D8s with Rerolls or D10s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D8s with Rerolls or D10s?

I'm planning four advances ahead, and I'm at a crossroad with building my highly social support and utility character. I could use some advice.

I'm mostly focused on Tests and Support actions. I currently have a d8 in Smarts, Spirit, Persuasion, Intimidation, Taunt, and Psionics. For edges, I have
    Killer Instinct (free reroll on tests),
    Rabble-Rouser (Taunt and Intimidation tests affect anyone in medium blast template), and Mentalist (+2 to opposed Psionics rolls). My powers are Puppet, Mind Wipe, and Slumber.

With four advances, I could increase my Spirit and Smarts to d10 and my Taunt, Psionics, Intimidation, and Persuasion to d10s. Or I could leave those skills at d8 and pick up Elan, Charismatic, and Reliable with room to pick up Calculating. The first option gives me d10 rolls in everything important to me. The second option gives me Elan and free rerolls in everything but casting and the option to do multi-actions without penalty some of the time. Which option do you think would result in more successes?

Since you can only increase 1 Attribute per Rank, unless those 4 advances crosses a Rank in the middle, you can't increase both Spirit and Smarts to d10, and your 4 skills to d10. 2 Advances would have to be at the lower rank (Attribute increase, Skill increases), and the other 2 would have to be at the higher rank (Attribute increase, Skill increases).
    Savage Summaries-RAW, with added info from Clint:Combat Actions,Cover,Healing,Using Powers,Grappling,Chases
    Also:Persuasion,Better Bosses,Better Combat Rating
    And:historical tech levels,generic SW sci-fi tech levels

Comment

• Toa Lewa
      Toa Lewa commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, the first advance is the last advance before moving up in rank.

A character is better defined by their Edges (and Hindrances) than by their Trait die types. Besides, a reroll is vastly more superior to the success of a roll than a die bump. And each +1 static bonus is about equivalent to one-and-one-half die bumps; so a +2 bonus gives the same odds as if you increased the Trait by three die types.

In SW, Trait dice are only marginally important for success. Mostly they are used as thresholds for Edges that augment in more useful ways. You character would be better served by taking Edges.

Or I could... pick up Elan, Charismatic, and Reliable with room to pick up Calculating.
    Elan is a Background Edge, and for good reason: A) It is quite powerful, and B) thematically it represents a character's inner strength; it would require justification (and hence GM approval) to suddenly develop that. Charismatic is also a Background Edge, and also subject to GM approval if taken after character creation.

There's a reason the 'Background Edges' category exists, and why Charismatic isn't just grouped with the Social Edges. Granted, it's not my table, and I have no control over what your GM allows, but those are the developers intentions behind such categorization.

The first option gives me d10 rolls in everything important to me. The second option gives me Elan and free rerolls in everything but casting and the option to do multi-actions without penalty some of the time.
    This may just be me being pedantic, but that collection of Edges would only give you free rerolls on Persuasion and support rolls. Incidentally, this would include Psionics rolls made to support. You won't get free rerolls on "everything."

Also, Calculating doesn't let you ignore MAP... it reduces penalties on one action by 2. Those penalties can come from a MAP, but the other action you take in the turn would still receive them. That's an important distinction to make.

And lastly, Elan only applies when a Benny is spent; it does not apply to the free rerolls gained from Charismatic or Reliable.
    Last edited by Deskepticon; 01-15-2020, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Toa Lewa View Post
      I'm mostly focused on Tests and Support actions. I currently have a d8 in Smarts, Spirit, Persuasion, Intimidation, Taunt, and Psionics. For edges, I have
      Killer Instinct (free reroll on tests), Rabble-Rouser (Taunt and Intimidation tests affect anyone in medium blast template), and Mentalist (+2 to opposed Psionics rolls).
      Get the Reliable Edge. Between that and Killer Instinct, you'll get a free Reroll on all Support and Test rolls.
      Background Edges
      Players can choose these Edges after character creation with a little rationalization.
      You haven't suggested what your rationalization might be and that could be a serious barrier to taking those edges. Especially if the GM doesn't approve.
      Elan is great but only activates if you've spent a benny to Reroll the Trait roll. Trait rolls caused by spending a benny (Soak) aren't affected and neither are free rerolls.

I think your best split would be Smarts d10, Psionics and Taunt d10, Reliable, and Bolster to counter other folks using Tests.
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• Toa Lewa
        Toa Lewa commented
        Editing a comment
        My GM is fine with me taking Charismatic and Elan. It actually works well with what my character has been through and has learned.
    Working...
    X