How do oversized weapons work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do oversized weapons work?

I'm trying to decide between a Vibro-Greatsword + large shield or a Giant Vibro Blade on my Combat Cyborg (size 1), and the thing is, I'm not sure if he actually can use a Giant Vibro Blade (Notes: Reach 2; sized for Size 2 or larger, requires two hands if not Size 3 or larger.) or, if he can, what penalties it might or might not impose. I've spent many hours searching PDFs and I've found nothing that matches conclusively. We players are heavily restricted on what we're allowed to view, however, which could be an issue. Not allowed to read everything. Google searches have been equally inconclusive. Made an account just to ask here.

I know that sword + shield is probably generally more powerful, but I'd love the style of having an impossibly giant sword.

If the answer is a "yes", a book/page reference would be greatly appreciated, so that I could have something concrete to refer my GM to.

Thanks for any help!

Get an extra pair of arms and take both.

EDIT: To answer your real question, without access to the Growth Power, the Giant Vibro-Blade is not a valid choice as far as I know.
    Last edited by dentris; 05-08-2020, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
      Originally posted by Aarron View Post
      I'm trying to decide between a Vibro-Greatsword + large shield or a Giant Vibro Blade on my Combat Cyborg (size 1), and the thing is, I'm not sure if he actually can use a Giant Vibro Blade
      He can't.

You have to be Size 2 or larger to use one. That limits it to Grackle-Tooth characters, Titan Juicers, big monsters, and custom D-Bees.
      Because of the setting-rule change to the Brawny Edge, there is no mechanic for most characters to permanently increase their Size. So you can't make your Size 1 Combat Cyborg into a Size 2 creature.

You'll have to settle for one-handing a Vibro-Greatsword.

P.S. There is a Rifts-specific part of the forum. You may find some cool inspirations there.
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Thanks for the ruling. It's really too bad about Brawny. Would facilitate so much flexibility.

Just to expand on official D-Bees of size 2 or larger: Kill Cats from Empires of Humanity are size 2, and Vronwor from Arcana and Mysticism are size 3. And of course those in power armor and robot vehicles can easily hit size 2+.

Really odd that there's no vibro-two-hander for size 1 characters. Seems like a hole there, when size 0 and 2 both get em.

Comment

• pkitty
          pkitty commented
          Editing a comment
          Pretty sure the intent is for Size 1 characters to use the Vibro-Greatsword. Obviously you can work with the GM to come up with a custom weapon that falls between the two.
      Working...
      X