Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evasion - Basically nothing can be evaded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evasion - Basically nothing can be evaded?

The rules for evasion state that, "If an attack doesn’t say it can be evaded, it can’t." Looking through the book, there are only 4 places that say this. The first is grenades. The second is in the breath weapons section in the designing threats rules. The other two are in the blocks for Fire Elemental and Water Elemental. None of the powers can be evaded and no other enemy abilities can be evaded.

Is that right? That feels like an oversight to me. It makes AOE powers like Burst and Blast really effective, especially when Blast is using LBT with selective targeting.
    Last edited by TheChemist; 05-24-2021, 05:10 AM.

Just opened up the pdf and searched for evade.
    We get flamethrowers, grenades, missiles, all breath weapons, and the elementals. I would have thought all template attacks, personally, but there you go.
    Like what you have read in someone's post? Hit that like button and let everyone know.

I run Deadlands Reloaded. One of my players writes an incharacter blog here --> http://ballgownsandbattleskirts.blog...deadlands.html

Comment

If a power "telegraphs" the attack, it can be Evaded. Something like arcing a fireball as opposed to causing the ground to suddenly erupt. This is narratively dependant so it isn't "baked into" the power descriptions. Allowing an Evasion roll on a power is probably worth a 1pp reduction, similar to a Limitation.

Comment

Deskepticon - I appreciate you're using Trappings to determine "telegraphing", but the SW rules are so literal that the phrase "If an attack doesn’t say it can be evaded, it can’t" leads me to think that since Blast, Burst, etc. don't mention it, they can't even be Trapped to allow it by RAW. But the GM always has the final say...
        Savage Summaries-RAW, with added info from Clint:Combat Actions,Cover,Healing,Using Powers,Grappling,Chases (all SWD)
        Also:Persuasion (SWADE),Better Bosses (SWADE),Handling Illusions (SWADE), Better Combat Rating (system independent)
        And:historical tech levels,generic SW sci-fi tech levels (both system indepdent)

Comment

Originally posted by ZenFox42 View Post
          Deskepticon - I appreciate you're using Trappings to determine "telegraphing", but the SW rules are so literal that the phrase "If an attack doesn’t say it can be evaded, it can’t" leads me to think that since Blast, Burst, etc. don't mention it, they can't even be Trapped to allow it by RAW. But the GM always has the final say...
          Yeah, I feel like this must have been an intentional choice, either for simplification or balance. Looking back at SWEX, Blast took into account ranged attack modifiers (and could deviate) and Burst allowed an Agility roll vs caster's Arcane skill to avoid it.

Comment

• ellipses
            ellipses commented
            Editing a comment
            Then again, Blast in SWEX had ridiculous range and automatically counted as a Heavy Weapon for less power points compared to SWADE (and couldn't necessarily be evaded, depending on trapping) and Burst did 2d10 damage and counted as a Heavy Weapon, as opposed to base 2d6.

Burst and Blast are not subject to Evasion by RAW. Most other area attacks are, like grenades, missiles, breath weapons, etc.

Being subject to Evasion would make those powers weaker, so if you want that to be how they work in your game, bump up the power of those Powers in some other way - decreased PP cost (making "subject to Evasion" a Power-specific Limitation as Deskepticon suggests is how I deal with it), bump the base damage to 2d8, or something like that. Keep in mind that it will take longer to resolve those powers if you have to do an Evasion roll each time, too.

Comment

Yeah, I definitely missed a few things in my search. It seems that most things *other* than powers can be evaded. That's probably fine. This wasn't coming from a place of experience, it just felt weird to me to have the evasion rules for so few mechanics.

Comment

Working...
            X