Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disarming Arrow for SPC2

Hello All,

I have a quick question. I was looking at old Super Heroes. And one had specialty arrow which could be used to disarm opponents. How would that look for in game stats? I don’t necessarily have to have it built by using Powers since the companion does list Trick Arrows. So even just writing up something as Gear. What would you guys recommend? I didn’t see any Edges that grant bonuses to Disarm maneuver. That was my first thought. Also I wouldn’t think that Disarm should have the same damage as Blunt Arrow because that would be redundant. Anyways, thanks!

Disarm is just a Called Shot, so anything that removes penalties would be appropriate. The Marksman Edge is a good candidate.

If you want to use powers to make Disarm easier, this might get a bit fiddly considering how each separate mechanic works. By RAW, you might want to use Negation to lower Strength, with a Contingent Ranged Attack to supply the damage for the Disarm check.

Another option (though technically not rules-legal) is to use the Projectile mod to deliver the Jinx power for an instant mishap if a it hits. The mishap, of course, being dropping the held weapon.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply! I like your idea. On consideration, I think I’ll make the arrow +2 for Disarm and just keep the STR the same as Blunt Damage. That does not seem too bad.

Comment

• Deskepticon
        Deskepticon commented
        Editing a comment
        You mean as plain ole gear?
        I'd make it a trade-off. "+2 damage when making Disarm, but it deals non-lethal damage" seems fair.

Not sure what you mean by "blunt" damage... I suspect you meant non-lethal?

Yeah plain ole (Super) gear. I could go either way. Since Archers have Trick Arrows, I was also looking at ways to
      write up this as a Trick Arrow too. Thankfully you gave me a solid suggestion and not the stock (and I’ve seen this on other game boards too), it’s the GM’s decision. Thanks again!

Comment

Deskepticon, another thought about this arrow. If bought with Super Powers would be to give the arrow either Super skill shooting or SuperEdge (marksmanship) to represent the disarming. The strength to roll however would be the same as a blunt arrow as listed in Gear. This build would keep things simpler.

Comment

• Deskepticon
          Deskepticon commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not seeing a "blunt arrow" in the gear section. Are you re-trapping the rubber bullets? Can you give a page number? It's possible I'm just overlooking it.

Um, yeah, you can buy Super Edge (Marksman) with a -1 Device modifier specifically for a "disarming arrow", but you'd probably be better off taking that Super Edge for your bow and enjoying the benefit with all your shots. It'll cost the same either way (due to mandatory minimums), so why apply unnecessary limitations on yourself?

Another thing to look at is Power Tricks (p.10). By taking a -2 to Shooting (which Marksman can negate), you can give the target a -2 on their Strength roll to hold their weapon. You'd still need to make a Called Shot for -2 (or worse), but assuming you got some Super Skill (Shooting) and a beefed up Attack, Ranged power, you should be golden.

Your right about Blunt Arrows. I probably looked at Trick Projectiles and figures Blunt Arrows. I’m used to Champions where everything is “Blunt” and killing attacks are typically the exemption.

Comment

• Deskepticon
          Deskepticon commented
          Editing a comment
          No worries.
      Working...
      X