X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Shape Change question

A character transforms into a horse
    Another character rides the first character

Does the rider need to make riding rolls? Should there be a bonus (we're assuming it is a willing partnership)

Originally posted by JmOz01 View Post
    Does the rider need to make riding rolls?
    Only if the situation requires Riding rolls.
    Generally, Riding is required for one of two reasons. 1) To communicate directions and guidance to the animal (generally non-verbally with applied pressure and/or pulling) or 2) to not fall off the animal.

In the first case, the human-intelligent mount can be expected to understand verbal commands and even the goals of the journey. So, a Riding roll would only be necessary when communicating non-verbally or in disagreement with the mount.
    In the second case, the intelligent mount could use an action (possibly at multiple action penalty, depending upon circumstances) to Support the rider's roll to stay mounted or perform well in a Chase.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
      Only if the situation requires Riding rolls.
      Generally, Riding is required for one of two reasons. 1) To communicate directions and guidance to the animal (generally non-verbally with applied pressure and/or pulling) or 2) to not fall off the animal.

In the first case, the human-intelligent mount can be expected to understand verbal commands and even the goals of the journey. So, a Riding roll would only be necessary when communicating non-verbally or in disagreement with the mount.
      In the second case, the intelligent mount could use an action (possibly at multiple action penalty, depending upon circumstances) to Support the rider's roll to stay mounted or perform well in a Chase.
      I had not thought of a support roll, that makes PERFECT sense (probably athletics) ....
      Last edited by JmOz01; 04-12-2021, 06:07 PM.

Comment

The rider could just hold on and let the human-intelligent horse take him/her along for the ride. No roll needed.

Comment

• JmOz01
          JmOz01 commented
          Editing a comment
          paladin2019 I actually have not...thus a certain level of ignorance on my part...I like the idea of a support roll based on athletics (So rider rolls riding, the horse rolls athletics)

• SteelDraco
          SteelDraco commented
          Editing a comment
          I've ridden a horse and I agree with SeeleyOne and ValhallaGH. Riding rolls would only be required in difficult/unusual situations like if you get hit while riding or trying to stay on while the horse does difficult maneuvers.

Presumably a shapeshifted person wouldn't have a saddle on, which makes things more difficult. I don't recall if the assumption in SWADE is that the default is bareback with a saddle giving a bonus or if the default is a saddle with a penalty for bareback, but the saddle is WAY easier.

Still, just going from Point A to Point B? I wouldn't require a Riding roll, just like I wouldn't require a Driving roll to go to the corner store and back. Only roll in dramatic and interesting situations. A Riding roll to just move around is just a way for the GM to say "Ha ha, you fell off" but it doesn't do anything to enhance the story. I'd skip it.

• JmOz01
          JmOz01 commented
          Editing a comment
          I know I did not say it, however yes, defiantly only roll when it matters (such as racing at top speed, combat, etc...)
      Working...
      X