Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plot Point Campaigns: https://www.peginc.com/plot-points/
    Good article, worth reading.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Caleban View Post
      When your talking about a plot isnt that something each and every adventure includes? A plot, is there a single plot I should be demonstrating in what is the equivalent of the back of the first page or two of the players book? This is just meant to be a taste of the setting not include all the places, locations, plots etc. Thats more in the main setting overview which would be much more detailed in the book.
      You're right in that the plot is revealed over the course of the campaign, but I was referring to a general overview of things. I certainly don't expect you to give a point by point rundown of how each session will play out. This is where the elevator pitch comes in. It gives everyone an idea of what to expect without spoiling all the details. Here's a couple examples I could infer from what you've provided so far:

The mysterious Bahl'nor decimated the human population and crippled interstellar progress for decades to come before vanishing abruptly. Power vacuums within the human governing body were filled by less-than-beneficent types, and slave labor now bears the brunt of the reconstruction effort. But when one team finds a mostly intact Bahl'nor ship, the fate of humanity will change forever.

or

A secret directive within S.A.In.T., humanity's intersteller law enforcement agency, uses the worst of its prisoners as expendable agents. Lured by the promise of reduced sentences, these criminals perform clandestine missions of dubious, often dangerous, purposes. But when the Syndicate becomes the next target, one squad will find themselves embroiled in a conflict they may not survive.

These examples are very sparse in detail, but give an idea of how the plot will unfold. A fleshed out world is nice, and in fact essential to drive a story forward, but I'm unclear on what that story actually is.

Comment

So I think the thing your saying is a short exposition that covers the major details of about a page would work. Then the little short story could follow as an example of the flavor so to speak. That way even the short story or excerpt isnt expected to cover everything. One day Ill eventually find a way to write this that seems to convey the story as I want and does the job of a good elevator pitch.

Comment

The war between the Caelum and the Bahl’Nor took humanity by surprise almost a century ago. The ancient races had long slumbered in hyperspace hidden as the younger races grew and spread across the galaxy. Awakened by a human scouting ship, the first race to make their presence known was the Bahl’Nor. From deep inside hyperspace the Bahl’Nor brought forth their mighty fleets and attacked savagely any and all who did not surrender immediately. Worlds quickly fell under their power until the Caelum arrived and helped the younger races push the Bahl’Nor back. The war did not end quickly as the enemy had seemingly limitless resources stored away with which to fight. The Caelum seemed able to withstand the Bahl’Nor attacks more easily, but they had limited resources. The Caelum realized they would never turn the battle without helping their new allies gain greater technology. They shared the secrets of nanotechnology and psionics allowing the embattled armies to strike back harder than they had ever before. With the new technology, the allies were able to take the battle into the depths of hyperspace and finally shatter the primary source of the Bahl’Nors military might. The war was over, but the galaxy would not be the same.
          The destruction was vast and left the once mighty empires of the known galaxy in shambles. The Star Systems Alliance, The Ror’Geth, and the Xek all had lost much now each of the great powers that once ruled dozens of star systems retreated to their home worlds and the few systems they could defend with their battered fleets. Rebuilding would take time and great effort, and there was little if any energy left for colonization and expansion now.
          Over two decades later the Star Systems Alliance has finally begun to reach out and look beyond its borders again. The navy has started to patrol greater ranges of space and the S.A.In.T units travel to planets trying to maintain law and order. These efforts have helped stabilize the inner worlds and some of the worlds not far from them. Now that the inner systems have started to reach out to the frontier the results of their absence stand out starkly against the condition of the home world.
          With no real power behind the colonial governments left to fend for themselves in the outer territories, the Syndicate has risen to power and now controls most of the outer rim. The colonial governments are in charge in name only. The Syndicate is careful not to be completely overt in its control less the Star Systems Alliance be forced to admit the problem it mostly ignores for now. Life is dangerous on the rim with few opportunities to make an honest living outside of mining or shipping most who want to survive end up working for the Syndicate. Those who do so are called Synners, these men and women seek to survive the harsh reality of life on the edge by joining the system rather than fighting it. Gaining favor with these factions is as much a form of currency as credits are on the rim.
          The core worlds need raw resources and they want stability so the Redeemers were started under the Sector Agent Intergalactic Taskforce or S.A.In.T for short. They give convicts a choice stay in prison and finish out your sentence or join the Redeemers as colonial laborers or as peacekeepers directly under S.A.In.T control.

This is more like I was going to post instead. It could use a lot of editing but is this somewhat along the lines of what you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Caleban View Post
            This is more like I was going to post instead. It could use a lot of editing but is this somewhat along the lines of what you mean?
            It's a rich and well thought-out backstory, and I could certainly think of ways to build a campaign within that universe, but unfortunately it doesn't answer the question. But that's okay, because perhaps I'm asking the wrong question. Let me try this another way...

Is the goal to simply provide a setting guide, or do you also plan to include a PPC with the release?

A setting guide would give players all the information they need to know about the world, but game masters would need to design and develop their own adventures. Including a Plot Point Campaign ties the setting to a particular adventure that puts a focus on certain events. GMs could insert their own story arcs as they see fit, but ultimately the PPC is the main objective.

Most Savage Worlds settings include a PPC by default (fan-made conversions and some homebrews are uniquely another matter).
            Last edited by Deskepticon; 11-13-2017, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Well yes, there would be a plot point campaign. What I am trying to establish is the setting guide seperate from the PPC. In my mind there would be many different PPC that could occur in the setting. The idea of the Redeemers is just an example or idea that I liked as I have been going back and forth here. I would like to include 3 one shots with different ideas so there is a sampling of the kinds of adventures I think of when i came up with the setting. I also want to include one full PPC.

Comment

Here we go now that I am home on my computer I had a chance to tweak it a bit and hopefully put it together a little better. Still needs editing and some tweaking but this is hopefully a coherent example of the setting. I'm going to take the Redeemer idea as a plot point campaign and build that up as one avenue for exploring the setting.

The war between the Caelum and the Bahl’Nor took humanity by surprise almost a century ago. The ancient races had long slumbered in hyperspace hidden as the younger races grew and spread across the galaxy. Awakened by a human scouting ship, the first race to make their presence known was the Bahl’Nor. From deep inside hyperspace the Bahl’Nor brought forth their mighty fleets and attacked savagely all who did not surrender immediately. Worlds quickly fell under their power until the Caelum and the Xek arrived and helped the younger races push the Bahl’Nor back.

The war did not end quickly as the enemy had seemingly limitless resources stored away with which to fight. The Caelum seemed able to withstand the Bahl’Nor attacks more easily, but they were far fewer in number and could not mount a direct attack on their own. The Caelum realizing, they would never turn the battle without helping their new allies gain greater technology shared the secrets of nanotechnology and psionics. With this recent technology, the allies were able to take the battle into the depths of hyperspace and finally shatter the primary source of the Bahl’Nor military might, their massive base within a fold space pocket. The war was over, but the galaxy had been battered and bruised and would need time to heal.

The immense destruction left the once mighty empires of the known galaxy in shambles, their worlds and fleets in disarray. The Star Systems Alliance, The Ror’Geth Clans, and the Silkune Conglomerate all who had once ruled dozens of star systems now retreated to their home worlds and the few systems they could defend with their battered fleets seeking to protect their remaining civilization. Rebuilding would take time and significant effort, and there was little if any energy left for colonization and expansion.

In the absence of the stabilizing power of the core worlds the colonial governments were left to fend for themselves in the outer territories. The Syndicate, never an organization to pass up opportunity, rose to power and gained control of many planets in the outer rim. The colonial governments are in charge in name only but he Syndicate was careful not to be completely overt in its control less the Star Systems Alliance be forced to admit the problem it mostly ignored.

Life on the rim is dangerous with few opportunities to make an honest living outside of mining or shipping most who want to survive end up working for the Syndicate. Those who do so are called Synners, these men and women seek to survive the harsh reality of life on the edge by joining the system rather than fighting it. Enforcers, mercs, and pirates to name a few all work to varying degrees for the Syndicate. Gaining favor with these factions is as much a form of currency as credits are on the rim.

Now over two decades later the Star Systems Alliance has finally begun to reach out and look beyond its borders again. Tired of the rampant corruption they have found and in need of the raw resources only the rim worlds can provide the navy has started to patrol a greater range of space. Space lanes are once again patrolled to prevent easy prey among the shipping lanes and establish safe ports for travel and repair. While their presence is yet still spread thin it has made a difference and allowed the goods and resources to flow back to the core worlds once more.

To mine and ship the raw resources needed for rebuilding the SSA took drastic steps to increase the flow of colonists to the outer rim. Those that were convicted of lesser crimes were given the option to be free if they would agree to set periods of service on colonial mining and farming planets. The large prison system that had developed due to poor living conditions at the end of the war were nearly emptied out freeing up resources and man power to secure the new colonies.

The final problem of the rim worlds is the power the Syndicate held over the local governments, the SSA knew it must break the hold and end the rampant corruption. The S.A.In.T units were established to be free roaming police and troubleshooting apparatus with broad powers and directives from the core worlds. Convicts who showed remorse and good behavior could get a second chance if they volunteered to become a Redeemer. These units are led by a handler who guides the overall strategy and missions of the team. To ensure each Redeemer stay loyal until they complete their service each is implanted with a nano computer containing an A.I. This A.I. parole officer has the power to stun their charge if they fail to follow through on their commitment.

“And that’s why you hear my voice in your head convict.”

Comment

I like that one much better. It includes enough history to explain the setting and tells the players the type of campaign they will be in. It allows a GM to add or remove characters easily but gives the players freedom to create what they want to play; everything from hardened criminals to white collar crooks to innocents caught in a corrupt system. It also hints at what sorts of enemies they will be facing. Organized crime is no joke but not impossible to overcome.

Heck, I have even come up with a couple character ideas just while writing this.
                  I have way too much time but do not always edit myself properly. Please do not take offense.

Comment

Now thanks to all who posted and gace feedback. Last night I sat down and outlined the plotpoint campaign as well as 3 one shots. Of course I still have to write them out but all this helped give me some good ideas.

Comment

Working...
                    X