Gun Kata / Gun Fu as an Arcane Background

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Kata / Gun Fu as an Arcane Background

How would you handle gun kata, or gun fu, as an arcane background? That is the kind of tricks and techniques seen in movies like Equilibrium and John Wick. Something effectively magical, but no overpoweringly so.

Not sure why you would do that when a mundane character with high skills in Shooting, Fighting and Athletics and with the right Edges can fully represent such characters. But if you promptly must do it then think about the nature of this arcane background and pick an arcane background from there. Is is a gift from god? Miracles. Is it more like a super-power? Gifted. Is it application of poorly understood and untapped human potential? Psionics.

The powers list would be really unimpressive. I can only think of a handful powers at the very most that would work if we look at this martial art. For example Darkvision, Boost trait (minus the lower ability), Deflection and Warriors Gift. All of these would only work on your own character which even further limits the viability of such an arcane background. All in all a far better alternative is to just build up the character with skills and Edges. If you are meant to play an over-the-top badass like John Wick you should probably start at Veteran rank at the very least where you can gain access to the combat Edges necessary.

Another example is to allow the Chi Edge but trap it as Gun Fu instead and you will probably get a lot of what you would want.

I can see it working with the Super Powers companion though, if you are meant to play characters who can compete with straight super heroes with their abilities.
    Last edited by Aristarkos; 07-03-2020, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Maybe take a look at the Deadlands Hexslinger for ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post
        How would you handle gun kata, or gun fu, as an arcane background?
        I'd start with a variant of Gifted.
        Probably a Trapping restriction that limits powers to Self or weapons you're currently holding (no casting smite on a rifle and then handing it to your allies).
        Since that's pretty limiting, compensate with a list of powers that activate without causing MAP and a free New Powers Edge.

Probably get something like this:
        Arcane Background (Grammaton Cleric)
        Requirements*: Fighting d6+, Shooting d6+, Focus d4+, Novice
        Arcane Skill: Focus (Spirit)
        Starting Powers: 3 (deflection and two others)
        Starting Power Points: 15
        Powers List: boost Trait, deflection, protection, smite (currently held firearms count as part of the character, only while held), warrior's gift, and more.
        Special (Gun Kata): The grammaton cleric's powers have a range of Self for no cost reduction. The boost Shooting, deflection, smite, and warrior's gift powers can be activated without inflicting a Multi-Action penalty.

*I haven't put any real thought into what the requirements should be, just that they should exist and include some basic combat skill.
        That is the kind of tricks and techniques seen in movies like Equilibrium and John Wick. Something effectively magical, but no overpoweringly so.
        Except you don't need an Arcane Background to do that stuff. Edges like Two Gun Kid, Counterattack (free attacks can be made with a pistol, per page 101), Dodge, Double Tap, Chi, and Level Headed provide most of the needed effects.
        All you really require is an Edge that lets you use Sweep, Frenzy, Chi, etc. with pistols when you're adjacent.
        You may want to add an Edge that makes shots against adjacent foes have significant bonuses.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Working...
        X