Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interruption and changing the order of actions

Question about being interrupted.

If a character declares four actions in a turn, and gets interrupted after the first, I know RAW says they still must using those three skills, but can they change the order?
    Specifically they declared
    Teleport
    Spellcasting
    Fighting
    Teleport

They where interrupted, so can they now
    Teleport
    <interrupted>
    Teleport
    Spellcasting
    Fighting

I do not know if that is kosher?

1) Limited to 3 actions, not 4.

2) Nothing in the rules states that the order of actions need to be declared, just what actions are being performed. So, I wouldn't have any issue changing the order of actions.

Comment

• Ndreare
      Ndreare commented
      Editing a comment
      Response to 1) The character (NPC) in this case is a Rifts character and for him Teleport can be used as an Innate ability (first use on innate abilities in a round is a Free action).

As to your 2), this is also what I am inclined to think. But as it will potentially screw something up a player spent a benny on, I am getting feedback, while I wait for an official answer.

What was the outcome of the Interrupt? Was the teleporter Shaken or anything? Did they spend a Benny to unShake? Did the Interrupt fail?
    I'm trying to figure out why the character still gets the rest of their action.

1) Did the first teleport action happen successfully, but the Interrupter moved to block the Spellcasting and/or Fighting roll, so the character decided to teleport again to avoid those actions being blocked?

2) Was the Interrupter the target or Spellcasting/Fighting and now he's no longer in range?

3) Or did the Interruption have nothing to do with the acting character at all, and it was just when the Interrupter decided to take his turn?

I think these questions matter as to what the "fair" ruling would be.

If...
    1) This seems against the spirit of the Interrupt action and I wouldn't allow it.
    2) Seems legit. If the goal was to teleport next to someone and attack them, then teleport away, then the primary goal can still be achieved since the character has already mentally prepared two teleport attempts. The tradeoff is that now they are stuck where they didn't want to be for a round.
    3) If the Interrupt didn't affect the character at all, the player would need to give a very good reason for why they are suddenly changing their plan. I would consider allowing it.

Under all circumstances, the target of Spellcasting and Fighting cannot be changed, and the destination of teleport needs to be reasonably the same (i.e., "I teleport behind X" ...wherever X might have moved to).

Comment

The person who interrupted used entangle with a big raise. (Trapped as TK twisting and binding)

So now the other character will need to TP out of it in order to get his other actions going.

Comment

Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post
        Under all circumstances, the target of Spellcasting and Fighting cannot be changed, and the destination of teleport needs to be reasonably the same (i.e., "I teleport behind X" ...wherever X might have moved to).
        On this one we already know the whether the target can be changed is a GM call per official answers. (In this case no change is intended, but it is worth noting.)

Edit: Then again that was a SWD answer where Clint said it would be a GM call. So we may need it officially answered again.
        Last edited by Ndreare; 02-14-2020, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X