Bodyguard mechanic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bodyguard mechanic?

is there precedent for a bodyguard mechanic?

i have a player that wants to have a sidekick that always spends his actions getting on the way of the main character. For context it's in a superhero game and the bodyguard has heavy armor. But how to run that mechanic without basically giving the main character invulnerability ?
    Well, you do know what those who underestimate tigers always say, right?
    What?
    They scream “Oh, God, help me, I’m being mauled to death by a tiger.

The easiest way is for the body guard to have Improved First Strike and the Protector modifier for Deflection and Parry.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
      ValhallaGH commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, for an SPC game, that's the best way to roll.
      Don't forget to have the bodyguard leap atop those pesky grenades when he can't just drag the PC out of the way.

Slipstream has an Edge called Guardian, where you get a benny if you take a Wound while defending someone else.
    You're rational, sir. It's only us crazy people who get to swap out realities on a whim.

Comment

If memory serves, there is a Bodyguard Edge in Pirates of the Spanish Main. But remember that the Sidekick is still bound by the same power limit rules as the PC. This means no more than 1/3 their standard pool in a single power. You still get to round up if the amount would be fractional, but take a Street Level campaign for example. They'd be limited to only 7 points per power. At least, I think so. I don't have my books handy, but if I recall correctly Sidekicks get 2/3 the power points as their boss.

Originally posted by tigerguy786 View Post
      i have a player that wants to have a sidekick that always spends his actions getting on the way of the main character. For context it's in a superhero game and the bodyguard has heavy armor. But how to run that mechanic without basically giving the main character invulnerability ?
      This makes me thing the Sidekick should be devoted, but clumsy. He's not just getting in the way of incoming attacks, but of everything. If he's always close enough to block incoming attacks, then he's close enough to get under foot. Outside of combat, he might be overeager and too willing to please. Give him Hindrances like Loyal and All Thumbs; secretly if you have to.

Comment

One is to simply go on Hold, then when someone tries to move into melee you interrupt and engage them. If they try to move out of melee with you to the guy you are guarding, you get a free attack. That gives you two attacks on them. This is by the book, no edges or rules needed.

You could allow a varient of Tricks/Tests of will. A test of will gives you a bonus, a trick gives them a penalty to defense. Allow a trick or Test of Will to instead give the target a penalty to their next action.

Comment

Working...
        X