The Shadow "Cloud Mens Minds"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Shadow "Cloud Mens Minds"

How would one use Arcane powers to emulate the Shadow? Specifically how he would make himself invisible by erasing his presence from people's minds. Maybe a variation of the blind power where the sight penalties only apply against noticing and attacking the caster? If that's the case perhaps victims would recover by making a spirit or smarts roll instead of the usual vigor. Sorry if my wording is confusing.

This is not a question that requires an official ruling, so this has been moved to General Chat.

Comment

The Invisibility power with the appropriate trapping.

Comment

Yep, it's just invisibility with a "you don't see me" trapping.

The Shadow's base power is actually mind reading to "know what evil lurks in the hearts of men".
        With advances, he learned to hide himself from sight, effectively becoming invisible as the invisibility power.
        It's been too long since I looked at the source material for me to definitively state what his other powers are, but he doesn't actually have (or need) many of them to do what he does. A good right cross and a Colt .45 covers most of his needs.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

If I recall correctly, the Shadow doesn't actually have any powers other than immortality (from that elixir he drank). His "mind reading" is actually a result of his massive network of informants, and he's just so exceptionally good at Stealth that a legend sprung up around him about being able to "cloud men's minds." Then again, these might just be inventions of the 1980s reboot.

Regardless, he definitely has the Gifted AB. Invisibility is the obvious choice, but a cleverly Trapped mind wipe could work too. You might even give him a custom Edge that says if he succeeds on a Stealth roll with a raise, he may immediately cast mind wipe as a free action to erase his presence from peoples' minds.

If you're using the SPC, he'd most likely have Ageless, Super Skill (Stealth) and Mind Reading (w/ Memory Master). He'd probably also have a level or two in Attack Melee and Attack Ranged, as well as Parry.

Comment

• Ndreare
            Ndreare commented
            Editing a comment
            I found them on audible and grabbed them.

Trust me you did not miss much. They had the same feel as the old Superman radio shows.

• Deskepticon
            Deskepticon commented
            Editing a comment
            Ndreare My dad's been on a weird nostolgia kick lately and he used to listen to those kinds of radio shows when he was a kid. Maybe I'll get 'em for him. It'll gives us something to do while we sip scotch.

• Ndreare
            Ndreare commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like a good start to quality family time.

Gifted? Interesting. I'd just give him the Psionics AB, with mind reading and invisibility. Maybe mind wipe as the third power. I mean, he trained and learned his powers in Tibet, right? He's always seemed like the best example of a pulp hero with Psionics to me. (I'm only familiar with the Alec Baldwin movie from my youth; I don't know the character from comics.)

Comment

• Deskepticon
            Deskepticon commented
            Editing a comment
            I went with Gifted because I was under the assumption he doesn't actually have powers, but he is still degrees above an average human.

• ValhallaGH
            ValhallaGH commented
            Editing a comment
            The Shadow doesn't have a lot of powers, and I don't think he has three Novice powers. Add in his power endurance, and Gifted seems like a great fit for his AB choice. Though Psionics would give access to Mentalist, which he could definitely make use of.
        Working...
        X