Perhaps a silly question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perhaps a silly question?

I'm playing in a Ripper game using the SWADE, and this came up: How much damage would a wall do?

(Soft style martial artist, with Counterattack and Improvised Weapons, and we've determined that Tables are likely d6, and we settled on car doors d4.)

That depends on the size of the wall, and the material it's made of. Multiple square meters of brick wall would likely inflict str+d12 damage at least, and require superhuman abilities to attack with.

Comment

What do mean, "How much damage?"

Is the target being thrown /slammed into the wall?
      I'd use a version of the Ram rules on page 116.

Is the wall being picked up and used as a weapon?
      Depending on how much weight is being swung around, the Super Powers Companion gives some pretty good guidelines on this.
      • 50 lbs = Str+d10
      • 100 lbs = Str+d12
      • 200 lbs = Str+d12+1
      • 400 lbs = Str+d12+2
      • 1000 = Str+d12+3
      • 1 Ton = Str+d12+4
      • Etc.

Comment

The Ram rules! That's a good idea! Thanks guys.

Comment

• Deskepticon
          Deskepticon commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd simplify damage into just two categoeies, based off of the wall's general topography. 2d6 for smooth flat walls, and 3d6 for jagged or spiked walls. Of course, the wall's Hardness determines whether or not to add a bonus die.

Because Ram causes damage to both "participants," it's possible to throw a person through the wall. Much easier with drywall (which likely has a lower Hardness than the target's Toughness), than for a brick wall.

If all that's happening is that the creature is being redirected into objects and surfaces using martial arts, I'd just use the martial artist's unarmed damage. Maybe add +2 or an extra d6 if they're thrown into something especially dangerous, like through a glass window or spikes or something. Getting smacked into furniture or drywall is just the trappings for how soft martial arts do damage.

Comment

I'd note that the Havoc power considers "being thrown into a wall" to do 2d4 damage, so that might make a good baseline to scale from.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelDraco View Post
            If all that's happening is that the creature is being redirected into objects and surfaces using martial arts, I'd just use the martial artist's unarmed damage. Maybe add +2 or an extra d6 if they're thrown into something especially dangerous, like through a glass window or spikes or something. Getting smacked into furniture or drywall is just the trappings for how soft martial arts do damage.
            True, fair enough. I'll just do that. It's just trappings and description. It'll be easier on the GM too. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X