• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SWD, Sci-Fi] Building a robot PC

For a starting robot :

Basic robot : 5 Attribute points, 15 Skill points, 5 mod slots : $10k
    Armor +2 : 1 mod, $5k
    Laser Rifle (3d6, ROF 3) : $700 (no mods since it's hand-carried)

...and, gee, I can't think of anything else that's *essential*, so $17k should do it. Some nice perks might be :

Edge (1) : 1 mod, $5k
    Pace (to 6) : 1 mod, $5k
    Trait Bonus (+2) : 1 mod, $10k

For a total of $37k. Maybe the Pace mod is most essential, to prevent the entire party going at Pace 4, so $22k.

Problem is, I can't find anything (by searching) in the Sci-Fi book about a different starting wealth - is it really still $500? If so, by RAW, you could only afford a "basic robot" even with the Geared Up Edge, and nothing else!

A starting wealth of $500 seems ridiculously small, given that almost all basic armor and weapons cost $500 or more (sometimes way more!)

A robot PC doesn't seem to be feasible with the prices the way they appear to be.

Am I missing something?
    Savage Summaries-RAW, with added info from Clint:Combat Actions,Cover,Healing,Using Powers,Grappling,Chases
    Also:Persuasion,Better Bosses,Better Combat Rating
    And:historical tech levels,generic SW sci-fi tech levels

Robotic Player Characters would use a GM created Robot race. Like the Construct race.

The Robot chapter is for creating Non Players. Allies, servants, foes, bystanders, contacts, and more. Need to create a line of sentry robots that players may fight, or purchase to guard their own stuff? Use the Robot rules. Need to create a player character race? Use the race creation rules.

Character starting wealth is $1,000 - as noted on page 13, the beginning of the Gear chapter.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Robot upgrades and costs are only useful after character creation for a robot PC, rather like cybernetic gear, but specifically for robots. New robot PCs are made with the character creation rules, using probably some variant on the Construct race in the Sci-Fi Companion. Base Edges, Hindrances, attributes, and skills are all bought with the normal character rules, and if the PC wants to later, they can spend money to increase those further by spending money and getting Mods installed that use up their Mod Slots, just like a human in a sci-fi setting can typically get cybernetics installed that will give them additional Edges, gear, and skills by using up their Strain.

Comment

Should you really want to go the pure customizable way, like Star Wars Edges of the Empire, give them 15 Build points. They can take Hindrances as normal, and up to 10 points of negative racial abilities to increase this number.

They start with every attribute at d4, Pace 6, and the Construct racial ability, but the rest must be bought with the build points, including positive racial abilities.

Basically, this is the exact number of Build Points a normal character has. 2 times 5 attribute points, 15 times 1 skill points, -8 for the construct ability and -2 for the benefit of having total control over the build points.
        Last edited by dentris; 12-03-2019, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
          ValhallaGH commented
          Editing a comment
          Core skills are not a thing in Deluxe edition, which the OP is specifically asking about.

• dentris
          dentris commented
          Editing a comment
          Why does SWD and SWADE look the same in my mind at a glance. Edited the above post to reflect the Deluxe edition.

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
        Robotic Player Characters would use a GM created Robot race. Like the Construct race.
        So, I still start with 5 Attribute points, 15 Skill points, and 5 Mod slots, but for no $ cost. Construct doesn't mention Attribute or Skill points, but since it's a PC race I'm assuming that. Correct?

Are Parry and Toughness calculated from my Traits as normal (I'm guessing yes, but just want to check)?

Construct mentions that the Geared Up Edge would help pay to fill the Mod slots. But at best, I could fill 1-2 Mod slots with $10k. I'm assuming that because it's a PC race, I get 4 Hindrance Points as normal, that can be applied to Attributes, Skills, or Edges?

Is that the way it's supposed to work?

At least I can still buy the Laser Rifle with the $1000 starting money. BTW, I don't see any mention of $1000 starting wealth in my SWD Sci-Fi (I searched the entire document for "$1000") - I vaguely recall that the SWADE Sci-Fi was coming soon or is already out - is that where that came from?
        Last edited by ZenFox42; 12-03-2019, 03:49 PM.
        Savage Summaries-RAW, with added info from Clint:Combat Actions,Cover,Healing,Using Powers,Grappling,Chases

Comment

Originally posted by ZenFox42 View Post
          So, I still start with 5 Attribute points, 15 Skill points, and 5 Mod slots, but for no $ cost. Construct doesn't mention Attribute or Skill points, but since it's a PC race I'm assuming that. Correct?
          Yes.
          Are Parry and Toughness calculated from my Traits as normal (I'm guessing yes, but just want to check)?
          Yes. Edges, gear, and special abilities apply as normal.
          Construct mentions that the Geared Up Edge would help pay to fill the Mod slots. But at best, I could fill 1-2 Mod slots with $10k. I'm assuming that because it's a PC race, I get 4 Hindrance Points as normal, that can be applied to Attributes, Skills, or Edges?
          Yes.
          Yes.
          I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• ZenFox42
            ZenFox42 commented
            Editing a comment
            I added an edit about the $1000 starting money after you made this post. Could you comment on that? Thanks!

• ValhallaGH
            ValhallaGH commented
            Editing a comment
            ZenFox42 You can use the $1,000 starting funds for anything available in the campaign, including a laser rifle or a really cheap robot mod.

I pulled the number from my SFC pdf that I downloaded from the PEG store. v2, dated 2014.
            See Chapter 2, Gear, page 13. Second paragraph.
            Starting money or gear depends on the
            campaign, but we recommend characters
            in most science fiction campaigns start with
            $1,000 instead of the usual $500.

• ZenFox42
            ZenFox42 commented
            Editing a comment
            I must have v1, altho it's dated 2014, there's no such paragraph on page 13 (which is the first page of the Gear section). Thanks for the update!

Yeah... but with one caveat.
          As a playable race, the robot won't start with 5 "automatic" Mod slots (that's the purview of the Robot build rules only). However, all playable characters have Strain.

For a robot, I'd tie their "Strain" to Vigor; a higher Vigor would represent a reinforced frame, more anchor-points, etc.. You can then allow the character to choose some Mods of the Robot list in lieu of Cyberware. Some Mods are too powerful for PCs, like the Attribute and Size Increase. And Edges should probably be left to Advances, but use your own discretion.

Yep, yep, and yep!

Comment

Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post
            As a playable race, the robot won't start with 5 "automatic" Mod slots (that's the purview of the Robot build rules only). However, all playable characters have Strain.
            From the Sci-Fi Companion : "Constructs may not use cyberware, but they may purchase Modifications from the Robot Modifications Table (page 38). Like all robots, they have 5 Mod slots."

Constructs are listed under Races, so I'm assuming they're a playable character.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
              ValhallaGH commented
              Editing a comment
              You are correct.

• Deskepticon
              Deskepticon commented
              Editing a comment
              Well dang! I missed that somehow.

So, now this is just out of pure curiosity, does the Robot "build" include all the racial mods in the Construct build? If so, why did they call out Construct and Environmental Weakness explicitly? It seems like Dependency, Outsider, and Vow should apply to Robots as well (altho the Power Pack mod implies that Robots only need recharging once per month instead of once per day). So why does Robot only list Construct and EW? And why is Mods mentioned in the description, but not in the racial build list? Inquiring minds want to know...

Comment

It's unclear what you're asking ZenFox.

The Construct race is built using the race rules. The Mods ability is a custom racial ability that replaces cyberware with access to the robot mods system - the much shorter installation times and the ability to quickly remove or replace a mod is why that's rated as a positive ability.

The Construct race includes all the information necessary to play it, instead of referencing another part of the book. That's why the construct and weakness abilities are fully described.

Outsider and Vow are role playing effects. The Robot chapter is for NPCs, and NPCs do what the game master says they do.
              The Dependency ability is a part of the racial balance. If you need fluff for it ... 'the higher processing and evaluation of a free willed being consumes energy at an alarming rate, requiring recharge every day to maintain optimal performance'. But that fluff isn't going to work for all science fiction settings, which is why the mechanics are more important when defining abilities.

Savage Worlds isn't 3.x d20, where every rule is supposed to interact with every other rule. Instead, some rules only apply to some characters and different rules apply to other characters. Player character robots is one of the more prominent instances of that.

Comment

There is, of course, the Power Pack Mod. Here, you have to decide if the operative phrasing is double duration (to 2 days per Fatigue) or 2 months.

However, this is the important question that comes back to the OP. CONSTRUCTS HAVE MAINTENANCE COSTS. Maintenance is 1% of the robot's cost per month, so a Construct PC must have a rated cost to figure this. They might tack on 10% of their cost for every Wound or Incapacitation repaired, though this is not explicitly stared. The fun part of this is that the PC gets hit with an increasing tax at every advance if you simply add up what it would cost to make an identical, NPC robot. This is a glaring, unaccounted for negative ability. While it means nothing in a one-off game, in a long playing campaign, it's huge. This is probably the reason it was dropped from the android race in SWADE.

Also, did anyone notice that if you do the math functions of the Construct build you get 867-53...2? I mean, they were only two steps off

Comment

• Deskepticon
                  Deskepticon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Joint Engineered Nested Neural-Interfacing Electronics (J.E.N.N.I.E.)

couldn't think of anything clever for 'Y'
                  ::shrug::

Originally posted by paladin2019 View Post
                CONSTRUCTS HAVE MAINTENANCE COSTS. Maintenance is 1% of the robot's cost per month, so a Construct PC must have a rated cost to figure this.
                Nonsense.
                Robots have Maintenance costs.
                Constructs are a player character race, and the only maintenance costs they have are the necessities of survival. For most player characters that's food, water, shelter, and ammunition. Because of their abilities, construct player characters need all of those and electricity.

If Constructs required anything more than that then it would be in the race profile.

Comment

• paladin2019
                  paladin2019 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It is in the race profile. The entirety of the second paragraph is literally:

Originally posted by SFC, p7
                  Constructs must pay maintenance costs like all robots (see Maintenance, page 37).
                  But I agree with you that it's nonsense and, apparently, so does PEG. As I noted, this was dropped from the android race in SWADE.
                  Last edited by paladin2019; 12-08-2019, 07:49 AM.

Originally posted by paladin2019 View Post
                Also, did anyone notice that if you do the math functions of the Construct build you get 867-53...2? I mean, they were only two steps off
                Could you please clarify this? I see the Racial dis/advantages as :
                Construct (+8)
                Dependency (–2)
                Mods (+1)
                Outsider Hindrance (Major, –2)
                Vow Hindrance (Major, –2)
                Environmental Weakness (Electricity,–1)

Which adds up to 2, which is what a non-Human race should equal.

Comment

• paladin2019
                  paladin2019 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  8, (8-2=)6, (6+1=)7, (7-2=)5, (5-2=)3, and the sequence breaks.

There's an old song called Jenny and her phone number is 867-5309.
                  Last edited by paladin2019; 12-09-2019, 04:17 PM.

• ZenFox42
                  ZenFox42 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ah! I hate to date myself, but I remember hearing that song on the radio in my youth! Just didn't make the "867-53..." connection, it's been so many years.

• paladin2019
                  paladin2019 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I hate to date myself,
                  And I didn't?
              Working...
              X