Critical Failure vs Setting Rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critical Failure vs Setting Rule

The Core says that a "snake eyes" roll allows the GM to declare what bad thing happens to the character...but this is also referred to as a Setting Rule (Critical Failure). Not a big deal, but it does cause some confusion.

It is a bit confusing that both are simple referred to as Critical Failure but it's worth noting that the Critical Failure setting rule is that such rolls cannot be Bennied out of not that bad things happen on double ones. What's a shame is the roll itself used to just be referred to as "snake Eyes" and if it was only referred to as that it wouldn't be as confusing for new players.

Comment

Double 1s on a Trait+Wild Die roll ("snake eyes") always causes the worse possible thing to happen, but players can spend a Benny to reroll, thus possibly negating the effect. The Critical Failures setting rule makes it so snake eyes cannot be rerolled.

While I can see how that can be confusing, I think a more egregious culprit is the inclusion of a "Small" Hindrance and a "Small" monstrous ability. I'm hoping the upcoming Core Rules revision addresses this. Maybe call the Hindrance "Slight" instead. Just something to set them apart when you are glancing over a monster or character stat block.

Comment

Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post
        ...I think a more egregious culprit is the inclusion of a "Small" Hindrance and a "Small" monstrous ability. I'm hoping the upcoming Core Rules revision addresses this. Maybe call the Hindrance "Slight" instead. Just something to set them apart when you are glancing over a monster or character stat block.
        While I agree with you and DMBobby that the difference between the use of "critical failure" in the core rules as opposed to the optional Critical Failures rule is that the latter roll can't be bennied out of, the 2nd part of your statement loses me. In regards to rolling snake eyes/double 1's, where is this small Hindrance you make reference to? I know of no rule where a hindrance is imposed for rolling snake eyes. Unless you're referring to a snake eyes on a healing roll automatically causing enough wounds to force a PC to make a roll on the Injury table which could result in a minor hindrance. Or sake eyes on a fear roll forcing a PC to roll on the Fear table, which again could result in a minor hindrance. Either of those situations though, could occur on just a simple failure.
        Last edited by kronovan; 10-04-2017, 05:04 PM.

Comment

• Augusto Antunes
          Augusto Antunes commented
          Editing a comment
          He means that there are two different things called "Small" in the book, a Hindrance and a Monstrous Ability. He never said the Small hindrance is imposed by rolling Snake Eyes, just that it is another occurrence in the book of the same term meaning two different things (like "critical failure" referring to both rolling Snake Eyes and a specific Setting Rule).

• Deskepticon
          Deskepticon commented
          Editing a comment
          As Augusto pointed out, I was only giving another example of where terms are used for two different things.

The Small Hindrance has nothing to do with Critical Failures, it was merely brought up as an example of something else PEG could think about changing when they go to the new edition (like my personal bugbear, action and action).

Comment

Originally posted by Matchstickman View Post
          The Small Hindrance has nothing to do with Critical Failures, it was merely brought up as an example of something else PEG could think about changing when they go to the new edition (like my personal bugbear, action and action).
          Oh OK, I was reading it in context to the main discussion around rolling snake eyes - my bad. I'm following it now; "small" is the name of a major hindrance and also a size category. For some reason, that bothers me far less than the dual meanings given to "critical failures."

Comment

Working...
          X