X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deskepticon
    Registered Member
    • Aug 2017

Havoc power, Too good?

Havoc is a Novice power that costs 2 PP. It causes the Distracted condition and then requires a Strength roll to resist (at -2 if power got a raise). This means, at the very least, a success will cause everyone in the template to be Distracted, even if they make their Strength check... which is at -2 for being Distracted, -4 if the power got a raise.

The Strong modifier (+1 PP) adds an additional -2 to the Strength roll, and flying targets receive an additional -2 by rote.

So for just 3 PP you can cause all foes in a MBT or Cone to be automatically Distracted, and roll Strength -4 (or -6!) to avoid being hurled 2d6". Cast this at the top of a cliff or highrise rooftop and the fight is a pretty much over.

Fliers can roll with as much as a -8 penalty, but unless they strike an obstacle nothing really happens beyond being Distracted.

I'm not proposing any changes, just want to see what anyone else thinks. Is havoc too strong?
  • Ndreare
    Registered Member
    • Aug 2017

I have nothing real useful to say, but...

I have been making a lot of use out of Havoc and Entangle. I admit both can be really broken powerful in the right situations.

But in other situations we have found them useless, as they seems to need team work to function optimally.

Where Havoc has come in handy the most is when doing it immediately before doing another power that requires a resistance roll. Combined with a test performed afterwards you can have a target that is Distracted, Vulnerable, and potentially shaken set up and ready for the groups brute to take down.

Comment

• Deskepticon
      Registered Member
      • Aug 2017

The power also lacks a specified Strength die, making it difficult to judge how objects are supposed to be handled. By RAW, since they have no Strength, they just automatically go flying.

I guess that makes sense. Even massive creatures, like giants or dragons, are still flung 2d6" if they botch their Strength checks.

Comment

• Deskepticon
        Deskepticon commented
        Editing a comment
        Ndreare That sounds like a good rule.

Or maybe subtract the creature's Size from the "fling distance." So if a dragon with a -6 penalty Crit Fails his d12+8 Strength roll, and the GM rolls a 9 on the 2d6, the Size 8 dragon is only pushed back 1". On anything lower than 9, the dragon might just fall prone, but won't be "flung" anywhere (so no chance of collision damage).

• Ndreare
        Ndreare commented
        Editing a comment
        That could work also. For example in hero system that would be represented by knockback resistance.

• Deskepticon
        Deskepticon commented
        Editing a comment
        I was just thinking... subtracting Size from the "fling distance" would work for objects too. A half-ton car (Size 2) would simply subtract 2 from whatever the result was.

For negative Size objects I'm fine just leaving it 2d6". Wind resistance effects lighter objects more than heavier objects. It's like launching a feather with an initial velocity of 100mph... it'll travel probably 5 feet before drifting to the floor.
    Working...