Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wild Card Edges Build. Has anyone tried it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild Card Edges Build. Has anyone tried it?

Does anyone have any experience with a build based on triggering a Wild Card Edge drawing a Joker in combat? I was thinking of a build that has Quick, Level Headed, then Dead Shot, Mighty Blow or Power surge and then Improved Level Headed.

My thinking is that if you are drawing 3 or 4 cards per combat round, your chance of drawing a Joker and triggering the bonus of the Wild Card Edge might make an interesting build. From a caster point of view gaining extra power points in the middle of a fight can recharge the caster for more spells. From a combat build doubling damage is a nice bonus.

Deluxe edition offered a bonus for this build if you had Quickness cast on yourself, discarding cards below 8, SWade has removed that.

Yes. I've seen it in action a few times.

It's a gimmick build but can be incredibly powerful when the gimmick triggers.
    I haven't looked at the statistics recently, but my recollection is that a Quick, Level Headed (Imp) character can expect to get a Joker one in five rounds of combat.
    When it triggers, a foe dies. Typical Joker damage becomes 30+, with spikes in the seventies or hundreds, for the Dead Shot or Mighty Blow character.

Power Surge is much more niche, since it just recharges Power Points. It's fine for a caster, but not worth building a character around.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

I've seen one in action, and it is reliable enough to be a viable combat build. (Called Shot to the head at +2 for 2d8+6, more than half the time +1d6, doubled, for an average of 30/38 with a raise in Deadlands... deadly for a vast majority of stuff)
      Quick is not necessary for it, only adding marginal odds of drawing that Joker. Having another player with Tactician (and the improved version at Veteran) and Natural Leader is much more useful. It requires a player that doesn't mind leaving the spotlight to you, however.

Comment

Working...
      X