No announcement yet.

Tips for new GM...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here is a little something that might make character creation take longer than it should do to analysis paralysis. or at least, these are major reasons i have witnessed and even experienced

if the creation of a novice character in savage worlds takes more than 10-15 minutes. it is probably for one of the following reasons.

1. you are too busy crunching numbers from a variety of approved materials to create an "Optimal Build" that is extremely complicated. this can be a feature of wanting to do too many things from the core book, piling things from too many settings, or finding a way to finangle your human character to start with three edges of which one or two have extremely harsh prerequisites and are not intended to be blended, like healer, thief and brawny for example. or arcane background (psionics) and thief.

2. the setting is too complicated and includes too much variety in new edges and equipment, this can be either a setting that brings in too many sourcebooks of player character options or a mishmash of several genres with no consideration for how the things interact with each other,

3. your game master homebrewed their own pamphlet that is literally 12 pages long with a mountain of rules modifications and exceptions, but literally didn't make enough copies for the group. this happens at certain tables, the game master is so proud of their homebrew packet, but with 6 players, they only made a GM copy, making character creation take longer, because you have only one copy of the tons of rules modifications and exceptions, if 12 pages is bad enough, imagine a full setting with 150 pages lke interface zero two that completely rewrites how the game operates

4. you are too indecisive on what you want your character to be good at and want to be good at moar things than your character's resources allow. this can be either the guy who is trained in 10 skills or the character who spends all their starting advances on skill points and takes the elderly hindrance because they want to have lots of skills because they cannot bring themselves to narrow down their concept to the essentials.

Comment

Amazing!! Thanks heaps everyone.

Comment

Remember you are killing the characters, not the players. Made that mistake once....

I would say:

1. Be prepared but do not stress over it.
        2. It WILL NOT go as planned. Enjoy the thinking on your feet part.
        3. Do not be afraid of just going with what catches the player's imagination. You can always recycle prep work for a later time
        4. Help the players. Its not a competition. If in your mind its clear that a PC would really be all over something, do not be afraid to mention it to the player. They might be visualizing it different than you.
        5. If they were close but had a crappy roll, feel free to suggest spending a Bennie. I have seen many a crappy miss become a fight/session changing success with one Bennie.
        6. A simple plot made personal is more powerful than an impersonal complex plot.
        7. Celebrate with the players success - be excited when they do something awesome.
        8. Have fun. If its not fun, you are doing it wrong.

Jeffrey...
        Left is Death!

Comment

So much great advice up above I don't want to just repeat. Personally I JUST recorded a video about the things I love in Savage Worlds last week and it's going public Thursday, but I currently have it unlisted so I can share the link early ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-kTXnE9vUE&t=3s )

Other than that if you haven;t run the game yet I'd suggest starting small. Do one of the several test drives out there (google Savgae Worlds Test Drive as there are several), my personal favorite is The Wild Hunt. Also it looks like you have the core book so I'd say look at the adventures in the back. There's several and they span the gauntlet of genres so find one you lie and start there with the archetypes for character gen,

Comment

If you can, do all your random rolls well in advance of play. Not just NPC reactions, but random creature encounters, too. Then write up little tales to weave them into the story. Prarie ticks in Deadlands might be stumbled upon and attack after the posse has set up camp for the day. Bandits in another setting might stalk the party for a few days, and they (of course) need a reason to be there.

Comment

Originally posted by JPKeenan007 View Post

A little bit f fun is to randomly roll dice behind your GM screen, even and especially when nothing is going on.... It keeps those pesky players on their toes
              Especially in a horror setting. This works wonders alongside: GM - "player X, roll perception." player X, "success, what's happening?" GM - "oh, nothing that you notice."

Comment

• Deskepticon
                Deskepticon commented
                Editing a comment
                Or descibe something to them in a way that sounds suspicious so they investigate it... then something else happens and scares the bajeezus out of them.

• Erolat
                Erolat commented
                Editing a comment
                My favorite phrase when doing this: "There were modifiers that I did not tell you about." With this one phrase any number rolled becomes a "What the hell did I just miss?" and becomes even more fun when it is a a really high roll.
            Working...
            X