Question about racial attribute bonus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about racial attribute bonus

I get that it increases the attribute to d6 and the max increases to d12+1, but wouldn’t it have been simpler to just say they start with a +1 to their attribute? So they could go from d4+1 to d12+1? Same with racial skill boosts?

I am curious why pinnacle did it SWADE’s way.

Presumably they did it because static bonuses are game breaking good.

+1 improves Wild Card d12 from 87.5% success to 94.4% success, which is amazing.
    +1 improves Wild Card d4 from 62.5% success to 83.3% success, which is insane.

By improving the attribute die type, the success rates stay the same across the entire dice range while still making the attribute race better at every equivalent investment. Also, die type increases can be stacked with less ruinous results than increased static bonuses.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Look at D&D3/Pathfinder to see the problem with stacking static bonuses. Even with their strict rules for how bonuses stack, static bonuses still dominate those games.

Comment

Hmm...I don’t know that the probabilities are a problem. But I did realize there is a less mathematical answer:

Because a race with a D6+1 Attribute would still have a d6 skill limit, so it would be less effective skill-wise than actually raising the attribute a die step.

Comment

• Ilina_Young
          Ilina_Young commented
          Editing a comment
          a d6+1 attribute is actually better than a d8 attribute when it comes to chance of success, gives extreme stackability and doesn't meaningfully reward the race with the skill and edge requirement benefits of that higher attribute, and that higher attribute should raise the skill cap and make edge requirements easier.

• Vinzent
          Vinzent commented
          Editing a comment
          All good points.
      Working...
      X