A couple of Chase House Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of Chase House Rules

So we have been running a lot of Chases and I really like the system provided in the book, but I have been using the following amendments and figured I would like to share them.

Amendment 1: If your Pace is more than twice the Pace of your slowest Opponent using Change Position grants an additional card of movement.

Amendment 2: If your Pace/MPH is less than 66% of the Team, or if you have Slow, or reduce pace you suffer a -2 to Change Position.

Amendment 3: The Range Increments of the Cards will not use the measurements shown on page 114. I adjust it individually to each Chase, normally equal to the medium range of the participants. (This is actually RAW, but I rarely see it changed in chases others run.)
    Last edited by Ndreare; 11-20-2020, 03:13 PM.

Interesting.
    Amendment 1: So, not only does the character get a +2 to Change Position (a near-guaranteed success), a basic success is equal to another character's raise and the speedster's raise is unmatched. That seems too good. Fast characters (say a Fleet Footed character in a chase where one opponent is Slow or has to deal with Difficult Terrain) can move about willy-nilly, only failing to Change Position due to Critical Failure or Fatigue (Wounds reduce Pace, making them irrelevant to this example).

Amendment 2: Wow. Why not just kick them out for failing to meet the Minimum Speed? It would waste less time.
    Combined with Amendment 1, you've all but removed maneuvering skill from chases - speed is the most important thing. Having Athletics d12 and Slow makes the character less effective than normal Pace and Athletics d4 (with that sweet +1 for being faster). Speed and weapon range are the only things that matter.

Amendment 3: No comment required.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Kinda agree with ValhallaGH. Chases are not olympic races where speed is the only factor. (In those cases, the fastest one wins. In case of a tie, everyone rolls Athletics and the highest one wins by a fraction of a second).

In foot chases, you have bystanders, food carts, trees and other obstacles and shenanigans. In car chases, you have traffic lights, pedestrians, police cars.

Maneuvrability (represented by stuff like the skill die step or Edge bonuses) is just as important and speed is already factored in the +2 bonus to skill rolls. I wouldn't make it even more useful than it already is.

If the speed difference is very high (race car vs human for example), it shouldn't be a chase either and the situation should only be resolved before the fast one get the chance to get away. ''He's in the car. you have only one shot to shoot his tire before he's too far''

Comment

Originally posted by Ndreare View Post
        Amendment 1: If your Pace is more than twice the Pace of your slowest Opponent using Change Position grants an additional card of movement.

Amendment 2: If your Pace/MPH is less than 66% of the Team, or if you have Slow, or reduce pace you suffer a -2 to Change Position.
        While it's not stated, my gut feeling is these rules would *replace* the modifiers for Speed in the Chase system, not be used in addition to them. Could be wrong though.

My main point of confusion is in #2 where it says "66% of *the Team." I don't know what "the Team" is.

It may mean only if you're slower than your allies that you suffer the penalty.

Or mean if you're slower than the entire group of opponents.

Or maybe something else, I'm just not sure.
        Clint Black
        Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
        Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

• Ndreare
          Ndreare commented
          Editing a comment
          I was applying it to being slower than your own allies.

However, I have not been using the speed modifier in chases, because few of them reach those speeds.

But we have scenarios where slow (Place 5, Running d4) characters are running along side Average or Fleet Footed characters, and though they may have the same Athletics die, I found I wanted a way to show the advantage the Fleet Footed characters should have.

I share some of the concerns mentioned above. I think this would make Pace more important than a good Athletics skill. And it seems like Slow characters would be effectively useless in a Chase, since they'd have a very hard time keeping up. Without very lucky rolls, the best option is to Drop Out and not waste everyone else's time... and that's not fun for the player.

Rather than extra Cards or a maneuvering roll penalty, what about changing the relative Range Increment?
        So in a footchase, where the Increment is usually 5", a Fleet-Footed character might treat each Chase Card as 3" instead. This would mean ranged attacks are more effective for him, but the overall balance /mechanics of the rules aren't effected (such as when Bumps occur).

Likewise, Slow characters might treat each increment as 6" for Minor and 8" for Major. This would mean "in reality" the Slow character is further behind everyone else on the same Chase Card, but gamewise they have most of the same options available to them (keeping them in the action).

Comment

I don't understand why #1 allows you to pull away from everyone else involved in a chase just because you are faster than the slowest pursuer.

Comment

Working...
          X