Interruptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interruptions

Hi everyone, pleased to meet you. I am new to SWADE and I am wondering if you could help me.

If you put yourself on HOLD and try to Interrupt another character's action. Does that mean that you;

1. Can interrupt an enemy action by making an action of your own; attack, making a test, support an ally and so on - and that single action is your turn for the round?
    2. Can you make an action or move to protect an ally? For example taking the hit by moving between the attacker and it's target, or try to disarm, grapple or break the enemy's weapon?

Sorry if these questions are moronic. I read the rules, but they seemed a little bit unclear to my feeble mind.
    Love the rest of the system though =)

Originally posted by LordInquisitorMithras View Post
    Hi everyone, pleased to meet you. I am new to SWADE and I am wondering if you could help me.
    Welcome to the forums, and Welcome to Savage Worlds too!

If you put yourself on HOLD and try to Interrupt another character's action. Does that mean that you;

1. Can interrupt an enemy action by making an action of your own; attack, making a test, support an ally and so on - and that single action is your turn for the round?
    2. Can you make an action or move to protect an ally? For example taking the hit by moving between the attacker and it's target, or try to disarm, grapple or break the enemy's weapon?
    First things first, a character can only go On Hold once their Action Card comes up. Essentially, they are "holding" their turn until a later time.

To Interrupt someone, the other character---usually an opponent---must have already started their turn (i.e., they have declared their actions and intent). You then come "off" Hold by declaring YOUR actions and intent. Both characters make an opposing Athletics roll and the winner takes their turn first.

So the answer to #1 is Yes.
    When you come off Hold, you are taking your turn at that time.

The answer to #2 is also Yes.
    You can declare your actions to disrupt an enemy attack. That can either be: causing them to be Shaken (which disallows actions); disarm their weapon (if their declared action was to strike with the weapon, it is now no longer possible); grappling; or even "shielding" an ally (ruled as giving them Cover).

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Deskepticon
      Deskepticon commented
      Editing a comment
      I came back to add a few things after reading your post in the Official Answers forum, but Valhalla covered it all already.

Welcome to the forum!
    I hope you have a blast with both Savage Worlds and this forum.

Originally posted by LordInquisitorMithras View Post
    Background: You can try to come off Hold at any time. If you come off Hold between the turns of other characters then no die roll is required and you act normally. If you come off hold during some one else's turn then you're trying to interrupt, and need to win an opposed Athletics roll - succeed and you get a turn immediately, in between the parts of the interrupted character's turn; fail and you must take your turn as soon as the 'interrupted' turn completes.
    1. You take a Turn. That's a full turn, like it was your normal Turn. You get to move, take actions (attacks, support, tests, powers, and all the other types of actions), move some more, run, take free actions that can be done during your turn, and more.
    2. Yes. If you successfully interrupt then you can block the movement of the interrupted character, make the interrupted character's declared actions impossible (negating that character's turn), make the interrupted character Shaken and prevent them from take any actions (unless they spend a benny to remove Shaken), and more. You can "human shield" by moving to provide Cover, but you're better off making shooters Shaken - the free Spirit roll to recover from Shaken happens at the start of a Turn, not in the middle of the turn. This means that interruptions, free attacks, and other things that cause Shaken during a foe's turn can prevent that foe's actions, unless they spend a benny to remove Shaken during the middle of their turn.

I hope that helps and feel free to ask for more information or clarification.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Deskepticon and ValhallaGH thank you both soo much for your very helpful replies. I now understand the rule and it makes the system even better
      You handled this fool very admirably, I shall try to not be a bother, but alas I feel that more questions might head this forum's way.
      Hope that you have very pleasant days and evenings.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
        ValhallaGH commented
        Editing a comment
        You're very welcome. I generally enjoy helping folks by answering questions, so I (for one) look forward to your next question.

How do you guys handle Hold against groups of enemies? Say I have a hero that's trying to interrupt a bunch of goons on their turn - do you do a group Athletics roll for the goons, so they get a Wild Die per p89 of SWADE?

Comment

Originally posted by SteelDraco View Post
        How do you guys handle Hold against groups of enemies? Say I have a hero that's trying to interrupt a bunch of goons on their turn - do you do a group Athletics roll for the goons, so they get a Wild Die per p89 of SWADE?
        Depends on if the GM declared the entire group's actions first, before even a single turn gets resolved, or if the GM took each Extra's turn piecemeal.

Also depends on if the Interrupting character wants to disrupt one Extra from the group or the entire group (the latter requiring some pretty hefty justification, but a grenade can do the trick).

Ideally, the GM would have declared all the Extras' actions first. This allows for a smoove transition of rules and prevents the GM from retroactively saying, "Well Extra C went On Hold in the event someone would try to intervene, and now he's Interrupting YOU," or other silly shennanigans.
        Depending on the player's intent, the opposed Athletics roll could be against each individual Extra (the player sets the TN and each Extra tries to beat it) or against the whole group using a Wild Die.

I think I'd go with individual checks more often than not, only because it's more difficult to justify how the entire group either simultanously suceeds or failures at something (such as avoiding a grenade blast).

Comment

• ValhallaGH
          ValhallaGH commented
          Editing a comment
          Pretty much this.
      Working...
      X