First Try at Arcane Weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Try at Arcane Weapon

The following power is being created based on a player in one of my settings wanting one. I see it asked about a lot on the forums and think this will work for a normal game. I am looking for opinions.

Arcane Weapon
    Power Points: 2
    Range: Touch
    Duration: 5
    Trappings: Mystic daggers, flaming whip, and ice swords
    Arcane weapon allows the use to create a melee weapon in the form of any ancient weapon, made out of arcane energy. The weapon inflicts Str+d6 damage. If activated with a Raise the character may immediately make a free attack with the weapon. (This attack cannot benefit from edges such as Frenzy, and Sweep)
    Note the roll to attack is a separate roll from the activation roll of this power.

MODIFIERS
    • ADDITIONAL RECIPIENTS (+1): This modifier creates one additional weapon at a cost of 1 additional Power Point each.
    • MORE POWERFUL (+1): The arcane weapons damage increases to Str+d10 for cost Power Point for each weapon affected.
    • PARRY (+1): The weapon provides +1 Parry.
    • REACH (+1): The weapon shape or nature is such that it has a reach of 1.

This power can be combined with the armor piercing and heavy modifiers if the player wants.
    Last edited by Ndreare; 01-20-2020, 02:26 AM.

What about Parry, AP and other special properties some melee weapons have?

Comment

I deliberately did not have a Parry bonus as other powers already do it. For example Deflection can represent a Shield or parry bonus, and Boost fighting can represent a better to hit or parry modifer. I do not like stepping on other powers generally, but did consider +1 parry a +1 Power Point modifier before I deleted it.

AP and Heavy Damage are already modifiers in SWADE and do not need new ones.

Comment

• Café Truck
        Café Truck commented
        Editing a comment
        I think a +1 parry modifier would make sense without stepping on the toes of deflection; I’m taking some inspiration from Rifts, here, but an extra large cross guard or something could be a cool touch. I wouldn’t allow higher than a +1, though. Just like the “hurry” trapping gives a similar benefit to the speed power without being quite the same thing, a parry trapping could work without being quite the same thing as deflection.

Looks good to me. 1 PP seemed low and then I realized using this power makes "readying a weapon" into an action, so that works out well.
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

I like it!

But of course I like it... it's very similar to a custom power I made for a certain conversion setting I'm working on. In my version, though, the character can create simple magical tools as well (shovels, crowbars, lockpicks, etc). The power can alleviate the "no tools" penalty when making Repair rolls. Special equipment, such as salves and bandages for Healing, cannot be replicated.

As for your power, I do think 1 PP is a tad bit low for what it provides. I would make it 2 PP, like [i]smite[/], which is a spiritually similar power. Other than that, I think it works.

_____

This power creates one additional power at a cost of 1 additional Power Point each.
        >emphasis mine<
        Shouldn't this read:
        "This modifier creates one additional weapon at a cost of 1 additional Power Point each."
        Last edited by Deskepticon; 01-18-2020, 12:57 AM.

Comment

• Ndreare
          Ndreare commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks I missed that

• Ndreare
          Ndreare commented
          Editing a comment
          I would love to see your power. (I would really love to see this printed officially in something other than my stuff)

• Deskepticon
          Deskepticon commented
          Editing a comment
          Ndreare Sure! It's fairly setting-specific (and you might even guess the setting from the terminology), but this is what I have so far. Now that I'm looking at it, it can probably benefit from an update.

Power-Wrought Object
          Power Points: 2
          Range: Self
          Duration: 5

This power creates one simple, tangible object coalesced from the One Power itself. The object must be solid, without moving parts, but can otherwise take any shape desired. It is held and used just as it normally would be, and as long as the power remains active, the object can be altered as a free action. It does not, however, gain new special abilities unless the power is channeled again with appropriate modifiers. Using this power counts as having tools when making Repair rolls, but it cannot replicate consummables such as salves or bandages.

Manifested objects have Hardness 10 and generally take the hue of the element used to fashion it; an object made from Air looks pale blue or white, Earth brown or grey, Fire red or orange, and one made from Water appears aqua or green.

Modifiers
          Additional Object (+1): The power manifests one additional object, which can also be altered as a free action.
          Durable (+1): The Hardness of any object increases to 15.
          Reach (+1): An object gains Reach 1 for the duration of the power.

What would you think of combining it with something like the Psi-Weapon Manipulation Edge from Rifts Arcana & Mysticism?

And could the weapon be combined with smite?
        Last edited by Café Truck; 01-18-2020, 04:20 AM. Reason: To add the question about smite.

Comment

Originally posted by Café Truck View Post
          What would you think of combining it with something like the Psi-Weapon Manipulation Edge from Rifts Arcana & Mysticism?

And could the weapon be combined with smite?
          It can combine with smite. You can already reshape it with your will if thats your trapping. But if you want reach or AP you need to buy it with a modifier.

Effectivly it is like having Psi-Weapon manipulation for without loosing an edge.

Comment

Added a parry bonus.

Would allowing it to immediately be used in an attack on a raise be a better thing than the extra damage on a raise?

Comment

After further consideration, especially comparing it to warrior's gift (Martial Artist), I'm changing my mind to "needs to cost 2 Power Points".
              It only provides two thirds the benefits - damage and armed - but it provides more damage, as much as two edges. A 1 PP it is too cheap.

Granting a free attack with the weapon on a raise would be pretty awesome. It's competitive with increased damage. Making it a free attack keeps MAP consistent and prevents it from giving free Frenzy or Sweep.
              I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• Ndreare
                Ndreare commented
                Editing a comment
                Updated based on your feedback.

I wouldn’t restrict the Parry bonus to avoid stacking with deflection, as they’re different things. The hurry trapping and speed play nicely, for example. No reason Parry and deflection couldn’t co-exist.

Comment

• Ndreare
                Ndreare commented
                Editing a comment
                that is a valid sounding argument.

What is the trapping? Any melee weapon made out of <material/energy>?

Or is it more narrow: <melee weapon> made out of <material/energy>?

Comment

• Koshnek
                Koshnek commented
                Editing a comment
                I would be ok with either, but the ability to summon any kind of weapon is stronger (if it acquires any of the benefits of that weapon type).

• Café Truck
                Café Truck commented
                Editing a comment
                Based on the modifiers available and on the above comments re: the Psi-Weapon Manipulation Edge, it reads to me as if it's the ability to summon any kind of weapon. Need one with reach? Pay the +1 for reach and summon a spear. Need to thwack through a stubborn door? Pay the +1 for additional damage and summon a battle axe. Etc.

• Ndreare
                Ndreare commented
                Editing a comment
                The intent is as Cafe Truck says

True. With AP, HW, Reach and Parry modifier options you wouldn’t need to take on the aspects of core weapons you could customize it with PP.

Comment

Working...
              X