Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attaching vehicular weapons [SFC and Rifts] to super-suits created with the SPC2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching vehicular weapons [SFC and Rifts] to super-suits created with the SPC2?

So I picked up my copy of the Rifts player guide a little while back, and a lot of the content there seemed to borrow a lot of its power scale from SPC2 (or at least, it keeps them on roughly the same level). Stuff like Mega powers are things you can mostly achieve with SPC2 powers, many armors and equipment (including cybernetics) are also pretty closely related to SPC2 powers, and from what I understand a lot of the races and Iconic Frameworks are constructed using power values from the SPC2.

So my main question: how would you guys handle a rich hero attempting to strap on something like, say, a minigun (1 vehicular Mod Slot, SFC) or a set of mini-missile launchers (1 vehicular Mod Slot, Rifts) to his SPC2-constructed armor? What about other equipment, like radios or power armor HUDs? Would you let them apply the Close Combat Weapon Mods (molecular blade, power weapon, etc)? Or would you require all of this stuff to be built with PP? For something like the mini-missile, it would take between 12 to 16 PP depending on how lenient your GM is on pricing powers like that, but that also doesn't take into account the limited ammunition and cost of replacing it.

Off the top of my head, the first thing that comes to mind is simply allowing 1 PP to buy 1 Mod Slot, while still requiring the hero to purchase the weapons/ammunition with their own funds (which becomes more or less expensive depending on the setting), and typically requiring Rich, Filthy Rich, or Geared Up to fully take advantage of these weapons. I might also restrict that for vehicular weapons, these Mod Slots cannot be greater than the Sizeof the hero himself, and possibly include a Modifier (+1 or +2) that allows slightly "larger" weapons (maximum of Size + 1, Size + 2, etc). This falls in line with the Cybernetic rules from Rifts and the Power Armor Weapon Mount modifier from the SFC.

Any thoughts or ideas? Nothing immediately strikes me as broken with this, between the cost of acquisition, maintenance, and ammunition, but I would love some feedback on the idea.
    Last edited by DoctorBoson; 11-20-2017, 08:45 PM.
    Join the Unofficial Savage Worlds Discord! Check out Expanded Wealth!

My thoughts, musings, and general character adaptations on Savage Everything.

Originally posted by DoctorBoson View Post
    So I picked up my copy of the Rifts player guide a little while back, and a lot of the content there seemed to borrow a lot of its power scale from SPC2 (or at least, it keeps them on roughly the same level). Stuff like Mega powers are things you can mostly achieve with SPC2 powers, many armors and equipment (including cybernetics) are also pretty closely related to SPC2 powers, and from what I understand a lot of the races and Iconic Frameworks are constructed using power values from the SPC2.
    Not as much as you imply. The tech is mostly from the SFC, tweaked to match the standards and practices of an established setting, which is okay with me.
    Iconic Frameworks have some overlap with the SPC, but they have a lot of divergence, unique abilities, and quirky variations of the core rules.

So my main question: how would you guys handle a rich hero attempting to strap on something like, say, a minigun (1 vehicular Mod Slot, SFC) or a set of mini-missile launchers (1 vehicular Mod Slot, Rifts) to his power armor? What about other equipment, like radios or power armor HUDs? Would you let them apply the Close Combat Weapon Mods (molecular blade, power weapon, etc)? Or would you require all of this stuff to be built with PP? For something like the mini-missile, it would take between 12 to 16 PP depending on how lenient your GM is on pricing powers like that, but that also doesn't take into account the limited ammunition and cost of replacing it.
    I'd start with the guidelines already in the TLPG (page 90-91). "[T]hose wishing to customize their power armor or robot armor can simply substitute weapons, Mod for Mod (and those using the Science Fiction Companion can also make use of the options listed there)."
    Want to bolt a Mod 1 gun onto your power armor? Have to pull off a Mod 1 gun, first.
    Given the standard features of power armor (page 81), the only reason to attach a HUD is because your old one broke - which is just repairing an existing system. Same for integrated radios, though I can see wanting to drag around a man-pack to communicate with a specific group or on a specific encrypted frequency. Still, none of that requires modifying the armor.
    Want to bolt on personal weapons? That's a GM call, though I'd treat it like they were Mod 1 weapons (much the same way Cybernetics treat them; page 103).

Given that characters don't have SPC style power points, trying to use those to balance things is simply adding two layers of complication to a system that doesn't need it.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• DoctorBoson
      DoctorBoson commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, sorry, I was referring to mounting these weapons onto devices bought with SPC2 power points, like armor with flight or invisibility capabilities, not actual Rifts Power Armor!

My SPC2 breakdowns of the Iconic Frameworks can be found here. I used them to design a Super Framework, for characters that needed to be done with the SPC.
    I was quite satisfied with the results.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Based on the rules listed in the SFC and Rifts for power armor mounts, as well as for mounting weapons via cybernertics, and came up with this as a new power and modifiers:

Equipment Mounts (2/Level)
      Trappings: Built-in weapon systems, power armor attachments, bio-synthetic integration.

Through ingenuity or just dumb luck, the hero has access to weapons built into him or his devices. While this power is cheap in terms of Power Points, characters must also spend the money to purchase these weapons (or work to acquire them otherwise, possibly illegally), as well as the ammunition to use with it—the Rich, Filthy Rich, and Geared Up Edges (the latter from the Science Fiction Companion) may come in handy for that. Weapons must still be reloaded and retain any Snapfire or Autofire penalties.

Every Level of this ability allows the hero to mount one personal weapon that weighs 100 lbs or less, or a vehicular weapon with a Mod value equal to or less than the character’s Size. The weapons are fixed to the character and cannot be disarmed without breaking it. Using any weapon is still an action— and using multiple weapons still incurs a multi-action penalty. The weapons available to use with this power are up to the GM and the individual setting, though the Science Fiction Companion, the Rifts Tomorrow Legion Player’s Guide, and Interface Zero 2.0 are good resources.

Once installed, these weapons may be swapped out with a Repair roll at –2 and some time: one day to remove and mount a new personal weapon, or one day of work per Mod for vehicular weapons to either remove or mount a new one (e.g. a 2 Mod weapon takes 2 days to remove, and an additional 2 days to mount a new 2 Mod weapon). A failure on this roll destroys the original weapon.

Modifiers:
      • Miniaturization (+2/+4): For 2 Power Points, every Level of this power can hold either a personal weapon up to 100 lbs or a vehicular weapon with a Mod cost of the character’s Size + 1 (i.e. Size 0 characters may carry a 1 Mod vehicular weapon). For 4 Power Points, vehicular mods may have a Mod cost up to the character’s Size + 2. Either way, every Level of this power can hold one point of Mods (so a 2 Mod weapon requires at least 2 Levels in this power and the character must be large enough to handle the weapon).
      • Modular (+2): Characters may exchange mounted weapons in an hour without making a roll.
      • Reloader (Variable): For every Power Point in this mod, one weapon may use an additional “load” (magazine, reload, etc) before requiring manual reloading. Ammunition must still be acquired separately and loaded manually (2 actions per “load”).
      This allows characters to mount setting-appropriate weaponry of appropriate sizes to themselves or their equipment, including all of the downsides that come with those weapons, rather than spending an inordinate amount of power points to achieve the same basic capabilities with none of the desired drawbacks of actually having weapons mounted to their person. Any thoughts or price changes that might be worth considering?
      Last edited by DoctorBoson; 11-21-2017, 10:29 PM.

Comment

I'm going to call the proposed rule busted for a supers campaign. Vehicular weapons are prohibitively expensive to the point of never being able to purchase them (it's $50K for a light auto-cannon.) There's just no point in allowing that modifier unless it's a high money campaign where the cash flows like water. And regardless of whether the weapon is hand or vehicular, because they're purchased gear they're not considered integral to the suit or otherwise part of the super's powerset. If anything happens to the weapon or suit of armor, then the item is gone and must be purchased again. Conversely, if you "buy" the weapon with power points then you're guaranteed to get it back.

And if you did have the cash flow to adequately allow players to regularly purchase these weapons, it throws off anything resembling encounter balance. Going back to the light auto-cannon example, the closest approximate superpower costs 14 points. A small cannon is 18 power points and costs $400K. I shudder to think of what this might look like in play.

Comment

The thing is, this is stuff that can already be acquired through play in a Rifts campaign through either cybernetics or attachment to a set of power armor. While the option is available for vehicular weapons, it’s primarily in place for either rich characters or characters who strap lots of normal weapons to their super-suits, a la War Machine, who’s biggest gun is a minigun and maybe a few grenade launchers, and a bunch of assault rifles/SMGs.

I could bump the price up to 2/Level though, which limits the overall amount of mounts available.

Comment

Then perhaps a more apt question: why use the SPC2 to build a power armor when they're already readily available?

Comment

Because power armor from Rifts and the SFC is extremely limited in its scope—it's meant to build stuff like space marines and similar "commando special forces" from science fiction (or in the case of Rifts, it's a ubiquitous resource that the all the good big bads have access to)—but power armor in a supers setting is not limited in its scope or capability aside from the setting's Power Level. There is precedent set for both hard/dark/high sci-fi power armors to mount weapons on them, and for power armor in Supers settings to do the same, where typically the distinction between "I mounted a gun on me" and "I have a ranged attack power" is the fact that the gun-toter has to actually deal with ammunition or bulk.

It just feels weird that a "gritty" science fiction power armor can mount good big weapon (and a non-gritty sci-fi Rifts power armor can mount tons of them) but a superhero/villain barely even throw together a single-shot per fight missile launcher for less than 12 PP, much less a barrage from something like this or this for less than 20 PP—if they can, they likely don't have much PP available for doing anything else other than lots of guns, even at higher power levels. Even an approximation of an SMG (admittedly sans the autofire penalty) costs something like 5PP if you try and include ammunition for it.

Even if it isn't a power, I want there to be something in place that allows characters to be able to mount/attach either personal or vehicular weapons to them, should they be so inclined—it feels like an odd thing to be unable to achieve if a character or party has the resources for it.
              Last edited by DoctorBoson; 11-21-2017, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Because power armor from Rifts ... is extremely limited in its scope
                That is a surprisingly false premise.
                I say surprisingly because my initial reaction was to agree with the statement, and then I looked at the power armors in Savage Rifts.

Flying Titan - basically Iron Man's standard suit; mighty armor, jet fighter flight, super-human strength, two energy weapons, two missile launcher pods, and a relatively small size.
                Samson - super-leaping, super-strength, super-running, super tough power armor with mighty punches and a really big gun. Basically Hulk Buster armor.
                Grease Monkey - mighty armor, minor flight, mighty strength, advanced tools that let it fix most anything, and short range cutting laser. A utility suit for engineers and support personnel.
                Super Trooper - small and sleek, tough armor, super-human strength, super-leaping, and a ton of weapons. Basically War Machine without the flight system.
                Predator - strength that exceeds dragons, jet fighter flight, two missile launcher pods, a powerful laser weapon, very tough armor, and no down sides.

On top of all that, they've all got great communications, sensors, environment protection, and targeting systems.

Seriously, except for the Grease Monkey, you can easily find all of those filling the exact same roles as a supers power armor, and doing it just as well as supers rules would.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
                  Flying Titan - basically Iron Man's standard suit; mighty armor, jet fighter flight, super-human strength, two energy weapons, two missile launcher pods, and a relatively small size.
                  Samson - super-leaping, super-strength, super-running, super tough power armor with mighty punches and a really big gun. Basically Hulk Buster armor.
                  Grease Monkey - mighty armor, minor flight, mighty strength, advanced tools that let it fix most anything, and short range cutting laser. A utility suit for engineers and support personnel.
                  Super Trooper - small and sleek, tough armor, super-human strength, super-leaping, and a ton of weapons. Basically War Machine without the flight system.
                  Predator - strength that exceeds dragons, jet fighter flight, two missile launcher pods, a powerful laser weapon, very tough armor, and no down sides.

On top of all that, they've all got great communications, sensors, environment protection, and targeting systems.

Seriously, except for the Grease Monkey, you can easily find all of those filling the exact same roles as a supers power armor, and doing it just as well as supers rules would.
                  While not wrong, it's also a bit disingenuous. Yes, Rifts armor fills a few niches in terms of capabilities, but the scope of power is still absolutely limited. While the armors are able to cover the conceptual bases, they are way lower in the power department, with the exception of firepower. For example, Predators certainly don't have jet fighter flight (they couldn't even outfly or outmaneuver a Fokker Dr.I, which moves at nearly double the speed of any of these power armors. Flying Titan has superhuman strength, but only just. In fact, that Strength is likely lower than Captain America (per Age of Ultron, where he throws an 800 lb motorcycle—requiring a Strength of d12+3 to pull off even with Brawny).

The Flying Titan (because it's the easiest to work with) could be approximated, sans weapons, with between 22–26 points, depending on how they were built. With weapons, their lasers, treated as a singular system, could be approximated in 12 PP (there's no way to replicate Dual-Linked systems, which is also something I'd like to be able to do with super powers), and their mini missiles, at best, 16 PP (if they're treated as 2 separate weapon systems with shared ammunition—26 PP if they're treated as two separate systems). So this suit comes out anywhere between 50 and 64 PP—and the only suit cheaper than this is the Samson.

An initial guess as to the cost of something like Super Trooper comes out to 20–24 points for the base suit and an additional 20 PP for just one of the four rocket launchers it carries—up to 29 if you treat the rest as a single system with 4 RoF, and far more than is affordable if you treat them as separate systems. Then you toss in the lasers, vibrosword, and the Maysies for an additional 18 points, and a conservative estimate comes out to around 58–62 PP for the armor with one RoF 1 rocket launcher (65–69 for a RoF 4 and 78–82 for two separate launchers).

At best, using PP to build all their weaponry, these suits probably shouldn't be topping Four Color heroes, but they do with one of the cheapest models available and the costs just go up from there because (per the SPC2) stuff like ammunition and the limitations of conventional weapons aren't something that is considered. And, of course, these suits are regular occurrences within Rifts, used by standard and elite military units—a small squad of even Super Troopers are hardly something I would consider as a front-line defense against invading aliens or other threats against the universe or reality itself. As you've pointed out, a Rifts super should probably work out to around 45–55 PP (roughly equal to, if not more powerful than, a single one of these average power armors; maybe even more on-par with Robot Armors instead)—Heavy Hitter or Cosmic SPC2 characters should probably be able to outperform just a single Super Trooper suit and then some.

Comment

Other than the game economy issue that was brought up, I don't see anything wrong with this. Assuming the player can buy the weapon, they should be able to use it. Paying a few PP to gain some extra functionality from the weapon (hands free, no MAP, etc.) sounds like a good idea. The write-up looks sound and fairly balanced.

The only thing I want to point out is that since the mounts are bought with PP, anything that robs the character of their powers is going to render the guns momentarily obsolete. To use it, the character would need to remove the weapon, at which point they'd be able to fire it manually.

The economy issue is a valid one however. Typically, supers games (and comics, movies, etc.) handwave a character's source of income, relegating it to the background if it's mentioned at all. Rather than having the character purchase the weapon with currency, perhaps you can devise some sort of system were they build the weapon themself?

Comment

• DoctorBoson
                      DoctorBoson commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Actually, the initial idea was the keep multi-action penalties (though a modifier to remove them for certain weapons would probably work quite well), but the idea was to a) make these weapons part of the character's power identity (a la War Machine, who cannot use any of his guns without having his whole suit handy), and b) allow characters access to more powerful weapons with far more limited usage (and cheaper in PP cost) than is normally available through the usual SPC2 rules. For example, if a character wanted a Small Cannon from the SPC2, they could pick it up with a couple purchases of the Miniaturization mod, 2 levels of the power, and $400K (roughly 7 PP to actually mount it on a suit of armor). Building this cannon in the SPC2 would cost around 17 PP but the character would have the additional benefits of not having to worry about the weight (300 lbs for a full load of ammo alone, requiring super strength of at least d12+3 or going into battle with far more limited capacity), or the actual ammunition left for the gun or the cost of replacing it (infinite shots), as well as an additional Snapfire penalty. That also doesn't account to the vulnerability to malfunctions, metal controllers, and other attributes that are inherent to the weapon itself.

While my numbers may still need tweaking for PP balance, part of that balance comes from being able to restrict the weapon's usage in a variety of situations, and that for larger firepower, you have a severely limited number of uses, so the weapon becomes far more of a "last resort" kind of ability.

Okay, so what is the purpose here, in terms of functionality? Are you looking to be able to build a suit of armor that you can then strap multiple weapons on? What's the advantage of that, rather than carrying them? Deskepticon mentions hands-free/no MAP, is that the idea here? I want to get the core of the mechanical effect, because I really think there's a more straightforward solution.

Comment

It just feels weird that a "gritty" science fiction power armor can mount good big weapon (and a non-gritty sci-fi Rifts power armor can mount tons of them) but a superhero/villain barely even throw together a single-shot per fight missile launcher for less than 12 PP, much less a barrage from something like this or this for less than 20 PP—if they can, they likely don't have much PP available for doing anything else other than lots of guns, even at higher power levels. Even an approximation of an SMG (admittedly sans the autofire penalty) costs something like 5PP if you try and include ammunition for it.
                      Rifts is its own crazy, "dialed up to 11" thing that really shouldn't be compared to anything else. But if you want to compare a Four Color superhero or villain to the stock power armor in the SFC, supers outpaces them consistently.

Comment

While not wrong, it's also a bit disingenuous. Yes, Rifts armor fills a few niches in terms of capabilities, but the scope of power is still absolutely limited. While the armors are able to cover the conceptual bases, they are way lower in the power department, with the exception of firepower.
                        ... So your problem is that Rifts power armor isn't game breaking enough?

Basic Armor functions
                        In addition to Full Environment Protection (see Body Armor, previously), power armor also provides advanced communications (20-mile range; 500 miles with access to a dedicated relay system); a full sensor suite with HUD (Heads Up Display) readouts, granting +2 on all Notice checks and incorporating 360 degree radar, thermal imaging, and night vision; optics enhancement with 50×magnification and audio pickups that can catch whispers at 100 yards; and onboard combat computers and targeting systems that offset up to −2 Shooting penalties and can be calibrated to prevent friendly fire.
                        SPC2 powers [12]
                        Resistance 5 (3): Air, Cold, Fire/Heat, Pressure, Radiation; Limitation (environmental effects only), Device (worn). sealed armor suit.
                        Doesn't Breathe (1): Device (worn). sealed armor suit.
                        Broadcast (1): One Channel, Range, Device. advanced radio system with piggy-back capacity.
                        Awareness (2): Device. 360 degree radar.
                        Heightened Senses 5 (4): Eagle Eyes, Infravision, Low Light Vision, Super Sense (vision), Super Sense (hearing), Device. advanced optic and auditory sensors.
                        Super Skill 2 (1): Shooting, Limitation (negate penalties), Device. advanced targeting system.
                        That's 12 Power Points for the basic package of sensors, communications, and life support.

The defensive systems will be fairly cheap. You're looking at one to three levels of Growth with Monster and Device (1, 4, or 6 Power Points), with Toughness to round off the guaranteed protection (+2 or +3), and four to six levels of Armor with Heavy Armor and Device (7 to 9 Power Points).
                        So, protection is 10 Power Points (flying titan, grease monkey, super trooper), 13 Power Points (predator), or 15 Power Points (sampson).
                        22 to 27 points, total.

Next, I'll tackle the Strength systems. These are a bit trickier since they set the character's Strength Attribute while operating the armor; still, they work the same for a character with a natural d4 Strength or a d12 Strength. I'm going to call that a Minor Limitation for cost purposes, but you could call it a Major Limitation if you wanted to. Armor Strength ranges from d12+1 (grease monkey) to d12+6 (predator). That's a range of five to ten levels of Super Strength, though Growth covers some of that. And they'll all have a Device limitation, obviously.
                        Grease Monkey - Four Levels, 6 Power Points.
                        Flying Titan - Five Levels, 8 Power Points.
                        Super Trooper - Five Levels, 8 Power Points.
                        Sampson - Five Levels, 8 Power Points.
                        Predator - Eight Levels, 14 Power Points.
                        28 to 39 points, total.

Last up are mobility systems. These include Speed or Super Edge for Pace increases, Leaping, Flight, and Aquatic. Since these all come from a Device, most of them are going to be much cheaper. But flying is going to be the expensive one.
                        Predator - Flight x4, replacing the attack penalty with +1 Climb, for 7 Power Points, plus a Fleet Footed edge for 1 Power Point. Total 47 Power Points without guns.
                        Sampson - Leaping 3-ish, for 2 Power Points, plus Speed 2 for a Pace 12 but being able to Run 2d10 is an extra probably worth +2, for 3 Power Points. Total 40 Power Points without weapons.
                        Flying Titan - a Fleet Footed edge for 1 Power Point and Pace 8, plus Flight x4 with Climb and a one point discount for the missing defensive ability for 7 Power Points. Total 38 Power Points without the guns.
                        ... I am tired and don't want to do the rest, so I'm stopping here.

My point is that Rifts Power Armors are as good as any SPC player-made power armor I've seen. They may not have some weird Energy Control, Force Control, or Poison powers, but they are very good.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
                          ... So your problem is that Rifts power armor isn't game breaking enough?
                          That wasn't quite what I'd meant, I more meant that if someone wanted a power armor suit that didn't do those things, the SPC2 should be able to pick up the slack. The power armors in Rifts are very good. But to clarify: this is not intended specifically for use in a Rifts game. I simply want to extend the ability of Rifts and SFC power armors to mount weaponry to SPC2 characters. While this would work well in a Rifts game due to Mod Slots and vehicular weaponry already being available, I would want this as a more-or-less universal ability for supers games.

And, to that end, your math is proving my point—I didn't even know the Rifts power armors had that much extra stuff attached to them by default. The Rifts power armors are very good: on par or better than Four Color heroes. What I'm saying is that Four Color superheroes should be able to match or exceed these mass-produced power armors. Not that the Rifts armors are too weak, but that an armored superhero should be able to beat them in combat more often than not. The Samson is one of the weakest (and cheapest) power armors in Rifts—between your estimate of a 40 PP base and at least 3 PP for the melee attack, 15–17 PP for the rail gun (which still only has half the range and 4 less damage), and at least 10 PP for a single mini-missile launcher, that puts the cheapest Rifts power armor at 68 Power Points to be built with the SPC2. A "Heavy Hitter" and the "first line of defense against world conquerors, invading aliens, natural disasters, or armies of hell." That doesn't at all sound like what these armors were designed for.

I want the stress this because I feel like you're getting the wrong message from my replies: this is not saying that Rifts power armor is too weak, far from it. This is not a failing of Rifts power armor to perform—this is a failing of the SPC2 to keep up with that performance. It would take a Heavy Hitter with Super Karma to have both the utility and the firepower of a standard-issue Rifts power armor suit, something that plenty of Coalition mooks would be granted to fight with. If a Four Color hero wanted to be able to have a super suit of similar caliber as the Samson, they would lose most of their Power Points to the base capabilities of the armor: maybe one weapon could be added afterwards but it would still be strictly inferior to the mass-produced and mounted weapon of the actual Samson. My proposal is to allow an SPC2-built character to mount the same kinds of weapons that the Samson, the Flying Titan, and the Predator already have access to, which allows a more even playing field for those characters.

Not only does that make your super feel "super" in such a dreary world, but it allows them access to firepower more in-line with the Glitter Boy, the Burster, or the Dragon Hatchling while allowing the same kind of flexibility that makes supers fun. Your character can shoot lasers out of their eyes or create micro-black holes that are decimating to the enemy and cannot be confiscated from them (though expensive in Power Points), or they can opt to find/buy/steal existing weaponry and mount it onto their person or onto their custom, unique, and finely-tuned power armor and either match or be superior to standard special forces power armor that the enemy has a nearly endless supply of.

Again, to clarify, I am not saying Rifts power armors are weak. I'm saying that I feel like a 4-Color hero should be able to replicate their capabilities, including their weaponry, if they wished. I feel like a super-genius that invented and personally built a powerful super-armor suit would be smart enough to figure out how to mount a few enemy weapons to it.

Comment

Working...
                          X