SWADE = New Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWADE = New Console

Just a small rant but mostly its because I'm so excited for the Companions.

I was a part of the SWADE kickstarter and to be honest I thought it was a little pricey; upwards of 150+ dollars. In the long run, probably going to be worth it but I think you can get a game console for 199 to 299 depending. So its not cheap to get into a pen and paper game such as SWADE.

The other comparison I'm finding is that SWADE feels like a new console. Where you rush out to get the new gaming console of your choice but there are only 2 games for it....in this case...nothing really at all.

Before you all throw eggs at me and tell me that I can make my own adventures and convert something etc...I really am lazy. So let me restate, for a LAZY GM, SWADE feels like a new console as in there isn't too much you can do with it right now as the companions aren't release and not much has been converted.

I love Savage Worlds and have supported this system for a decade+ now--so I feel entitled to throw a little egg at my favorite system. I only do it out of love and it makes me pine for and super excited for the companions that are coming--IMO, these are the 'games' for the console--can't wait for them to be updated!!!

Go Savage!

There are some SWADE settings. Offhand, a few come to mind: Flash Gordon, Rifts, Monster Hunter International, Titan Effect are exaples of having SWADE books (and not just a list of updates from a previous version).

Most of the updates are pretty obvious. A few are decisions, most that I agree with, some that I do not. But since there are no gaming police I can play that game however I want and the only people to care are the members of my gaming group.

I really like the boxed set. I bought enough extras to cover the needs of the gaming group. As I had added multiple decks of cards before knowing what they had in them, I have way more Status cards than I am likely to ever need.

Can it be compared to a new console? I don't think so as those are usually not backwards compatible. I would compare it more to a new Operating System, as while there are differences, they usually do have a larger degree of backwards compatibility. You can still use your old settings. They just might not look as cool as the newer settings (in this analogy, software, or perhaps your analogy of games works best).

Comment

• Ndreare
      Ndreare commented
      Editing a comment
      You forgot Rifts, the coolest setting PEG had put out all month!

• SeeleyOne
      SeeleyOne commented
      Editing a comment
      "Offhand, a few come to mind: Flash Gordon, Rifts .... "

As Seeley said, the changes are not so drastic that it makes it feel like a new system. If anything, they are enhancements and they serve to streamline the system as well as give the players more control. However, I am also excited to see what other products are coming out.. I think 2020 will be a big year for Savages.

Comment

Originally posted by SeeleyOne View Post
      There are some SWADE settings. Offhand, a few come to mind: Flash Gordon, Rifts, Monster Hunter International, Titan Effect are exaples of having SWADE books (and not just a list of updates from a previous version).
      Neither Flash Gordon or Titan Effect are SWADE. They have setting rules that incorporate a few elements from SWADE, but both are meant to be used with the Deluxe Edition. As far as I know there aren't any plans for a fully SWADE-ified Flash Gordon. Titan Effect uses the Super Powers Companion, so they said they'll wait for the new updated companion before updating the setting to SWADE. Oh, and Monster Hunter International hasn't been released to the general public yet (but it shouldn't be much longer now).

Here's a list of SWADE settings that are already out there (fair warning - quality may vary):

- Rifts
      - Robotech
      - Crystal Heart
      - Savage Tokusatsu
      - Legion of Liberty: Superheroes of 1776
      - Sagas & Six-Guns
      - The Dinosaur Protocol
      - StarStreamers
      - Choe Pho
      - League of Seekers
      - H.P. Lovecraft Preparatory Academy
      - Mythic
      - Secret Agents of CROSS

And these are just about to be released:

- Monster Hunter International
      - Wiseguys
      - All For One: RĂ©gime Diabolique 2nd Edition
      - Interface Zero 3.0
      - The After

You also have the SWADE mini-settings book, the mini-settings in The Savage Sign #1, the conversion documents for the official PEG settings and all the Jumpstarts.

There is plenty of SWADE material already out there and much more just around the corner. You shouldn't have to wait too long to have a vast selection of quality material to choose from. Unless a lot of the many already funded kickstarters miss their delivery dates, 2020 is looking pretty good for SWADE settings.
      Last edited by Augusto Antunes; 10-10-2019, 08:43 PM.
      "Did I fire six shots, or only five? Three? Seven. Whatever." - Unkempt Harold

Comment

• Augusto Antunes
        Augusto Antunes commented
        Editing a comment
        ValhallaGH - That's incorrect. There's only one version of the full setting book, the one that uses the SPC and is under the Deluxe Edition rules. The demo kit for the setting has two different versions, one that uses the SPC and one that doesn't, but neither is written for the Adventure Edition. They put out a couple of conversion guides for those who don't wanna wait and wish to update the setting to SWADE themselves and/or remove the need for the SPC, but the actual SWADE edition will only come out after the new edition of the SPC. The author already made that pretty clear. Even the free mini-campaign they just released is still using the Deluxe Edition rules (you can see Charisma is still a thing in the stat blocks) and still has the old Deluxe Edition licensed product logo on the cover.

Nostromo - You're welcome! By the way, Wiseguys was just released to the general public today. It's already up on DriveThruRPG.

JamGame - Fulfilment on the Tyrnador crowdfunding campaign is estimated for early 2020. There are actually several successfully funded kickstarters I didn't mention here. I only mentioned the ones with imminent releases, the ones that are practically done and might actually come out before the end of the year.
        Last edited by Augusto Antunes; 10-11-2019, 04:05 AM.

• SeeleyOne
        SeeleyOne commented
        Editing a comment
        I have all of those listed above except for:

- StarStreamers
        - Choe Pho
        - Mythic

I have looked at some StarStreamers on DriveThru. I could not figure out what it actually is.

I have Mythic on my wish list, and I have never heard of Choe Pro.

• Augusto Antunes
        Augusto Antunes commented
        Editing a comment
        SeeleyOne - StarStreamers is kind of a "living" setting that starts with a very basic premise and then gets expanded in a series of episodic one sheet adventures and small supplements. In some ways, it reminds me of the old Daring Tales series from Triple Ace Games. Choe Pho is a fantasy mini-setting with a sword & sorcery feel. There's not much to it to be entirely honest, but I believe it was actually the very first setting to be released specifically for SWADE.

Hellfrost 2.0 is going to kickstarter soon as well.
      Jeffrey...
      Left is Death!

Comment

• SeeleyOne
        SeeleyOne commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to hear, it could use some cleaning up and (even better) consolidation.

I'm working on a couple settings that will be released under the Fan License and pitched to the community for review and revision. Aiming for soonish... ...

Comment

I don't think it is fair to equate the new edition to a new console. The rules themselves are all you need and are available for just $10 in pdf. Even if you insist that it must be physical product, the only thing you needed to back from the Kickstarter was the core book. The big box of things that pushed your total above $150 and therefore allows you to make the comparison dollar-wise is akin to buying a new console and several additional peripherals like a driving wheel. They are not required for you to play the game, just nice to have. As for the lack of available SWADE games, I have to give you that one, but as with a new console, the initial number of games is small, but will continue to grow over time; however, unlike some consoles backwards compatibility for most older games is there. I guess it boils down to how comfortable you were running SW before the update. I'm a lazy GM too, but I'm running two older settings and even without an official conversion guide for them, the effort to make the change to SWADE has been ridiculously easy. Note that I didn't bother to go through and make physical changes to all NPCs to give them Athletics instead of Climbing, Swimming, and/or Throwing (for example) and just make those adjustments on the fly at the table. If they have Climbing and need to climb, I'll roll that. If they also need to Throw I'll roll that, even if they have different die types. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter much if they are slightly better at one than the other whereas a SWADE NPC would have the single Athletics value. If they have an Edge in their build that has changed, just use the new rules. If the Edge no longer exists, I make a judgement call on what the intent of the NPC having that Edge means and totally wing it. Again, I'm a lazy as they come, which is why SW has been my system of choice for over 10 years since it is the first (and pretty much only) system I have felt comfortable just winging it at the table. As long as everyone has fun, I'm not going to stress over trying to make a precise mechanical conversion.

Comment

Mac40k,

Completely fair and agree with all of your points. I am just being a big baby because I REALLY want the companions and am lazy to boot!

Comment

• Deskepticon
            Deskepticon commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I anxious too. The brains at Pinnacle have hinted at some great new things coming, so it sounds like the Companions will contain more than just a facelift. I'm just a little upset the Martial Artist Comp is so late in the queue... that's the one I'm most excited about.

• Nostromo
            Nostromo commented
            Editing a comment
            Deskepticon, oh please do tell...what have you heard about the companions that give you the impression that they are more than just a facelift? The excitement just continues to grow!

• Deskepticon
            Deskepticon commented
            Editing a comment
            Nostromo Sorry for late reply. I didn't see your comment til just now.

As for an answer... mostly just hints, really. Sorry if I got your hopes up.
            I'll dig through SWADE feedback thread to try and find some specifics, but I recall Shane responding to some feedback with, "We'll handle that in [xyz] Companion." One thing was the ability to legitimately "silence" mages coming to the Fantasy Comp, after some concern over the Mute Hindrance and the verbal casting requirement (which has since been removed). This suggests a possible overhaul to magic to fit with more "traditional" casting requirements (verbal, somatic, and maybe even material components).

There was also a few things considering Martial Artist and other Combat Edges, but my swiss-cheese-brain can't remember the details. ::shame::

There is a conversion doc for Solomon Kane also...I did not see that one mentioned. I am running deadlands and we converted back in April...pretty easy and quick, now with the Six Guns and Sagas stuff out it is pretty much done.

Comment

Working...
          X