i had a rather unusual character concept i wanted to pitch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i had a rather unusual character concept i wanted to pitch

how would you theoretically use Trappings on Skills to represent a psionic character that specializes in hijacking the nervous systems of others through telepathy? i was thinking stealth to disguise or remove the character's own signature from the viewer, such as a limited form of perception block, or notice to see through the eyes of another character within a range that scales with smarts. i was thinking for more of a rogue with a unique flavor than actually seeking huge mechanical bonuses

the basic premise, is the character is a Psionically Gifted Operative for a secret government funded agency who specializes in a Psionic Power called "Telepathic Perception Control" and i wanted to see your opinions on how you could use skill trappings to represent this particular power. because it would kind of be pointless to devote a whole arcane background to one particular telepathy subdiscipline when skill trappings could theoretically achieve the same result in a more balanced manner. how would any of you do it? essentially, i am trying to give some pizzazz to a thieflike character who specializes more in reconnaissance and recovering macguffins to turn in for bounties.

Originally posted by Ilina_Young View Post
    how would you theoretically use Trappings on Skills to represent a psionic character that specializes in hijacking the nervous systems of others through telepathy? i was thinking stealth to disguise or remove the character's own signature from the viewer, such as a limited form of perception block, or notice to see through the eyes of another character within a range that scales with smarts.
    If you're doing it with skill trappings, just make the roll normally and then describe to the GM why you succeeded. So instead of "I sneak past the guard when she's not looking" you say something like "I walk right past the guard, using a perception block to prevent him from seeing me".

The same for Notice. Instead of saying "I made the roll, so I avoid Surprise" you say something like "I glimpse the enemy through the eyes of a bird perched on the roof, and avoid Surprise".

If you want capabilities that go beyond the scope of the skills, you should invest in an Arcane Background (the SWD Super Powers using the "No PP" rule might be a good fit).
    My blog: Savage Stuff. I've also written some free tools and supplements.

Comment

• Ilina_Young
      Ilina_Young commented
      Editing a comment
      thankies

This might be represented through the Skill Specialization setting rule. Essentially, the character is assumed to be psionically enhancing their skills nearly all the time (as illustrated by Zadmar's comment), but if they want to perform them in a more "conventional" manner, they receive the penalty. This opens the door for the GM to use devices such as psi-blockers to force the player out of their comfort zone.

Comment

Working...
    X