Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Setting Rules) Suggestions for a grim survival Sword and Sorcery game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Setting Rules) Suggestions for a grim survival Sword and Sorcery game?

What setting Rules, and from where, do you think would set the feel for a grim S&S setting with an emphasis on limited resources?

Grim sword and sorcery? Like Warhammer fantasy? Because I can't think of another grim Sword & Sorcery setting (and WHF adds Dark fantasy to the mix).

Grim settings are defined by corruption and sacrifice. The world is a bad place, people are selfish jerks, and doing anything good has a large cost attached. Corruption might be limited to bribery and graft or include supernatural effects, like radiation poisoning.

From the core rules, I would recommend the Dynamic Backlash, Gritty Damage, and Hard Choices setting rules for Grim settings. I would recommend Creative Combat, Dynamic Backlash, Fast Healing, and Multiple Languages, and Unarmored Hero setting rules for S&S; maybe High Adventure depending upon how competent I wanted the heroes to be. (Fast Healing and Gritty Damage seem to clash but they do different things, with the former emphasizing the relentless drive to adventure and the latter emphasizing that violence has costs.)
    I'd probably use a modification of the Technical Difficulties setting rule from Rifts for Savage Worlds for a Grim setting. Apply it to all gear on a relevant Critical Failure.

I would probably also go with lower starting funds, probably half ($250).

For just Sword & Sorcery, I strongly recommend Beasts & Barbarians. It is excellent.
    Good luck!
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

I have B &B. It's close to what I am going for. I am looking at a game that closely adheres to the 2nd Ed Dark Sun setting but leaning harder into the REH Sword and Sorcery model rather than the more upbeat ERB Sword and Planet model that Dark Sun eventually became. I am also using this as an excuse to buy new books ( been out of the RPG market for about 5 years).

I like the idea of combing fast healing and gritty damage. I hadn't thought to use both, but your argument is sound. Thanks!

Comment

Ah! Yeah, if you want Dark Sun style sword & sorcery then Beasts & Barbarians, or PEG's Lankhmar, would be a fine foundation. (While both settings were written for the Deluxe edition, they do have free Adventure Edition update documents available.) Throw in a couple of setting rules to emphasize the harshness of the world and remember that all NPCs are selfish jerks, and the tone should be set.

Good luck and have fun!
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
          From the core rules, I would recommend the Dynamic Backlash, Gritty Damage, and Hard Choices setting rules for Grim settings. I would recommend Creative Combat, Dynamic Backlash, Fast Healing, and Multiple Languages, and Unarmored Hero setting rules for S&S
          I would agree with this, but add that the No Power Points setting rule makes big epic magic super hard to use, and can add a lot of risk.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
            ValhallaGH commented
            Editing a comment
            Very true, which is why I did not recommend it. It makes anything more ambitious than bolt or burst too unreliable, rendering magic as practical as air power in a war against the United States; the option technically exists but is doomed to failure.
        Working...
        X