A horse of course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A horse of course

So as a thought experiment, and as a possible sidekick to a character I have in the back of my head I wrote up a horse as a race. Would love a review. This is primarily as a thought experiment, but I do have a (not quite) League of Liberty type character in the back of my head for it...

LONG FORM
    Horse as a race

Strong as a: Horses are strong creatures, A horse begins with a Strength of d10 and a Vigor of d6

Animal Intelligence: A horse is -1 to all smarts rolls, cannot speak human languages and begins with no Common Knowledge, Persuasion, or stealth. They also only have 10 starting Skill points

Large Animal: A Horse is Size +2 and must use specialized equipment. As it does not have hands it is at a -6 for tasks requiring fine manipulation. It also consume x2 food

Owned: Due to a Horse's problems communicating and its status as Property, a horse has the Major Outsider hinderance

Fast: A horse has a pace of 12 and a running die type of d12. This includes the Fleet-footed edge.

Kick: A horse has a natural +d4 attack, and can Stampede (use rules for horns)

---WORKSHEET---

8 Attribute: Str +3, Vigor +1
    4 Pace (2)
    2 Edge: Fleet Footed
    2 Size +2
    1 Natural Attack (Horns)
    ---

2 Base
    5 Reduce of core skills (note, modified to allow reduction of skill points in general)
    2 Attribute Penalty: Smarts (-1)
    2 Big
    1 Cannot Speak
    2 Major Hinderance (Outsider)
    3 No hands (Seemed more restrictive than one armed)
    ---
    Last edited by JmOz01; 05-01-2021, 06:20 PM.

Looks good. I have had this done in campaigns where I was the GM. It makes Animal Companions much better. There is also a pdf called Companions and Familiars that does this sort of thing and it works well in play, both short- and long-term. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...-Fantasy-AddOn

Comment

Horns add +4 to damage with a running start in addition to dealing Str+d4 damage. Without that perk, I think a kick attack should have some sort of compensation in order to cost the same. Maybe with a raise, the target must make a Strength roll or be Pushed?

Comment

• Deskepticon
        Deskepticon commented
        Editing a comment
        The +4 damage is a decent way to abstract getting trampled. I'd just leave alone.

A free Push attempt would make for a good horse-specific Edge.

• werenimal
        werenimal commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, trampling. That's a good way to justify the +4.

Originally posted by werenimal View Post
      Horns add +4 to damage with a running start in addition to dealing Str+d4 damage. Without that perk, I think a kick attack should have some sort of compensation in order to cost the same. Maybe with a raise, the target must make a Strength roll or be Pushed?
      Not a bad idea.

Comment

What is that "-2 Base" all about?

Comment

Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post
          What is that "-2 Base" all about?
          personal note, basically the first 2 points (human spend it on getting an edge)
          Last edited by JmOz01; 05-01-2021, 03:06 AM.

Comment

• Deskepticon
            Deskepticon commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, okay. I see.
            It threw me off. Without it the race would balance at +2, so I kinda scratched my head over it.

• JmOz01
            JmOz01 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yah, as someone who teaches accounting I tend to "balance" via a 2 column method so need to put in a note to make things even...

going back to this idea some. Looking at the hinderances, I am wondering if there is anything better for a couple (I would like them to start with Athletics & Notice, so +2) and for my own weird reasons bring the no hands to a -2 instead, so looking for 4 more hinderance points I guess...

Comment

Working...
          X