No announcement yet.

[SWADE] Is Feint weak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t know what this “throwin shade” is.

Just to be clear I am not supporting players deciding what they roll. They come with suggestions but the GM does a ruling and decides what is to be rolled.

Other than that we are in total agreement. I want to “[have players] choose how their character reacts to something, and that 'something' is tied to game statistic, then the player will most likely choose to act in their best interest. Specifically, they would attempt to justify how their best Trait can be used, simply because you are allowing them to choose it”. I could not have said it better myself. That is exactly the type of game I want. Where players do things that make sense to their characters and are in their characters interest not things that are allowed in the rules. I want to be able to tell a story, describe a scene not execute a ruling.

Again we are in total agreement. I will do that. I need to try out my suggestion so that I can get some actual data on the subject and not just my words and opinions.
    Last edited by lomanjax; 08-07-2019, 01:15 PM.

Comment

As a player picking an Edge I can see people thinking its weak. But it turn it around and I am not so sure. I had a GM come after my Orc Pugilist with a couple of Extras with Feint and a brawler. My guy has a d6 Smarts and it was pretty effective when that is all the extras were doing. There was another enemy that was throwing Entangle, so in reality the Test was just replicating it. But I thought it was rather nasty from a tactics perspective. I think roguish fighters would do well with this edge if they happened to be attacking something really big and dumb - another way to help someone else be better if your PC cannot deal much damage in a situation.

(oh, and my Pugilist cracked the brawler in the head with 30+ points of damage - so there ).
      Jeffrey...
      Left is Death!

Comment

To the OP:

Without thinking about it or justifying my love for it, I have to say "yes".

That is, my players (the experienced ones who have played SW since it was gonna be called Wild Cards back in 2003?) would never take it. Sorry, but it's a wasted edge in almost any setting we have ever played.

Comment

Originally posted by screenmonkey View Post
          To the OP:

Without thinking about it or justifying my love for it, I have to say "yes".

That is, my players (the experienced ones who have played SW since it was gonna be called Wild Cards back in 2003?) would never take it. Sorry, but it's a wasted edge in almost any setting we have ever played.
          That was my initial thought as well, but the more I pondered about it, the less I considered that to be the case. It certainly is a niche Edge, and not worth it for a large number of builds.

But suppose you create a warrior with Strength d8 and Smarts d4. The buy-in to get any Smarts-based skill to d8 will be 5 points... but it would also cost 5 points (equivalent) to get Fighting d8 and the Feint Edge. After that, the Edge just keeps on giving, literally halving the investment to perform both Agility- and Smarts-based Tests.

Assuming the warrior is going to increase Fighting to d12+2 anyway, the total buy-in*, including the Feint Edge, is 13 points. The two-skill approach would still cost the warrior 11 points to increase Fighting to d12+2, plus an additional 13 for the other Smarts-based skill, for a total of 24 points.

*Advances are valued at 2 points. To keep the exercise simple, assume there are no Strength or Smarts increases.

Now, that's not saying the Feint Edge has an evaluation equal to 5-6 Edges over it's lifetime. There's nuance to consider. The Feint-fighter is losing out on the other benefits of having an actual Smarts-based skill (whatever it may be), and his Tests are generally only good in a combat context. Whipping your sword out to Distract a prison guard so your buddy can sneak in would probably work, but at what cost? Your buddy's mission can be compromised while the guards are dragging you to a cell.

Regardless, for this "optimized" build, the character is getting a good deal of value out of the Edge. But for characters that won't boost Fighting over d8, Feint is decidedly not a great option.

Comment

Working...
          X