switchable question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• switchable question

hi,i've got one question for my superhero character. I would like my hero to use only one power at a time,but for all of his power. Using the switchable rule is quite impossible, the cost is too high if you want 6 or 7 powers. so what could be a solution? a limitation on all the powers? Thanks for any and all help.

It would help to know what powers you're looking at. Some powers, like low levels of super skill and super attribute, can make a lot of sense even for "only one power at a time" supers.

The other reason I ask is because many different powers can be handled with a single game mechanic; a character with telekinetic punches, telekinesis, protective energy bubbles, and the ability to summon constructs could simply have force control with a telekinesis trapping.

As with most SPC questions, the specifics will need a lot of tweaking to fit the desired Trappings.

As a generic response, having a major Limitation (One at a time), augmented by Switchable, is probably the way to handle it if your concept requires seven powers at or near your power limit.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
      It would help to know what powers you're looking at. Some powers, like low levels of super skill and super attribute, can make a lot of sense even for "only one power at a time" supers.

The other reason I ask is because many different powers can be handled with a single game mechanic; a character with telekinetic punches, telekinesis, protective energy bubbles, and the ability to summon constructs could simply have force control with a telekinesis trapping.

As with most SPC questions, the specifics will need a lot of tweaking to fit the desired Trappings.

As a generic response, having a major Limitation (One at a time), augmented by Switchable, is probably the way to handle it if your concept requires seven powers at or near your power limit.
      I'm tryin to create a character that has a power similar to the main character from the videogame Beyond: Two Souls. Actually she has no power but she is followed by a presence called Hayden which is invisible and helps her during the plot with many different powers (but it can use just one power at a time). Here's a list of Hayden's powers but to give you a better idea (and prevent to write like 20 pages of description) is better to watch a couple of short videos on youtube (not sure if i can link them here). Here's the list: levitation, aura perception, telkinesis, possession, clairvoyance (she sees what hayden sees), medium (power to be possessed by ghosts and alike), healing, force field, pyrokynesis (can create just a campfire if it has woods and stuff to fuel it, it can increase or shut off an existing flame but it never uses it to attack).

Comment

What's your game's tier--Four Color, Heavy Hitters?

Comment

Huh. I recall a discussion about exactly that idea from the old forum, but I can't find it now.

Ah well.

Telekinesis and Force Field can be covered by the force control power. Pyrokinesis is the energy control power. Levitation is probably flight but might be leaping, Aura Perception is probably awareness, and Healing is the healing power. Possession is either possession or mind control depending upon how much the girl can run around while her ghost twin is making that man into a meat puppet.. That's six powers, most with a fixed cost less than 10. Clairvoyance is really difficult to do with the SPC, though you can fake it with trappings and teleport, so you'll need to talk to your GM if you insist on having this one.

So, mind control, energy control, and healing can all be Switchable for 9 power points.
          Next up, the mobility and sensory powers, which would be Switchable for about 5 power points.
          Finally you have the big one, force control. How much you want depends upon many factors, but you need the Force Field modifier, and probably want the Heavy Weapon, Area Effect, and Range modifiers, for a total +8 to the power. Having this at a really useful level (about 6 for a d12+4 Strength) brings the total to 20 power points. Depending upon your Power Level and limits, that may be too much even for Best There Is, so you can drop one level and one or two extras (and add the Limitation to keep it from being used while other powers are going) to get it down to a useful cost.

So, with a Street Fighter or higher campaign, that should work.
          I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Freemage View Post
            What's your game's tier--Four Color, Heavy Hitters?
            Four color

Comment

So, 45, Power Limit 15.

levitation, aura perception, telkinesis, possession, clairvoyance (she sees what hayden sees), medium (power to be possessed by ghosts and alike), healing, force field, pyrokynesis (can create just a campfire if it has woods and stuff to fuel it, it can increase or shut off an existing flame but it never uses it to attack).

Okay, so my advice: start with Super Sorcery, at 24 Points (using The Best There Is and a -2 Limitation: Only one power-set at a time, and only specific power-sets (so the final cost is 22 points, do-able with TBTI).

The remaining 23 points should be spent on "useful $#!^". Maybe an across-the board use of Super Attribute (4 points each for all 5, making you a base d10 Everything--still human level, but a prime specimen thereof). The last three points should go into Super Skill: Sorcery Skill +3.

Now it's just a matter of building each of the above powers as an 12-point Power-set.

Levitation is Flight if it's just personal. 12 points gets you Pace 96, probably more than the video game character, but that IS going to happen with some of these.
              Aura Perception sounds like Mind Reading (Limitation: Emotions Only -2, 3 points) + Awareness Level 2 (5 points) + Super Skill: Notice +2 + Danger Sense (Total 12 points)
              Telekinesis: Just what it says on the tin, at Level 6 unless you want it at longer range (and thus, Level 5). If you want to be able to smash tanks, you'll need to lose an additional Level to pay for Heavy Weapon.
              Clairvoyance: Heightened Sense: (Super Sense: Vision, Eagle Eyes, Spatial Sense: 4 points) + Super Skill: Notice Level 8 (8 points)
              Possession: Mind Control w/ Memory alteration +4 (9 points) OR Possession w/ Memories (10 points)
              Healing: Just what it says on the tin, with Cure +3 and Restoration +2 (10 points total)
              Force Field: Since this isn't supposed to operate simultaneously with Telekinesis, I'm disinclined to use Force Control. Rather, I'd suggest Deflection X + Armor Y, where X+Y=12. I like Armor Level 2 (Heavy: 6 points) and Deflection Level 4 (Protector +2, 6 points), but you can shift it around a bit if you like.
              Medium: Super-Skill (with 8 points to spread between Skills) and Super Edge, twice--these represent the skills and knowledge of the spirit you are channeling.

So, you have d10s across the board, and with a Sorcery roll at -2 (but +3 from Super Skill), you should be able to get Hayden to swap you over to the Power Set you need at any given moment. I'd talk to the GM about re-trapping "Sorcery" to "Medium" for the skill. This might lose the "free hands" rule for Sorcerers, which should be replaced by some other limitation--perhaps a vulnerability that can affect Hayden, or something.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
                ValhallaGH commented
                Editing a comment
                Those are good suggestions as well.

• Freemage
                Freemage commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks. I ran across the Super Sorcery approach to 'finite number of powers, but too many for Switchable" when I was doing a test-build for a Supers game. I wanted the classic variable immunity, where the character (a golem) could be immune to any particular attack form, but only one at a time. Super Sorcery with a Limitation that it could only be used to buy Level 3 Resistance (Total Immunity) did the trick fairly nicely for 22 points (as it was 4-Color, had to do Best There Is to get there). (Wound up going with a different, more varied build, but I'm keeping the Rotating Immunity build on the back-burner, since the character I went with turned out to be fairly squishy.)

I would use Freemage's suggestion but with a +3 modifier to eliminate the Backlash for non-memorized powers. Then you would only be able to have 10 point Switchables, but still super useful. After all I do not think your character would risk summoning demons when he is switching powers.

For a precedence your GM can review see this thread: http://archive.pegforum.com/viewtopi...51027&p=454085

Comment

That many switchable powers is kind of cool, but potentially wanting in their ability to contribute to a game. Still, good luck.

Comment

thank you for the suggestions, now i'll talk with the gm to see what to do.

Comment

one last rapid question.For a Darth Vader force-choke attack,Is it better to create an attack power or use grappling with telekinesis?

Comment

[I]http://archive.pegforum.com/viewtopi...16671#p416671]Force control.
                      Telekinesis can't be used for that level of fine control - the only thing you can do to a living creature is float it around. You can't grapple with it.
                      Attack, ranged with a choking trapping would also work (Trapping bypasses Armor but doesn't work on things that don't need to use an esophagus).

Comment

Working...
                      X