Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is One Able to Use an Advance to Take out a Hindrance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is One Able to Use an Advance to Take out a Hindrance?

Is one able to use an advance to take out a hindrance of their character in Savage Worlds - Deluxe (Explorer's Edition)?

Sure. That's technically a GM decision though.

Comment

It's been allowed, albeit with some justification. An Ugly person doesn't simply wake up beautiful one day; that takes surgery or sorcery. In many cases, it's a good idea to allow the player to swap one Hindrance for another. An Ugly person may undergo a procedure to look gorgeous, but become vain as a result. In this case, she spends her Advance taking Attractive, and swaps Ugly for Quirk (Vain). She also very likely needs to dish out a lot of funds for the procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by ApertureGear View Post
        Is one able to use an advance to take out a hindrance of their character in Savage Worlds - Deluxe (Explorer's Edition)?
        In Deluxe, it's a GM call. Usually allowed.
        In Adventure Edition it is rules as written.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Note that, in SWADE, an Advance lets you remove a Minor Hindrance, not a Major one.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
            ValhallaGH commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, but you can use a single Advance to reduce a Major to it's Minor version, and you can bank two Advances to just remove a Major in a single go.

• SeeleyOne
            SeeleyOne commented
            Editing a comment
            It was like that in Deluxe, too. Or at least for some reason that was what I remember the case being, and people did that in games that I played in.

• pkitty
            pkitty commented
            Editing a comment
            @ValhallaGH: Yes, but it's important to note that removing a Minor is always allowed as long as it makes sense, but saving two and removing a Major requires explicit GM permission.

@SeeleyOne: No, the only Hindrances that was legal for were Enemy and Habit. However, allowing it for any Hindrance was a very common setting- and house-rule, which is why it wasn't at all surprising that it was canonized in SWADE.

Thank you all.

Comment

As a GM, I would also add that I would require something to make sense narratively. But it could be something that happens durring session or between sessions (during downtime).

Comment

Working...
            X