Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• supporting limit

Hey all!
    In the SWADE rule book it says that a character supporting another gives a +1 with a success and a +2 with a raise (and that a character can get a support bonus of up to +4 for non-strength rolls). This implies that a character supporting action would give up to +2.
    Now, I would definitely keep the +4 limit, but I want characters who roll well on their support rolls to be able to assist with more than +2. From your experience, does it greatly affect balance of the system?

Thanks ahead

No because I want everyone to participate.

Comment

Originally posted by OK5 View Post
      Hey all!
      In the SWADE rule book it says that a character supporting another gives a +1 with a success and a +2 with a raise (and that a character can get a support bonus of up to +4 for non-strength rolls). This implies that a character supporting action would give up to +2.
      Correct. Each supporting character can contribute +1, or +2 with a raise. However, the acting character cannot receive a combined bonus higher than +4 (except on Strength rolls).

Now, I would definitely keep the +4 limit, but I want characters who roll well on their support rolls to be able to assist with more than +2. From your experience, does it greatly affect balance of the system?

Thanks ahead
      A +2 bonus is Very Good, and a +4 bonus is practically an Instant Success. Allowing a single character to add more than +2 can be done, but should probably only be reserved for extremely rare circumstances. Even a +2 will boost the acting character's chance of success above 90% against TN 4. And she can still spend a Benny to reroll if she fails. So allowing for higher bonuses will skew the outcome favorably.

The thing to keep in mind is the Supporting character is merely "helping." Regardless of how high he rolls, he can only help so much. Because of exploding dice, sometimes a Supporting character can roll high enough to beat the TN themselves. But they still *only* add +2 to the roll.

Them's the breaks!

Comment

In addition if you have several characters that can help and the first one maxes out the bonus the others don't get to help at all. Capping the per character assistance to +2 allows more people to feel involved.
        I have way too much time but do not always edit myself properly. Please do not take offense.

Comment

• Radecliffe
          Radecliffe commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly.

• Deskepticon
          Deskepticon commented
          Editing a comment
          If everyone is joining in the Support, it might be better to restructure the scene as a Dramatic Task.
      Working...
      X