Abstract star mapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gigacanuck View Post
    Question: on average, how many solar systems is that?
    In the rules? Undefined.
    In your fiction? However many you want.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by gigacanuck View Post
      Question: on average, how many solar systems is that?
      Indeterminable.

The rules only state that exactly 10 planets within a Sector are "inhabited," while the number of uninhabited planets varies. It's unclear from the language if the "uninhabited" planets are still habitable (but no one lives on them), or if they are intended to include gas giants and lifeless terrestials. But let's go with the latter.

In any case, not every solar system (star) is going to contain planets, and even those systems that do won't always have one able to support/sustain life. Even if we say the ratio of habitable to uninhabitable planets is 1:200, that gives us a total of 2010 planets to a Sector. Determining how many star systems that is is a crapshoot. To find an average, we'd have to know the maximum number of planets a system can have compared to the minimum, which is zero. The answer can only be speculative.

The answer is further complicated by the fact that the rules don't model spacial distance, but travel time through hyperspace. The concept I postulated of drawing a "circle" around your current location to represent a Sector is merely that; conceptual. A more accurate visual representation might be a "splat", with longer tendrils stretching off in one direction or another.

A system modeled off distance would be easy to get an answer for since we could use real world parallels for that. For instance, there are 83 star systems within 20 LY of Sol (and 109 individual stars when accounting for binary systems). Source: Atlas of the Universe

Comment

I went with a simple approach: each sector contains specific worlds, both inhabited and unexplored stars. Travelling to unexplored systems takes a lot longer since there is no charted route through the warp. It does not matter where you are in the sector: if you want to travel to another sector it takes the same time no matter where you start from. I did use the star mapper from Cc3 pro to make an overall galactic map but it is more to get an overall idea of the galaxy vs a Traveller type map.

Comment

Working...
        X