchable just does not cover it for me. Something however like a minion/sidekick power might...

• Radecliffe
      Radecliffe commented
      Editing a comment
      JmOz01 Spending a bennie to let someone use your vehicle for a scene or encounter seems a reasonable variation on the power stunt to me. A lot simpler than trying to convert power points to currency or the like. Using Switchable is the best option we know of unless they come up with a new mechanic in the new SPC.

• JmOz01
      JmOz01 commented
      Editing a comment
      Radecliffe they did say they will be adding a vehicle power. My BIGGEST problem was always the vehicle holding more than one person. Part of the reason open aired vehicles were fine with me (As passengers would not be protected). I do use the bennies to use other's gear house rule...

I'd like to see a unification or consistency between Telekinesis, Energy Control, and Matter Control. Right now they all do kinda the same things but not entirely, and it's confusing which one is better or more intended in different circumstances.

Vehicle as a Power does seem like a good idea, sort of a supplement to Minions. I agree that cash is a bad way to handle it in a Supers game since you don't really associate powers with money most of the time - even characters who are Filthy Rich have training and gadgets that would be bought with SPC points, not money. I honestly don't think mundane gear has much of a place at all in most supers games.

I'd like to see the Power Points called something else. It's confusing when interacting with the main SWADE game to have two things with the same name but very different executions.

A power-boosting power or option would be nice to represent power sets like the Blue Lantern Corps boosting Green Lanterns.

Some kind of time manipulation, maybe? I know that's not really too feasible in games but it's definitely lacking now.

Mechanics for different power origins might be interesting in terms of trappings or something, or at least identifying which powers come from super-science, magic, super-training, mutant physiology, etc.

Comment

• JmOz01
      JmOz01 commented
      Editing a comment
      Also as some type of changing people into older/younger versions (Turned into an old person or baby)

• SteelDraco
      SteelDraco commented
      Editing a comment
      ... huh. That's something I've never considered how I would do in Savage Worlds at all. Turning someone into a helpless form isn't a thing at all in SWADE; in SWPF it would be either the Turn to Stone modifier of Curse or the Transform modifier for Shape Change. In SPC terms I expect it would be a trapping of Infection maybe, to turn someone either younger or older so they're penalized (levels of Fatigue) and then Incapacitated.

• Deskepticon
      Deskepticon commented
      Editing a comment
      JmOz01 Yeah, as SteelDraco mentioned, aging or de-aging a target is probably best handled through Fatigue, either through the Infection power or perhaps Poison. Decay can even be used for aging a target (assuming the power also works on inanimate objects), while Paralysis may be used to turning someone into a helpless infant.

The point is, there really isn't any express need for a dedicated "aging" power when existing mechanics can easily provide a desired result.

I Hope the martial arts compagnion will not be nessessary to do a batman/daredevil/ironfist like superhero.I hope there are still destinctive hand to hand powers in it.
    btw. Any info for when the pdf will dropp

Comment

• ValhallaGH
      ValhallaGH commented
      Editing a comment
      According to the pledge system, "We plan to deliver the PDF of the book and archetype cards a few days after the project closes." So, probably sometime this week.

• Ndreare
      Ndreare commented
      Editing a comment
      I have noticed that PEG seems to like Tuesdays. I have no clue why, but it seems like a lot of the updates I get on projects and kickstarters are on Tuesdays. So maybe we will get it tomorrow or next Tuesday?

• SteelDraco
      SteelDraco commented
      Editing a comment
      I expect Tuesdays are because of something like "Finish up over the weekend, have people review on Monday, release on Tuesday"
Working...
X