Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the Lingering Damage power modifier be applied to any power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the Lingering Damage power modifier be applied to any power?

Can the Lingering Damage power modifier be applied to any power?

Seems a bit imbalanced ...
    Bolt 1 PP +2 PP = 3 for lingering to hit one target
    Burst 2 PP +2 PP = 4 to hit many targets ... Ok, it could be 4 PP for one target, but 2 or more and the cost per target for lingering is soon < 1 PP per target

It can be applied to any power that directly deals damage. That means blast, bolt, burst, and damage field.

The issue you're highlighting is the power disparity between bolt and burst, not an issue with Lingering Damage. Bolt is a single target damaging power, good for long ranges and picking off foes near your allies. Burst is a short range swathe of destruction perfect for clearing a hallway or guarding an entrance or similar choke point; if you have allies in the area then you need to either signal them so they can try to Evade or spend the additional Power Point to make it Selective.
    Given the higher base cost and shorter range of burst the powers are pretty equal. They're simply optimized for different situations.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• pkitty
      pkitty commented
      Editing a comment
      Just throwing agreement behind this post -- ValhallaGH ninja'd exactly what I was going to say as well.

When I played my first SW character (Deadlands), I said "why would anyone take bolt when they could take burst?" and 2-3 advances later I was adding bolt because of all the situations in which I needed precision. Now that SWADE has Selective that's less of an issue, but then it's yet more PP spent.
Working...
X