Encumbrance for the weak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encumbrance for the weak

If a character has a strength penalty (from race), does this effect the weight carried for encumbrance?

I don't think it officially does, but I've been treating it that way for my SpongeBob homebrew setting.

Comment

In SWADE?
      Not officially, but some settings do say to reduce carry limit by 10 lbs for each -1. It's a weighted rule (pun intended ) since it effects the armored-up melee fighter more than the range-based lightfoot. Considering that Savage Worlds generally ignores Encumbrace unless dramatically appropriate, it's probably not worth the effort. However, some genres, like survival horror, can really benefit from this addition. It all depends on what themes you're striving for.

Comment

I've ignored encumbrance in every game I've played (as player or ref) for the last 30 years. Unless it's incredibly, and dramatically, important it's just a pointless thing in a game.
        Like what you have read in someone's post? Hit that like button and let everyone know.

I run Deadlands Reloaded. One of my players writes an incharacter blog here --> http://ballgownsandbattleskirts.blog...deadlands.html

Comment

Yeah, then I played in a game where one player declared that he was carrying 4 wineskins, which by the encumbrance rules was possible, but also according to the rules were 2 quarts each. We tried to explain why he couldn't do that by saying "try tying 4 2-liter bottles of soda to your arms and legs, and see how easy it is to walk". Those encumbrance rules were broken.
          Savage Summaries-RAW, with added info from Clint:Combat Actions,Cover,Healing,Using Powers,Grappling,Chases (all SWD)
          Also:Persuasion (SWADE),Better Bosses (SWADE),Better Combat Rating (system independent)
          And:historical tech levels,generic SW sci-fi tech levels (both system indepdent)

Comment

Originally posted by ZenFox42 View Post
            Yeah, then I played in a game where one player declared that he was carrying 4 wineskins, which by the encumbrance rules was possible, but also according to the rules were 2 quarts each. We tried to explain why he couldn't do that by saying "try tying 4 2-liter bottles of soda to your arms and legs, and see how easy it is to walk". Those encumbrance rules were broken.
            Did the character have a backpack?
            I always assume an "adventurer's pack" is equivalent to a modern hiker's backpack, with a rigid sketeton designed to help distribute weight. Numerous buckles and external straps means the pack can technically carry more than whatever can fit inside.

Comment

In favor of fun, I wouldn't worry much about encumbrance. But ... I don't agree that encumbrance is "pointless". It's an important mechanic that should be paid attention to and not abused.

Comment

I use it when dramatically appropriate. A trek through the jungle where limited supplies is an issue Encumbrance is used. Most of the time, don't worry about it.

Comment

Encumbrance is often good for balancing so that not everyone runs around in plate mail. I do use simplified rules for it though.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
                    ValhallaGH commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The Min Str rules handle that now, in my experience. That -1 per step to all Strength, Agility, and linked Skills is brutal; especially if a setting rule applies it to Arcane Skills, too.

This is another case of where I’m spoiled from using Fantasy Grounds for over 12 years. It auto-calculates Encumbrance and auto-applies any penalties.

Comment

Working...
                  X