No announcement yet.

House Rule Question, Initiative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're also used a lot on adventure Builder tables in the various GM's guide. Oh, and I use them for Adventure Cards, assigning an Adventure Card to each card in the deck. That works quite well.

Oh, and I absolutely love the Ghost Towns book for Deadlands, which uses all parts of the card (including making hands) to generate town-based adventures.

Once you get used to it, the cards add a great extra resource for randomization.
    When the cat's a Stray, the mice will pray...

Comment

Originally posted by The Stray View Post
      They're also used a lot on adventure Builder tables in the various GM's guide.
      In 30 years, I have never actually used those types of tables. Seriously, I get how they can be useful for some styles, but not for mine. And only time I've seen cards used for a chase (not in Savage Worlds, but a similar system)... it took longer to set up the cards than it took to resolve the chase. Which also breaks flow.

Again, I'm looking for alternatives to cards, not "cards are cool/useful" arguments. They're NOT for me and my group, and I'm trying to find a way to avoid the uncool stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Paladin View Post
        Again, I'm looking for alternatives to cards, not "cards are cool/useful" arguments. They're NOT for me and my group, and I'm trying to find a way to avoid the uncool stuff.
        Fair enough.
        In defense of the others, the ones that weren't paying attention, we have seen a few folks that were highly skeptical of the cards before actually trying them; some of us were those guys. And most of us really like card-based initiative.

You're looking for an alternative. It looks like you want:
        • Dice roll based, so you can just call for a roll and get it done.
        • Similar odds of Jokers.
        • Ability to incorporate the various Initiative affecting Edges.
        I would suggest: using an Agility roll.
        +2 for the Quick Edge.
        Additional die, like RoF, for Hesitant / Level Headed, but only keep one total.
        Total of 20+ is a Joker.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Paladin View Post
          So I'm relatively new to Savage Worlds. Picked up the system around the time of the first Rifts kickstarter. Have run a few times, and I'm trying to get my group together to do virtual sessions. The issue is with the initiative system in the rules as written, using playing cards. This is awkward enough at the tabletop, but gets oh so much worse online through Discord or other chat program. Has anyone come up with a decent alternate system?
          Late to the party, and I haven't used it personally, but there's a bot called savagebot specifically for playing SW on discord.

Comment

Working...
          X