Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When will new VTT resources be released?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When will new VTT resources be released?

Not sure where to post this question now, as the "Ask Pinnacle" forum no longer appears to be available.

Aaron Acevedo posted on the peginc.com home page, that new resources for savage worlds would be available on Astral and Roll20 platforms.

Any word on when those will begin to roll out?

My group has been trying for many weeks now to find a way to easily continue our Tyrnador campaign online, but so far, the only options available are proving too daunting for us to get setup. We're hoping that the new SWADE resources for one of these VTT platforms will help to make that easier for us.

Thanks.

Originally posted by JamGame View Post
    Not sure where to post this question now, as the "Ask Pinnacle" forum no longer appears to be available.

Aaron Acevedo posted on the peginc.com home page, that new resources for savage worlds would be available on Astral and Roll20 platforms.

Any word on when those will begin to roll out?

My group has been trying for many weeks now to find a way to easily continue our Tyrnador campaign online, but so far, the only options available are proving too daunting for us to get setup. We're hoping that the new SWADE resources for one of these VTT platforms will help to make that easier for us.

Thanks.
    Seconded

It'd be great to get some SWADE resources in Roll20, especially in these current times

Comment

What are you trying to set up? Bennies, action cards, spell templates?
      I may be able to help.
      Have you found this resource: https://wiki.roll20.net/Savage_Worlds

Comment

Originally posted by mserfass View Post
        What are you trying to set up? Bennies, action cards, spell templates?
        I may be able to help.
        Have you found this resource: https://wiki.roll20.net/Savage_Worlds
        So we need to be able to create and advance characters in the VTT. Tyrnador adds new edges/hindrances, a new skill, new arcane backgrounds, and several new setting rules that aren't covered in SWADE core. We've tried starting to add some of that in both Roll20 and more recently Fantasy Grounds, but it's proving way too daunting, and we've not been able to get any of the effects to apply to characters/rolls or to get the new rules in place.

I'm hoping that if SWADE support is added to other VTTs, that might give us other options to try, in the hopes that one of of those, it will be possible for us to add the Tyrnador rules extensions.

Outside of that, we're basically stuck.

Thanks.

Comment

What character sheet are you using? The Savage Worlds (Tabbed Layout), aka Savage Worlds Tabbed Character Sheet, is SWADE and allows you to add custom skills (and rename existing ones), add any edge or hindrance you want, and ABs can be renamed as can power points under the powers section. Spells are pretty free form too. It actually does lots if you learn the tricks.

As for custom rules, I'm don't know what Tyrnador does differently than the base, since I haven't played that setting. Macros may be an option. It's a learning curve, but the forum on Roll20 seems good and the wiki is helpful.

It's difficult to do this in a forum. I could invite you to a sample game to show you how I've set up my game and share some of our discoveries. I play in a setting with a fair number of new edges, ABs, spells, skills, hindrances, and rule tweaks. My players and I have learned a fair number of tricks and we've managed to do more than expected with the tools in Roll20.

Comment

I've tried the tabbed character sheet for roll20, the official SWADE module for Fantasy Grounds, kicked the tires a bit with Astral, created a Foundry account, and DIY'ed some stuff on playingcards.io (last-ditch to just get basic usable tracking for bennies, initiative, wounds/timers and status via cards).

Tyrnador literally has AB's with different rules, different rules for healing and the new-powers edge, and a large list of edges with unique mechanical effects. It also includes a new type of edge and related sub-system (faction edges) and random-roll tables for additional character abilities (that break the normal edge requirement and advancement rules in SWADE), an expansion to the mass combat rules, and some other stuff I'm not listing off the top of my head here.

Basically there are too many mechanical effects I can't figure out how to model in any of the modules/extensions I would have to write for the mainstream VTTs, and there is way too much to enter; we need to keep our limited time for gaming to actually meet up online and game and hang out with our friends.

So at this point, I'm stuck and am considering the following options, but not having much luck with any:

1) Wait for an official setting module/book/extension for Tyrnador, for one of the mainstream VTTs. The publisher is a small co. and their resources are impacted by COVID (as we all are! Not a complaint/not placing blame, just saying...), so it's unlikely this can be available any time soon with the features we need.

2) Switch to a setting for SWADE that either A) uses only the rules in core or B) already has an official module/extension for one of the VTTs. My group is only interested in playing traditional Fantasy, and there aren't man published settings in that vein for SWADE to begin with. Nobody has the time or energy to buy, learn, or switch to a new system, and we don't care for D20/DnD5/etc. anyway.

3) Just ignore character creation/advancement/rolling dice and applying mods/battle-map/etc on the VTT. Use video or audio chat, do character creation and advancement offline, everybody rolls dice offline and reports results, and use a make-shift way to track combat, chases, and other sub-systems.

This is what I'm doing right now, but tracking everything with cards, counters, and markers on an ottoman/table that nobody else can see/interact but me makes combat a real chore and a PITA. Nobody understands where anything is or can keep track of their initiative or status, I have to track all the pc's mods as well as the npcs and enemies/etc.

I mentioned playingcards.io above... I've actually hatched a plan to try to replace my ottoman/table with that; if I can find time to build a status deck, powers deck, and a few other pieces for it, I might get players to log in with a browser to help track combat/status/chases/etc. there.

We don't care about table-top maps, artwork, or visual effects, and it looks like if I can find the time, it might not be too difficult to make a status and powers deck in playingcards.io. I won't know for sure if this helps until I have time to try it out.

My players are old and lazy (yes I said it, we've all been friends for eons, they will forgive me!), and the only want to video-chat via ipad, so I'm also worried they won't want to constantly swap between apps to view the table vs. chat... if that makes sense.

Comment

With that many changes to the core game, I wouldn't expect modules to any VTT any time soon. Have you posted to the respective VTT forums asking if any script writers/content creators planned on adding Tyrnador? Maybe the setting will become popular enough or someone who can write scripts is a big enough fan that she/he would add needed modules if others join your request.

Putting edges on a character sheet doesn't have any game effects in Roll 20. (I don't know about FG.) If I add block to my edges list, my parry doesn't increase. Raising fighting increases parry and changing vigor changes toughness, but no edges or hindrances alter numbers. You have to use the various mod columns for that. Wounds, fatigue, and distracted adjust rolls. Outside of that, we still have to calculate vulnerable, bound, entangled, situational mods, gang-up, and some spell effects. (If there's a way for edges to affect numbers, I haven't discovered it.) So no setting has special modules for it.

Some players use Roll20/FG for everything except character sheets. It still gives you lots of benefit. It's easy to write or find macros to roll things like attacks and soaks. Players can each have their own specific to their character for fighting, soak, whatever.

Before switching to Roll20, I set up a camera pointing at my game table. I put a map and minis on it, and created status cards about the size of an index card. One card per character, with the name on top. I tracked wounds, fatigue, etc on those with dry erase. I set bennies and cards next to each PC card. I moved the minis on the map as players requested. Players kept characters on paper in front of them. It worked ok. It was simple, free, and we spent no time fussing with software.

Sorry I couldn't help any more than that.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the info and the suggestions, I appreciate it. I guess maybe I'm looking for a different feature set, with character-sheet audit, support for players when advancing their characters, and listing out dice and bonuses they should roll for each of their special abilities. I don't think we'll get much use out of macros/etc. as we prefer to roll all of our own dice offline.

I guess the main things missing for me at this point in the VTT are the details/auditing on the character sheet, and then an easy way to import and track bennies/initiative/status-cards (stunned/vulnerable/distracted/shaken/bound/entangled/wounds/etc. - there are actually a lot when you look at the PEG status deck).

I've been using the cards and counters/etc. on a table, albeit without a camera (still clueless as to how to set that up with our single-screen/app devices), and without the actual map (we just determine who's at which ranges, and then players note when they're moving to a different range category, relatively).

So the table-top status/wounds/etc. tracking, and then a character sheet that calculates and compiles everything and lists out what characters can do (and what they should roll) would probably do it. It sounds like this last bit with the sheet is probably not going to happen any time soon though.

Comment

Hi JamGame ,

I don't know if you've seen it, but PEG does sell VTT assets that can be imported to roll20:
                  https://www.peginc.com/?post_type=product&s=vtt

You can use those to get your basic card decks, bennies, etc into roll20. Roll20 already has an initiative tracker you can deal cards to, so that part is covered. And you can deal bennies, Adventure Cards, etc to individual players.

You can use the roll20 Savage Worlds character sheet to roll your basic skills, attributes, including Wound and Fatigue penalties, but its probably easiest to then manually add/subtract for Edges, status effects, etc instead of trying to fiddle with the character sheet to include those mods. Though if you have a straightforward Edge like Alertness its easy enough the add the +2 to Notice on the character sheet.

For character advancement/auditing I recommend https://savaged.us/ though it does not currently support Tyrnador. By support I mean the setting isn't already per-programmed for selection. But the customization options are extensive so you could probably create the setting manually. You could also ask if Tyrnador is on their plate to be added since they do support other Gramel settings.

Hope this helps.

Comment

JamesG thanks for the suggestions.

I have a wildcard subscription to svaged.us, and I've spent way too much time over the past few months, trying to enter the Tyrnador rules changes there via a campaign tab. I just can't figure out how to get the edges and setting-specific rules to apply their effects to the character sheet there, so all I could basically accomplish was to get the edge descriptions listed, which doesn't really help much I'm afraid.

I also emailed the contact at savaged.us, maybe 3 months ago, and was told that they do have plans to add Tyrnador: Fate of Ventar, but there's no timeline, and it hasn't shown up on their roadmap yet, so that might be too little too late for us I'm afraid.

I have the assets bundle from the kick-starter, but honestly, we could care less about the graphics. My problem is that I need the status descriptions on the cards, and to be able to place things manually where I need them. Then I need a way to my players to be able to see and interact with that on their ipads, without loosing the video chat window as well.

Honestly, this has just become too daunting and frustrating for us at this point. I'm really thinking we're going to end up moving to a much simpler system for our next campaign, probably. I would even consider something like Fate, but we're just not comfortable enough with the narrative style and lack of advancement/character customization mechanics in systems like that, so I really don't know what we'll end up doing.

Comment

Hey JamGame, I help with the Savaged.us and will ask Jeff if this is something we can look at sooner than later. We have to make sure he has the "rights" to it before we can do much. But if he does, I'll see if I can't move this one up in line a bit quicker for ya. It will be nice to get a few more Fantasy Settings in there anyways .

Comment

Originally posted by JamGame View Post
                        JamesG thanks for the suggestions.

I have a wildcard subscription to svaged.us, and I've spent way too much time over the past few months, trying to enter the Tyrnador rules changes there via a campaign tab. I just can't figure out how to get the edges and setting-specific rules to apply their effects to the character sheet there, so all I could basically accomplish was to get the edge descriptions listed, which doesn't really help much I'm afraid.

I also emailed the contact at savaged.us, maybe 3 months ago, and was told that they do have plans to add Tyrnador: Fate of Ventar, but there's no timeline, and it hasn't shown up on their roadmap yet, so that might be too little too late for us I'm afraid..
                        I've started to do the entry for Tyrnador. There is a ton of modifying to the existing rules. Some of it will be just description to Edges/Hindrances, but much of it will modify as well. I've only seen this much modification with a setting like Rifts. Keep an eye out for it and then help us squash all the bugs. No promises, but hopefully this week.

Comment

Originally posted by jrpaikuli View Post

I've started to do the entry for Tyrnador. There is a ton of modifying to the existing rules. Some of it will be just description to Edges/Hindrances, but much of it will modify as well. I've only seen this much modification with a setting like Rifts. Keep an eye out for it and then help us squash all the bugs. No promises, but hopefully this week.
                          Wow, thank you so much, this will be great! And - thanks for confirming that I'm not alone in thinking there are a lot of rules modifications there.

I'll share this with my group, and we'll be happy to try it out; no worries on timing - just excited that this will be an option at some point!

Comment

• jrpaikuli
                            jrpaikuli commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hey JamGame, I've gotten all of the Player's Guide entered in. Started work on the Game Master's Guide and I'm hopeful it goes quick. Then Jeff and I will circle back and mess around with some characters in the Setting. Still looking good for this week, given not too much looks broken

Ok, we've launched Tyrnador. We've got a ways to go, but you can start checking it out. Let us know in the Bugs/Feedback if you see things we've missed or need correction. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by jrpaikuli View Post
                            Ok, we've launched Tyrnador. We've got a ways to go, but you can start checking it out. Let us know in the Bugs/Feedback if you see things we've missed or need correction. Enjoy!
                            Amazing - thanks! We'll start checking out. Just a heads up - two of my players will be out of comms range over the long holiday weekend, so it might be next week before we can really dig in. I'm going to setup a campaign and see if I can invite them so they can start with their current characters when they get back next week.

Comment

Working...
                            X