Power that makes mundane objects do damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power that makes mundane objects do damage

Is there a power that could turn a deck of cards into metal so you could throw them for damage? Smite adds a flat plus to damage, which doesn’t quite cover it.

Well, there's the Improvised Weapon rules for things that have an appreciable amount of mass (chairs, glass bottles, a heavy book, etc).

For giving anything else a damage potential, smite would be the power. If the character has a theme (i.e., throwing explosive playing cards) then simply Trap your powers as that item. Bolt is a single thrown card, burst is a fan of cards, etc.

The Wizard Edge may be needed to "charge" other objects, depending on how rigid the Trapping is. For example, can he *only* use playing cards? If not then I'd simply allow the character to pickup a handful of stones or whatever else is available to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Kramrassa View Post
      Is there a power that could turn a deck of cards into metal so you could throw them for damage?
      That's a trapping of bolt or burst. Metal playing cards is pretty cool, as trappings go, and having to carry them around is clearly some kind of limitation. Depending upon the Arcane Background being used, that could easily justify a trapping-based cost reduction or improved effect.

If you're just trying to kill people with a pack of playing cards then you'd be using an Improvised Weapon. The Improvisational Fighter Edge makes that more effective, but doesn't change the underlying game mechanics.
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• dentris
        dentris commented
        Editing a comment
        Unless it is a very gritty game, I would rule that as long as the character has PP, he has a deck of cards on him to use as ammo. Alternatively, it could also be a ''Gambit-style'' limitation. He can turn any sort of small objects metallic and hurl them for 2d6 damage, but he just prefers to have playing cards. As such, if he ever ran out of playing cards or if he is searched and stripped, pebbles or even gnawed fingernails could do the trick.

• Lord Lance
        Lord Lance commented
        Editing a comment
        ValhallaGH well, actually that -1 MAP is almost the equivalent of "+1 to hit" (but it pushes the mage to throw multiple cards, a classic of the genre), so it's worth an edge. Imho it's a good power-up in exchange for the limitations. Also, he can always do a special "overcharged" card, when he needs tons of damage, throwing a 3d6 bolt. You can't do that, with a bow or similar weapons.

• ValhallaGH
        ValhallaGH commented
        Editing a comment
        Lord Lance +1 to hit is very different from "negate 1 of this specific kind of penalty", since attack bonus applies all the time while penalty negation only matters when the penalty applies.
        Trademark Weapon indicates that +1 to a single, removable, attack source is only half an Edge. PEG beefed that up with an equally removable +1 Parry.
        Marksman gives us a solid comparison of those two design spaces, negating 2 points of penalty from several common sources or providing +1 if there are no appropriate penalties.
        Your version negates part of one kind of penalty, in exchange for reduced range (normal bolt range is now Smarts x2) and making the power removable (removing the playing cards). That's about a quarter of an Edge to compensate for two separate and serious drawbacks. The player's better off ditching the cool "steel playing cards" Trapping and instead going with classic "magic missile".
        Last edited by ValhallaGH; 08-14-2019, 12:06 PM.

The spell from the original source also effectively turned cards into knives. Just standard knife damage, but you could hold cards like a fan and not be counted as unarmed. Any ideas for that?

Comment

The spell from the original source also effectively turned cards into knives. Just standard knife damage, but you could hold cards like a fan and not be counted as unarmed. Any ideas for that?
        Smite? Warrior's Gift (Martial Artist)? They'd need some trapping changes, but either of those could work.
        Savage Worlds doesn't really have much "magical melee weapons" powers. Telekinesis lets you use weapons with magic, and arguably so can elemental manipulation now, but there's not really any powers that make weapons appear. You can put that as a trapping on a number of powers (damage field, smite, warrior's gift, etc.) but that makes them work a specific way and requires some negotiation with the GM.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

I would use warrior's gift to gain Martial Artist. That basically covers everything you listed.
          Knife damage? Check.
          Armed defender? Check.

And the +1 to Fighting (when using cards) can be justified by how familiar and comfortable the player is using them.

Comment

Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post

I would use warrior's gift to gain Martial Artist. That basically covers everything you listed.
            Knife damage? Check.
            Armed defender? Check.

And the +1 to Fighting (when using cards) can be justified by how familiar and comfortable the player is using them.
            Think that could have self and aspect limitations if you just wanted it for Martial Artist?

Comment

• Deskepticon
              Deskepticon commented
              Editing a comment
              Certainly!
              But then you'd also be limiting your ability to Trap other Edges as "metal cards". I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just that it's something you might want to consider.

But knocking 2 PP off the casting cost of warrior's gift might be worth it if the character is going to rely on other spells in combat.

• Lord Lance
              Lord Lance commented
              Editing a comment
              You could simply take the edge Martial Artist, and apply a Trapping, telling other players that your character isn't a real martial artist, simply he creates mana shield when attacked, so he can easily "parry" the attacks, or overcharges his dresses so he can make them hard and sharp, so he can cut away the enemy's head with his forearm.
              Getting the wanted effects from an edge, and describing in a different way during the narration, is a standard habit, in Savage Worlds (as in other, even more effect-driven systems).

... Is this source Deadlands Classic? Because this sounds like a huckster spell. One that became the default trapping for bolt and burst powers for Reloaded hucksters.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post

... Is this source Deadlands Classic? Because this sounds like a huckster spell. One that became the default trapping for bolt and burst powers for Reloaded hucksters.
              Its a class from the April Fools edition of Palladium Books’ quarterly periodical, “The Rifter.” The class is all low cost, highly specialized spells that deal with cards. They’re charismatic, entertaining, and their magic comes way out of left field in a setting where there are spells called “Orb or Annihilation.” One of my favorite spells is 52 Card Pickup, you toss a full deck of cards (52, no less no more) on the ground and everybody within a radius is mystically compelled to pick them up, count them, and put them in order. Everybody cooperates and finishes it in a timely manner. It also counts as a curse in Palladium so it’s a little harder to resist. If anybody is attached at all the spell is broken for them. I had a character use the spell to walk past security.

I will see see if I can find out more about this huckster class though.

Comment

I will see see if I can find out more about this huckster class though.
                Wizards that gamble with demons for power, usually in card games, and these spells usually manifest spectral cards in their hands and card effects upon the world.
                In the Classic rules, they have a lot of quirky and evocative spell including 54 Card Pick Up and steel throwing cards.
                Much of that carries over into Reloaded, including a lot of the evocative names.

Comment

The little bit I read on Hucksters is pretty cool. Wonky magic and slow regen, not quite what I’m going for but still fun. Their 52 card pickup was blast Or hurst I think, so just damage. For my version of 52 card pickup I’d pick Slumber and have a conversation with the GM. I thought stun but the original power is longer duration, not resisted with “vigor,” and stops when someone is attacked. Aoe slumber is a closer fit than aoe stun.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
                    ValhallaGH commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I would go with Confusion aoe, but I can kind of see Slumber with a strange trapping.

• Deskepticon
                    Deskepticon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Does "52 Card Pickup" also mind wipe a target? I ask because in your example you said you used it to walk past a guard. After he's done organizing the cards, though, he'd still know you duped him, right? He'd still pull the alarm or come chasing after you.

I ask because I think it makes the difference between using slumber and confusion. A "sleeping" target would understandably not know what happened while they were "asleep", but a confused target would be able to piece things together once they are no longer confused.

It did not have a mind wipe effect. I used it and then the party walked past the checkpoint, the setting was a multi tiered super dimensional everything goes place called Phase World. We just kept moving forwards and were effectively lost in the crowd shortly after. It’s a great spell for simply leaving a place. I would definitely go for confusion, but the duration is one turn and this thing lasted a few minutes, scaled down for the number of people picking up the cards. I never used it to get The Drop on anyone.

Comment

• Deskepticon
                    Deskepticon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Talk to the GM about possibly extending the Duration to 5 rounds for +2pp.

• paladin2019
                    paladin2019 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That, or be ready to drop 1PP/target for each additional round/target turn.
                Working...
                X